• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just found out

L

luvsymm

just found out

hiya im new and my name is Chrissy, i just found out yesterday that i have Crohn's Disease after sooooooo many months of stomach cramps and test etc and i was prescribed Prednisone 40mg for 8 weeks and have to go back to the doctor in 2-3 weeks for the biospy test results. And i have been doin a lot of research on Crohns and also Prednisone and what i have read im now terrified to take this med =( i have been crying ever since i found out and cant seem to stop :( .....is the side effects of this drug that serious?? and should i be taking vitamins while on this drug?? any tips would really help at this point :(

Side effects do suck, but I wouldn't stress about it.

I just started up again on 40mg a day on Monday. Today my hips and joints are killing me, but it is worth it to have my first solid bowel movement in nearly a year this morning.

They will eventually taper you off of it and onto something else. Get used to crazy side effect warnings. Goes with the Crohn's territory.

I would take at least some Calcium+D. But due to malabsorption I would take a whole host of vitamins. In addition to Calcium+D I take a multi, vitamin B12, B Complex, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, and a Probiotic.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi luvsymm, welcome to the forum!
It's natural to be scared of course, with a new diagnosis. Try not to be, we're all here to support you adn you can learn a great deal from this forum.
As for side effects, these are things that may or MAY NOT happen. I personally LOVE how I feel on prednisone, and only get a few of the side effects. It has helped me come out of a flare every time I have been on it. The most important thing is to taper down when you are coming off of it.
Everyone reacts differently to different meds. Pred might treat you just fine.
I would think that you should be taking a multivitamin, and maybe even some extra calcium while on prednisone, but please ask your doctor to be sure.
What are your other symptoms? Do you have any other questions? Read around on here and make yourself at home - you'll be here a while, lol.
MBH

Hi Welcome :)

Don't worry to much about the side effects. They do affect you temporarily but when you start to taper off the pred your side effect symptoms will most of the time start tapering off also. The only time to be really worried with Prednisone is taking it long term because that may cause long term problems. But GI docs know not to keep you on long term just to start you tapering off each week from what you started at usually by 5 or 10 mg. I would try to take vitamin supplements in the mean time. It can only help :) I hope you feel well

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Hey Chrissy,

I'm on Pred too. The side effects really do suck, but the effects of the drug itself is great. It'll get you out of a flare. Plus you'll get crazy energy for a while. My side effects are I gained back a little weight, lots of energy/ insomnia (I had so much energy I couldn't fall asleep for a while). So far its the only thing I have found that is a great "rescue" drug. Unfortunately, its the only one out there that works like it. It'll be ok. Use this forum to vent, ask questions, or whatever you need to feel better. Trust me, this forum will help you. Its done so much for me already.

S

Slandur

I would only worry about prednisone after being on it for longer than a year. From what I have heard, most of the bad stuff happens long term, not short term.

You should definitely start paying attention to what you eat. If you eat potatoe chips, and an hour later you find you have pain and cramps, you should probably avoid them. It's all about feeling it out. Your food allergies are specific to you... some of us can handle alcohol, and some of us can't even handle an apple.

Good luck to you. It may be a bumpy ride but with perseverance and positivity I think you'll be just fine.

U

uab grad student

Hi Chrissy,

I am new here too! I had symptoms for 6 yrs and was told I had IBS... finally found a great doctor and they diagnosed me with Crohn's this week. I actually felt relieved to be told what was wrong with me. Try to think positively... I know it isn't easy. I look at it this way, though--you have been suffering without being able to put a name to it, without the reassurance that there are others like you out there, and without being given any treatment. Things will get better! Like all things in life, there will be good days and there will be bad days. Finally, I am starting to appreciate the good days and just think of the bad days as a temporary situation.

If this medicine works for you, give it a chance. The side effects don't happen for everyone, and relief from the daily Crohn's symptoms is worth a lot.

I wish you the best and Happy Holidays!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crohn's just diagnosed December 2009
Now on entocort, 9 mg/day
have had anal fistula removed in past
small intestine and small portion of large intestine involved

Hi Chrissy. Welcome to the Crohnies Club. I am sorry to hear that you have CD because I have lived with it for 23 yrs since being diagnosed and went about 6 yrs before that being told I had a "nervous stomach".
When I was DX in 1986 my GI put me on Pred right away and it does work great for the short term. Back than there wasn't much in the way of treatments so Pred was the standard pretty much. I am one of the few that have been on it long term (many times for the first 5 yrs or so). Yes there can be serious side effects if your on it that long. It will break down you calcium in your body. I had to have all my teeth pulled because I didn't realize that it did, so yes, take as much calcium as you can. If you can handle milk drink plenty of it. If not take calcium pills every day. Take as much as recommended. Multi vitamins are a must and probiotics will help your system absorb nutrients.
I also suffer from stiffness in the joints (can remember how to spell that art.... word) but not so basd that I can function normally. Other than that I wouldn't worry about the major side effects, just remember to taper of the pred and only use it when a bad flare comes up. What happen to me isn't the norm any more because the doctors don't let you stay on as long as back than and they only use it as a quick fix to get you under control before starting you on a maintence treatment.

Good luck and I hope it gets you back to remission soon.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Chrissy you have had a wealth of information from the others. Before I got on Prednisone I got a baseline bone density. May be a good idea to have one, in cause you are on long term or more often or down the road. Calcium is crucial. Welcome to the forum!

L

luvsymm

thank you all sooooooooooo much for all this info =) i picked up some Vitamin C+D and been takin that since yesterday with the Pred meds, yesterday i was in pain but still tryin to get used to findin out what i can and can not eat. I am glad that they actually FINALLY found a diagnose for all my stomach problems it got to the point after so many test being done that they were just thinkin it was all in my head so glad i found a great doctor to diagnose me so now just have to find a way to deal with it =)

Happy Holidays to everyone and also a Happy New Years =)

Hi and belated welcome! You've come to a great place! Glad you have the Calcium and vit D, they are really important with Pred :)

:welcome: Chrissy! On top of what others have added - getting some weight bearing exercise while on pred will only help your bones - just get out and walk! And the side effects can be annoying. I was at the grocery yesterday and was trying to find kidney beans and started tearing up for NO reason! I felt like an idiot - but my husband and I laugh at it. It has only happened this round of pred for some reason - I'll just start crying for no reason. Oh joy! Hope you feel better quick.

Hi Chrissy. :) I don't really have much advice to offer you, because i myself haven't been diagnosed yet, but i wanted to say welcome, and best of luck to you in your journey!

Hi Chrissy and welcome to the forum... Like most others have said Pred was a magical drug for me, within days of being on it I had improved heaps. I was only on Pred for 10 weeks and the last 3 weeks of that was put on a maintance drug which so far is doing its job. Side effects aren't all bad I think the sleeping issues were probably the worse for me, otherwise I just had bloating and moonface.. so with the last two everyone kept asking how far along I was in my pregnancy!!
I think alot of us can relate to doctors making you feel like its all in your head, Im glad you have finally been diagnosed as you can now move forward and gain control of your life again. Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Chrissy,
I took pred for about 10 weeks a couple of months ago. i didnt have side effects that i was aware of then again, i felt like such crap when i was dx'ed and started taking it, i wouldnt have been able to recognise any of then anyways. but i must tell you, it was great once it started working.
I found the biggest side effects were when i stopped taking it - it was so much harder for me to get out of bed in the morning. The artifical boost cased by the pred wasnt there anymore.
Dont worry about the pred. just take it and enjoy (for now) - feel good.

Some things you can do while on Prednisone are:

- Eat a high protein, low salt, low sugar/refined carbs diet
- Take a multivitamin
- Take Calcium/Vit D
- Try to walk or do some kind of excercise so not to lose muscle mass

Hope this helps...