• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Results from food intol test!!

Hey there, I am only newly diagnosed with CD, prior to this I did a food intol test (york test) and the results are in. Basically v high with cows milk products and also, corn, barley, wheat and yeast. The nutrionist ph me yesterday - my god I am v limited if I am to follow this diet. When diagnosed I asked gastro if diet was importants and she said that there is no specific diet. The reason I got the food intol test was I was told for 4 years that its IBS so when I had the test paid and sent off then I was diagnosed with CD, thankis for reading.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
All those things do create havoc whether you have Crohns, UC, or IBS. Most Crohnies stay away from all of those, if they are trying to avoid a flare.

Hi minky

What exactly is this test? is it a blood test?

As for cows milk, are you allowed to eat goat milk products? then you can at least get some calcium and dairy in your diet like goat milk yoghurt etc.....

If your gastro doc didn't seem to think that diet was important then I'd suggest getting a new doc. Diet is important and you just have to find what works best for you. There are lots of different diets you can try. I suggest interviewing several docs until you find one that makes you feel like they know what they're talking about. Not all GI docs are created equally. I wish you the best of luck and let us know what ends up working for you.

My Gastro is not big on diet either. He is also voted on of the best Gastros in San Diego every year. Just not big on treating with a specific diet.

Hi Minky, sorry to hear that you are intolerance to these things I to had the tolerance test yesterday and have been told I am intolerant to Dairy, wheat and a long list of other things. I would be very interested to hear how they diagnosed you from these as I am currently waiting on a firm diagnosis. I have had a scope with inflamation found and am now waiting to see a consultant at St. Thomas's in London. How are you coping on this diet now? I am totally at a loss to know where to start. Would be great to hear from you.

Hi there, thanks for all the replies. The york test is a test where you do a skin prick on your finger and soak the blood in a kind of wand thing and send off then for analysis. About the milk, the only milk that I can have is rice milk aparantly. I havent started teh diet yet as I need to go shopping and just havent got the energy to go and do is as was sick the past few days. Theresa, I havent started it at all yet but I will try anything to help me feel better - honestly I dont know where to start on it!!

C

crazycanuck

Hey minky I wish you a lot of luck with that. Now I will tell you that a dietician could be extremely beneficial here. I also believe there may be a computer program out there somewhere for helping creating diets? But if you give them what your limited to they may be able to help with a lot of meal ideas and food ideas to help you get everything you'll need. Also it is thought that as a result of Crohn's I too am somewhat lactose intolerant. But I find that if I drink milk or have a bowl of ice cream immediately following a big healthy meal of say something like pasta that doesn't effect me I usually do not see any effects of that. Best of luck with this.

p.s. I have moved doctors because I had 0 confidence in the first one but neither are really willing to accept the fact that what I eat influences how I feel? How could this be? To say diet has no effect is rediculous because I know if I marched down and had a BigMac from Mcdonalds I wouldn't be moving off my toliet for hours and hours from now. Sure diet probably didnt cause my disease or make it any worse but I do know it has to affect how I feel.