• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with Crohn's but have doubts and need input.

Hi everyone,

I recently had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Crohn's, although the doc is still awaiting the results of the biopsies that were taking during the colonoscopy.

What has me confused is my symptoms seem nothing like Crohn's. About a a year ago I started having intense cramps that would go away when I pass gas. This started happening many times a day and the gas quite frankly became very foul smelling.

When I would go to the bathroom my stools were still formed but would sometimes be loose and were always now more "watery" feeling. I went to a different GI doc last June and he said I most likely had IBS and to come back if the symptoms persisted or if I saw blood.

Fast forward to his month. Most of my gas symptoms had disappeared but I was still having the same type of stool. Then all of the sudden I got very constipated and started noting semi-dark streaks of blood throughout my stools. The blood never turned the toilet water pink or anything. However through all of this I was still only going to the bathroom once every two to three days which was normal for me.

So I went to this new GI doc who recommended a colonoscopy and the rest is history.

My main issue is I never experienced any weight loss (actually have always had sort of a weight problem) and was never fatigued. Has anyone had these mild of symptoms and been diagnosed with Crohn's before? Would any of you recommend getting a second opinion? I don't want to doubt my doctor as he seems to know what he is doing and definitely has the credentials.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any feedback!

Jagsta said:
Hi everyone,

I recently had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Crohn's, although the doc is still awaiting the results of the biopsies that were taking during the colonoscopy.

What has me confused is my symptoms seem nothing like Crohn's. About a a year ago I started having intense cramps that would go away when I pass gas. This started happening many times a day and the gas quite frankly became very foul smelling.

When I would go to the bathroom my stools were still formed but would sometimes be loose and were always now more "watery" feeling. I went to a different GI doc last June and he said I most likely had IBS and to come back if the symptoms persisted or if I saw blood.

Fast forward to his month. Most of my gas symptoms had disappeared but I was still having the same type of stool. Then all of the sudden I got very constipated and started noting semi-dark streaks of blood throughout my stools. The blood never turned the toilet water pink or anything. However through all of this I was still only going to the bathroom once every two to three days which was normal for me.

So I went to this new GI doc who recommended a colonoscopy and the rest is history.

My main issue is I never experienced any weight loss (actually have always had sort of a weight problem) and was never fatigued. Has anyone had these mild of symptoms and been diagnosed with Crohn's before? Would any of you recommend getting a second opinion? I don't want to doubt my doctor as he seems to know what he is doing and definitely has the credentials.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any feedback!
One thing I've learned about Crohn's is the symptoms vary a LOT! There are people who don't even know they have it and find out by a routine colonoscopy and then you have those who can't use the bathroom w/out seeing blood. Personally, I haven't been diagnosed with IBD yet (my colonoscopy is scheduled), but I haven't experienced weight loss or fatigue either. In fact, my GI says I probably have "just IBS" because I've had no weight loss, which I know is an ignorant assumption on his behalf. *If* I am diagnosed with a form of IBD, my symptoms are on the mild side compared to a lot of people on this board. I don't think I'd waste my time on money on getting a second opinion if the only reason you're doubting you have it is lack of weight loss and fatigue because plenty of people on this board can reassure you that that's perfectly normal. :)

Hi Jagsta,

If you look around the forum, you will see that there are so many people here and everyone's case is so very different, from their symptoms to theie diagnosis to their treatments. I think that is one of the things that makes Crohn's so difficult to diagnose. Not everyone has had weight loss or fatigue, so yes, it is still possible that you have Crohn's.

As far as the colonoscopy, I think most people are more likely to get a false negative rather than a flase poistive, but that's just my opinion. I think your doctor did a smart thing by taking biopsies. If your Crohn's symptoms are mild, they will likely start with a mild treatment such as Asacol or Pantesa, which are very safe and have very little in the way of side effects.

If you think that you need a second opinion, then by all means, get one. But if your doctor is able to offer you a treatment that is easy and works, why rock the boat?

Good luck with whatever happens and keep us posted. Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum:)

Thanks for the warm welcomes and info! =)

I was mainly concerned because after reading it seemed like there are a lot of unknowns and the disease is hard to diagnose. Are the biopsies usually pretty accurate in diagnosing Crohns?

As for meds, the doctor has started me on 40 mg of Prednisone but that's all I know, not sure for how long. I have a follow up appointment this Friday to discuss everything. All I know so far is that after the colonscopy he mentioned I had pretty bad inflammation but my symptoms were very mild. I have a pictures of the colonscopy and it does look red and patchy (but smooth) but unfortunately I have no idea what a normal colonscopy looks like....

I'll keep everyone updated, Vanessa I hope you procedure goes well! Thanks again for the responses!

-Best,

Jagsta