• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can Crohns effect the knuckles? (arthritis)

Hello!

Ive recently been having trouble with my left hand ring finger. The knuckle seems very sore and the last few days Ive noticed that some sort of nodual/lump is appearing??

My mum has arthritis and I explained what it is to her and she says it sounds like what she has on her knuckles.

Do you think this is arthritis? andor is this part of crohns?

I read somewhere that at some point this plague canactually hit the joints. So it's possible.

I'm sure somebody else here can confirm this.

Good luck to you.

My knuckles are bothering me as well. I don't know what it is but I have pain in my hands and wrists off and on. I don't know if it is just crohns causing inflammation in the joints or actual arthritis. It would be interesting to hear how to tell them apart.

I was given the choice of giving them to myself or coming in to the clinic. I go in once a month. Sometimes they hurt like a flu shot and sometime not much at all. I don't know if it is a difference in technique (depending on who gives the shot) or if it is about relaxing the arm. I get the shot at the top of the arm.

When I first started getting the shots they made a big difference, now that I am at a normal b12 level I can not tell so much.

When I get joint or muscle pain I take a magnesium and a potassium vitamin. It makes all the pain stop until I get low on them again.

I have pain in my knuckles and other joints too. I am on Remicade and my GI says it is supposed to help arthritis but I can't tell the difference.

Crohn's Disease its self can cause arthritis. The medications used to treat Crohn's can cause joint pains simmilar to arthritis. Just like some Biologics are used to treat Psoriasis, those same biologics can cause psoriasis in patients using that biologic for a different reason, like Crohn's.

I have Junior Rhuematoid Arthritis. Crohn's arthritis is different. From what my Rhuematologist said, the joint pain Crohn's patients feel in their joints is just from the inflammation in your blood circulating throughout your body & the inflammation in your blood, from your gut, just so happens to attack the joints also as a kind of 'backwash' inflammation. Which is why most people with Crohn's arthritis don't experiance actual reddening of the joints or damage to the joints like you would see with Rhuematoid arthritis. Hope this helps!

About 2 years before I was diagnosed with Crohn's, I started getting pains in my fingers and wrists and both my pinkie finger knuckles are swollen and twisted. The GP I saw said mild Osteoarthritis. Not sure if it's cause of the Crohns or just my age. Arthritis runs in my family big time.