• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Digestive system transplant

nogutsnoglory

digestive system transplant

heres a fun thought, maybe in the future crohn's can be cured if they give us a digestive system transplant from someone else who has passed, or a digestive system robot of sorts that does all the functions.

wooh i could eat popcorn, nuts and tons of salad and my body would be just fine, except for the occasional technical glitch lol.

Pretty sure that the initial transplants have been done using pig intestines an results are good, but yeah big risk of the body rejecting it.

Interesting, I had never thought about this until someone on talkback radio last night was saying she has a daughter in Austria who has really bad Crohns and has recently had bits of her colon replaced by pig parts and is doing better than she has for years and years!

hah this is funny i was gonna ASK you guys if youve ever heard of this, they talk about bowel transplants on Grey's!!
i was like what?!? where!?

only the small bowel though? boogers.
i wonder why.....

yes, you have to take drugs for the rest of your life after an organ transplant. the immunosuppresant im on now is actually the drug of choice for organ receipients!
LOL about a week after i picked it up the pharmacy sent me an envelope and i was like "what the hell?" cause ive NEVER gotten mail from them. they had sent me a pamphlet to school me on "Cholesterol and My New Organ".

it is called prograf, and is the sister drug to cyclosporine, for any curious minds :)