• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm screwed

The other day I didn't drink much water and so my poop came outreally hard and now I have a fissure. I normally use what the doctor gave me but I accidentally left it at home and this medication is not something you get at CVS. What should I do? I can't soak because their is no tub at college. I am thinking about getting vaseline but I have never done that before so I don't know what to do. I just know that if I move wrong it re-opens and I bleed a tiny bit so I put a piece of toilet paper there which seems to have made it worse. I can't go to the school doctor tomorrow because I can't skip my 8 am and the doctor comes at 7:30 but I am afraid that I will miss class and it is an important one so I have to wait till Wednesday to see him.

Thanks everyone, I hope I didn't just screw up my college career.

Kev

hey Jeff.. Couple of thoughts.. Can u get in to see the Dr after your 8 AM class? How about an overnite courier to get the meds you left at home delivered to you @ school
Another thing, since there are no tubs, try the local pharmacy/drug store for a 'sitz' bath (sp?). It looks like a plastic sombrero, sits in the toilet, turns it into like a 'bidet' for soaking sore parts. When not in use, it can be washed and stored out of sight. I think regardless of how this fissure thing turns out, you may want to add a sitz bath to your arsenal (No pun intended). I don't think you screwed up your college career. I just think you need to collect your thoughts, weigh your options, perhaps talk to the college counsellor or resident advisor, tell them you are momentarilly having a little physical setback, and ask them for their advice.

Yeah I just freaked out last night. I don't know abouta sitz bath because the last time I used one you had to have running water like from a tub or something and I don't have a place to sit. I'm going to go to student health after lunch and talk to them about what I should do.

Thanks for your support.

Hey Jeff... don't worry about ruining your college career. Last year I was in the hospital for a whole week and skipped classes due to Crohn's. I probably ended up missing a total of two weeks of classes from my first semester, and I still ended up with a 2.7. Was I pissed with the GPA? YES... but it just fueled me to do better the next semester and I ended up with a 3.8. I'm not sure how your college works, but with mine, its mostly about relative grades... as long as you score in the upper 20% of all of your tests, you should be alright due to grade curves. So if the average on a test is 70% for your class, if you have a low B or middle B, you should be fine. Especially if you are completing all of your homework.

Having missed all of those days last semester I only ended up with one D and thats because my speech TA deducted points from the speech that I was supposed to give while I was in the hospital. I brought her doctors notes and everything, and she still stated that "Your speech wasn't given on time like the rest of the class' was"... I was like "Well SOOOOORRRY the hospital doesn't have a distance learning system in the rooms!" :)

Oh and I have a fissure as well, so I'm in the same boat... hasn't been as bad lately though... I bought Cottonelle wipes to make things happier.

Good luck with everything!

I went to the nurse today and found out they have tubs in the back so tomorrow I'm going to take advantage of that. I also bought some preperation h and hopefully those two things help me get my tush back in order. It just freaked me out at first because I hadn't had one in a while. I hope yours goes away soon Katie.

Kev

There you go, some good news. I'd talk privately with the pharmacist the next time you run low on the prep h. Ask if there is a better over the counter (OTC) product they'd recommend. One of my GI's once told me that he thought pretty little of prep h. Rated it as ineffective, and of no benefit to me. Course, US & Canadian versions may be different. Or the pharmacist may know of a generic thats better & cheaper.

Yeah I am just hoping it keeps me alive till Friday when my parents can bring me some dibucain ointment. Now thats the stuff. Complete loss of pain in the area and almost instant healing.

K

kpratte

I've used my son's butt cream and that has worked well to ease the issues down under. Eucerin aquaphor is my fav.

"Your speech wasn't given on time like the rest of the class' was"... I was like "Well SOOOOORRRY the hospital doesn't have a distance learning system in the rooms!"
Ahh yes, college, a place of learning from people who could care less whether or not they even have students that learn. ;)

- Ken

K

kpratte

Jeff D. said:
My college is so small that everyone knows everyone and teachers get pissed if you miss their class.
That's amazing. Most places have the professors that would rather most of their students not show and fail. At first I was taken back with that whole thing, then I graduated and figured out that they were prepping me for the real world. :ylol2:

- Ken

If you have a legitimate excuss then they won't care much but my biology teacher did. He taught my class because my teacher couldn't for about two months and now she is back and she is really nice but the other guy was an asshole who just seemed to be a pissed off sort of dude.

In regards to problems with universities...

Hey,

I've completed one degree before and should complete my next one in a month or so. I've dealt with professors who don't really care that you are sick. I've also been on the other end of this as well as a TA, dealing with students' excuses. In general, most professors and TAs act that way as a defense. There are many selfish kids out there who would fake an illness because they just didn't finish an assignment on time. Some people are compassionate and some aren't regarding illness. You're basically going to see more sympathy the further along in your education you get. However, there has to be something better, right?

There is! In my undergrad I had to rely on an emergency system that every university has set up. When I had my first flare up, I missed a week of classes and lost nearly 10 lbs. I was going to fail an 8-week class because the midterm was like two days after my flare subsided. I thought to myself, "this isn't my fault, I'm not going to fail a class because of all of this!" So I went to the emergency dean. I pleaded my case with her and she let me drop the class. At first, she was a little hesitant since I had a rough academic record my first two years of college. I said, "I missed all of my classes last week, didn't eat anything and now I have to get a colonoscopy because the doctors don't know what is wrong!!" I hit a personal spot dear to her. She's had like seven or nine scopes in her life and had previously been diagnosed with both CD and UC. She immediately dropped my class. I went back to see her like a year later after I pulled my academic life together and told her all about my life with CD.

That was a close call though. When I started graduate school, I thought, there has to be a better way to deal with all of this. I talked to some people at the student services department on campus. I asked them what I should do to make sure that a professor gives me some leniency if I am having some health problems. The solution was to register as a student with disabilities. Wow, I never thought of myself as disabled. However, they assured me that it's a fairly simple process. At the beginning of the semester, we sit down and create a contract that I take to each professor. The professor and I discuss what kind of "special needs" that I require. Mainly I tell them that I might be skipping class if I am sick and might require a little bit more time to do the homework. So far, I haven't had a problem with any professors over this.

To sum it up: A lot of progress has been made in schools and companies for people with health problems. What should you do? Find out what solutions exist for you and take action!!

Managing a hectic life with Crohn's is fairly challenging, but we all can support each other through the hard times.