• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stretching

I would like to try an experiment starting with our forum. I believe that by stretching we will alleviate stress which is often one thing that triggers our being sick. I also think that for those of us who get constipation it will make things more regular and also for people who get D that it could possibly help regulate them as well.

I'm going to in future posts add a list of stretches from that I believe will benefit us. I remember when I was stretching a half hour a day I was healthiest. I don't yet have scientific evidence or theories behind how stretching could benefit those with Crohn's but the least it will do is make you limber if you try. It could also help many with joint problems by allowing fluid to move in the joints rather than staying static.

In the next few posts over the next few days I will be adding stretching routines and my own diary of how things are going. I am a Crohn's patient who often gets constipation so I'm hoping this will benefit me.

Jeff D. said:
those of us who get constipation

I dream of constipation, oh the thought of making it through an 8 hour night of sleep.

I did a good amount of stretching when I was able to work out and lift weights last summer, but I was out of the flare, so I can't analyze any correlation, as any such analysis would be flawed due to the variables.

JeffD - agreed! It's the one thing I can still do regular when I think to, and it muist help a bit. Anything to get the body relaxed has got to - I was into the basic pilates as well until this flare but the core stuff was too rough overall. One day a return. Great idea though - look forward to your posts.

The first type of stretching I will cover is static stretches which should be done before moving on to other types of stretches. If you move along to quickly then you could really hurt yourself by straining or pulling your muscles. I'm going to focus on stomach and leg exercises to allow the glutes to loosen up.

Remember to stretch the biggest muscles first and then work down to the smallest muscles.

Quadriceps stretch:
Lie facedown on the ground. Bring one leg up towards your butt and hold for thirty seconds. Slowly bring it down to regular. Switch legs and repeat.

Hamstrings stretch:
Sit on the ground. Both legs should be straight out. Now slowly go towards your max stretch. Now hold for thirty seconds. While you are holding breathe in slowly and deeply and push a little further every time and just about half an inch.

Groin stretch: (Now this one will make you go)lol
Sit on the ground. Bring your feet together so your soles of your feet are touching. Now sit up as straight as you can and breathe in deeply, as you exhale slowly bring your head down towards your feet.

Abdominal stretch: (Don't do if you have just had surgery)
Lie on your stomach. Put your arms in pushup position and just lift your torso off the ground. Don't lift your hips up.

Calf stretch:
Find a stair or something raised off the ground. Put one foot on it and push your heel down.

This is my list for the first day. Hold every stretch for thirty seconds and repeat each three times.

Static stretches are the basic stretches you learn in PE class but they are very good for flexibility. At a certain point static stretches won't work anymore and you will need to do different exercises to keep limber.

BWS1982 said:
I dream of constipation, oh the thought of making it through an 8 hour night of sleep.

I did a good amount of stretching when I was able to work out and lift weights last summer, but I was out of the flare, so I can't analyze any correlation, as any such analysis would be flawed due to the variables.
Be careful what you wish for.

A nights sleep may be nice, but try moving when you haven't been to the toilet for two weeks. Worst time of my life.

As for the OP, I find stretching to the left and right useful when trying to 'dislodge' somthing. I'm not easily stressed though, so I don't really need to stretch for the mental aspect.

No doubt, I do not mean to undermine the severity of any suffering from constipation, just me whining about the fact I haven't slept a full night in about 3 months, and am sick of the frequent trips.

I'm hoping though that stretching may allow the bowels, since they are muscles, to get stronger and may help with controlling our bowels. At first you should probably stretch near a bathroom but over time you should start to feel better and better. Maybe you stretch in the morning and go to the bathroom but that could potentially be one of your only times you have to go. I'm only making a hypothesis but that's why I need people to cooperate and help make this hypothesis a theory or maybe disprove my theory. In anyway who ever does my routine will end up in better shape then they started for the most part. It is easier on the body then a full workout and still allows muscles to be used.