• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Painless Crohn's Disease

Z

zalemale

Just a quick question. I'm still officially undiagnosed as having crohns (although it's looking similar), but I have very, very rarely experienced any type of pain as a symptom. I am hearing that abdominal (especially lower right sided) pain is one of the "classic" symptoms of this disease. My question is: are any of you diagnosed with crohns currently, without a history of experiencing any type of abdominal pain? Of course I suffer other symptoms like gas / bloating, slight blood in the stool, a slight increase in stool frequency, but pain has rarely (if ever) been an issue. I guess if I do have crohns, I'm lucky in this respect. Just curious...

Many people with Crohn's have symptoms similar to yours. Although you do not have pain you could still have inflammation which would indicate Crohn's. I hope you do not have Crohn's but if you do then welcome. By your symptoms I would probably think you have Crohn's but I am no doctor. For me I was similar to you except instead of blood I had mucus. I had that for about a year with bloating and an increase of stoof frequency. But one day I just started having pain and now I have pain.

Good luck

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

Hi
i never knew i had crohns untill i was rushed in for appendix and came out with only a foot of bowel left, i had had no previous pains or problems just 4 weeks of major D, i was shocked so it can be pain free im proof, scary though because i nearly died
((((((((((hugs))))))))))

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
For quite a while I had next to no symptoms. Even as symptoms started showing up more, it was usually only when eating something bad for me like nuts. The best thing you can do is to get a proper diagnosis though, as if you can receive treatment for a mild case of CD than you can likely keep it controlled much easier and for a much greater amount of time.

V

Valentina

same as Mike for me, the only time I ever had pain was when I ate something like peanuts, milk or grapes... that was for about 10 years, then the pains started no matter what I ate. Im in remission (somewhat) now, and I still get pains from eating :) oh happy crohns. I think this disease is so different for everyone, and even changes so often for each of us.. maybe thats one of the reasons its so hard to diagnose, there is no textbook answer on how any of us will/should feel at any given time, or how the drugs will work if at all.. its all so individual.
were like a bunch of freekin snowflakes! lol
hope you keep pain free with yours! and good luck with the diagnosis.

Z

zalemale

Interesting...thanks for the replies guys.

I should note that this is my third year with IBD symptoms (without pain though). Talking with my doctor during an appointment sometime earlier, I asked him about the progression of Crohn's disease. He responded by saying that my case has been generally mild (whether it was UC or CD). Afterall, I've never been hospitalized, never had severe pain...just bloating, gas, slight blood, occasional loose stools with just a slight increase in frequency. From his experience, he noted, patients with generally mild cases tend not to get worse. He was pretty clear in thinking that I would'nt get considerably worse in the future as well. He went on to say that a lot of people with mild CD or UC don't even know they have it, and figure they have something along the lines of indigestion.

In any case, I hope to get a clearer picture after tomorrow, when I have my second colonscopy...fun times.

I have found though like Valentina said that symptoms change easily and through experience I have found that certain areas of my digestive system are worse then others. It could depend on where you get the Crohn's but it can always change. One day I was fine the next I was on brutal pain went to the doctor and a week later I was fine. This went on for a while with differing symptoms. I was diagnosed with a mild case of Crohn's but with time after my hospital stay I got worse and worse.

Good luck