• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnant and crohns

I was diagnosed while in college, had my daughter at age 28 and my son at age 35. I felt better pregnant than I had since I was diagnosed, but I realize not all would say that. First part of pregnancy and right after are key times for possible flares, due to hormones. My GI just urged me not to get pregnant while the Crohn's was flaring.

Hi - I was pregnant with my 2nd child when i was diagnosed, i was on steroids throughout the pregnancy.

My Crohns' is unusual in that it got worse when i was pregnant - it also gets worse during my period so hormones must make mine worse.

@Quicks. They say that if you are already doing really well before you get pregnant, chances are that you will stay the same. (that doesn't always happen, of course)

For me, i was in a flare when I got pregnant, and I was sick the whole pregnancy, but baby was completely healthy.

I think it's 1/3 or people get better when pregnant, 1/3 stay in the same condition, and 1/3 of people get worse.

i'm currently 19 wks pregnant dx ibd "undeterminate type" for 12 years. with my now 2 yr old son, my symptoms got better. i felt great! enjoyed for the first time ever not having diarrhea. pregnancy usually constipates women, so i guess for an ibd'er this helped me have normal bms, something i've never experienced. BUT this pregnancy is completely different. i'm currently in a flare and perhaps the worst i've been in yet. being pregnant and flaring is no fun. i'm having a difficult time controlling my symptoms with the limited amount of medicine they're willing to prescribe while pregnant. since i'm flaring and also have a history of kidney stones i'm classified as high risk now. but i dont think crohns alone makes you high risk. my baby is fine though its just me thats falling apart!

i am 13 weeks i was just told a week ago that i hacw crohns i was 12 weeks i had a flar up i thought i was loosing my baby they gave me pred but cant take it i am going to try hurbs i am scared of what i read abot crohns then bein pregnant is even harder but i been fine sence a week ago all i have done is cry i feel i am never going to be happy again i am scared every day its going to happen again it sucks

They have only given you prednisone? Why don't you ask if they can put you on something else? You definitely need treatment, especially when pregnant. I took Humira during my whole pregnancy and baby was totally healthy. Are you seeing a GI doc to help with your Crohn's?

i know my gi doesnt want to prescribe anything while i'm pregnant....was even hesitant to give me zofran :-/ i did take a 5 day course of pred which helped until i finished it. i would certainly ask what they would like to do for you as far as treatment during pregnancy. i'm sure its scary esp wanting to do whats best for baby but sometimes not taking medicine can do more harm than the medicines themselves.

Wow Tx. Im' surprised he doesn't want you to take anything! They told me that it was much better for me to be on medicine than to not be on medicine and get a lot worse than I already was. It's crazy to me how different opinions are on this. Have you tried a 2nd opinion? If you are really sick you might want to think about it. or have you talked to your OBGYN about it?

They have only given you prednisone? Why don't you ask if they can put you on something else? You definitely need treatment, especially when pregnant. I took Humira during my whole pregnancy and baby was totally healthy. Are you seeing a GI doc to help with your Crohn's?
yea thats the only thing they tryed yea i see a gi i know they have hurbs for it my stomach is secative to any meds so its hard for me to be on any i feel fine its ben a week sence my first flare up

Wow Tx. Im' surprised he doesn't want you to take anything! They told me that it was much better for me to be on medicine than to not be on medicine and get a lot worse than I already was. It's crazy to me how different opinions are on this. Have you tried a 2nd opinion? If you are really sick you might want to think about it. or have you talked to your OBGYN about it?
We are a military family so a referral is hard to come
By the first time much less for a second opinion :( the woman's center is even worse. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the system and caught between doctors...no one wanting to prescribe anything because I'm pregnant. So I not so silently suffer at home. I did talk to the OB yesterday however about trying to transfer to a civilian OB but it's up to a case manager to approve it or not.

We're a military family too! what branch are you in? We're not living on a base right now, but will be moving to one in Aug, but last time we did live on base, because of the Crohn's they referred me out to a civillian doctor. You could always switch to Tricare Standard too. The only thing about that, is you have a $1,000 deductible a year. I chose to go that route before and it wasn't bad. I could pick what doc I wanted to go to, and for me it was worth it. I do not trust the base doctors, and they even agreed that they weren't qualified enough to help me. Just remember, in the military situation, the squeaky wheel gets the oil! It's not always easy, and it is a hassle, but you really have to fight for yourself.

By the way, I am in no way trying to sound like a know it all or anything. I just know how frustrating the system can be and how it is to have to suffer all of the time. I have had a really rough go the last 12 years. I hope I don't come off as being abrasive or anything like that, not my intention.

Hubby is army. We live on post. I go to a civilian dr for urology and GI but my OB care is on post. Hopefully they'll refer me because it would be so much easier for everyone to be able to have access to all my records. (urology and GI are with the same hospital) I'm considered high risk now so I'm hoping that helps me get transferred.

Hi,
im new to this forum site, but had to reply. I have had Crohns from the age of 18, and have gone on to have 2 beautiful, healthy girls. Please try not to worry. As my Gastro doctor said to me that my body would not have fallen pregnant if my body couldnt cope. Crohns has been kind to me when pregnant, in fact i never felt better, but i know that stress makes my Crohns worse.

Hi,
im new to this forum site, but had to reply. I have had Crohns from the age of 18, and have gone on to have 2 beautiful, healthy girls. Please try not to worry. As my Gastro doctor said to me that my body would not have fallen pregnant if my body couldnt cope. Crohns has been kind to me when pregnant, in fact i never felt better, but i know that stress makes my Crohns worse.
thanks that makes sence i got pregnant before i knew i had crohns i only know a week i am 13 weeks pregnant

Had a miscarriage, and four months later was diagnosed with crohns. The entire pregnancy (12 weeks) was hospitalized twice to dehydration from nausea and diarrhea, and was just told it was stress. After losing the baby, symptoms were definitely worse, and hospitalized numerous times, finally ending up with a crohns diagnosis. Before the pregnancy I had ongoing symptoms of Crohns, but definitely made worse by the pregnancy and stress of loss...I kind of feel like it just sped up the process. Im a little afraid to get pregnant again, but I also have decided to hold off on pregnancy for a few years.

Had a miscarriage, and four months later was diagnosed with crohns. The entire pregnancy (12 weeks) was hospitalized twice to dehydration from nausea and diarrhea, and was just told it was stress. After losing the baby, symptoms were definitely worse, and hospitalized numerous times, finally ending up with a crohns diagnosis. Before the pregnancy I had ongoing symptoms of Crohns, but definitely made worse by the pregnancy and stress of loss...I kind of feel like it just sped up the process. Im a little afraid to get pregnant again, but I also have decided to hold off on pregnancy for a few years.
i am sorry to heat that i am scared of loosing this baby i am 13 weeks but so far the baby is doin good

If you can keep your Crohn's under control then there is no reason why your baby shouldn't be healthy. You have an advantage over nikimazur in that you know you have Crohn's. At the time niki obviously didn't know, which is why she was dehydrated, hospitalised and presumably contributed to losing the baby.

If you do get any symptoms you need to get medical help straight away, so that a flare can be nipped in the bud and won't affect baby.

Niki- hopefully you will soon have your Crohn's under control and then you will be able to try again :)

Butterfly- have you had a scan yet? I had my first one at 12 weeks, my little sproglet was trampolining in there! There is a picture on the forum somewhere. It really brings it home that yes, there really is a baby in there!

I think the primary concern is just to make sure you stay adequately hydrated. Pregnant women are prone to dehydration as it is especially in these hot summer months approaching...add Crohns on top of that and you're at an increased risk for dehydration. Dehydration can cause contractions so just make sure you stay hydrated. If you find you arent peeing as often or your mouth is dry those are good signs to go into the nearest ER and get some fluids. I think everyone is usually pretty on edge in those first few weeks of pregnancy until you hit the 2nd trimester and the risk for miscarriage goes considerably down. Crohns alone doesn't increase your risk for problems with baby...as many have said it often gets better during pregnancy. I think you will find that baby is resilient and all the good nutrition will go to baby first. You just may not feel so great at times buy baby will be kicking away! That's the case with me :) I've had a pretty rough time this pregnancy with two hospital stays and 3 surgeries (just this pregnancy) for kidney stones and now I'm in a flare. But my little miracle is fine and kicks me constantly. I don't worry as much now that I can feel him :) I hope that'll be the case with you as well.

If you can keep your Crohn's under control then there is no reason why your baby shouldn't be healthy. You have an advantage over nikimazur in that you know you have Crohn's. At the time niki obviously didn't know, which is why she was dehydrated, hospitalised and presumably contributed to losing the baby.

If you do get any symptoms you need to get medical help straight away, so that a flare can be nipped in the bud and won't affect baby.

Niki- hopefully you will soon have your Crohn's under control and then you will be able to try again :)

Butterfly- have you had a scan yet? I had my first one at 12 weeks, my little sproglet was trampolining in there! There is a picture on the forum somewhere. It really brings it home that yes, there really is a baby in there!
what kind of scan

I think the primary concern is just to make sure you stay adequately hydrated. Pregnant women are prone to dehydration as it is especially in these hot summer months approaching...add Crohns on top of that and you're at an increased risk for dehydration. Dehydration can cause contractions so just make sure you stay hydrated. If you find you arent peeing as often or your mouth is dry those are good signs to go into the nearest ER and get some fluids. I think everyone is usually pretty on edge in those first few weeks of pregnancy until you hit the 2nd trimester and the risk for miscarriage goes considerably down. Crohns alone doesn't increase your risk for problems with baby...as many have said it often gets better during pregnancy. I think you will find that baby is resilient and all the good nutrition will go to baby first. You just may not feel so great at times buy baby will be kicking away! That's the case with me :) I've had a pretty rough time this pregnancy with two hospital stays and 3 surgeries (just this pregnancy) for kidney stones and now I'm in a flare. But my little miracle is fine and kicks me constantly. I don't worry as much now that I can feel him :) I hope that'll be the case with you as well.
well thank you i make sure i drink a lot of water i cant wait to feel mine kick

I mean an ultrasound to look at the baby. In the UK we have an ultrasound at 12 ish weeks to officially date the pregnancy (get your due date) and also screening for Down's syndrome if you want it. We also get a scan at 20 weeks to check that baby has developed properly. I am having an extra one at 28 weeks to check on baby's growth- as Crohn's has a risk of low birth weight.

I mean an ultrasound to look at the baby. In the UK we have an ultrasound at 12 ish weeks to officially date the pregnancy (get your due date) and also screening for Down's syndrome if you want it. We also get a scan at 20 weeks to check that baby has developed properly. I am having an extra one at 28 weeks to check on baby's growth- as Crohn's has a risk of low birth weight.
yea i had 1 at 8 weeks they want me to have 1 at 18 weeks to check on the baby yea i had all the blood test done to see if the baby has anything i will find out 2morrow how they came out

I bet you couldn't see much at 8 weeks, just a jelly baby! You'll be amazed at how baby has changed at your next scan- my 12 weeks one already looked like a miniature but perfectly formed baby.

I bet you couldn't see much at 8 weeks, just a jelly baby! You'll be amazed at how baby has changed at your next scan- my 12 weeks one already looked like a miniature but perfectly formed baby.
yea it was just a jelly bean i cant wait to see the next 1 and i get to find out the sex to