• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another Forum Newbie!

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Hello!

My name is Tami, and I'm new to this forum. It seems like a wonderful place to share, and it's always good to see a friendly place where people can come read and share with others.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 22 years ago. Where do I begin?!?

My Story is very LOOOONG (too long to try to post here), but if anyone would be interested in reading it, I have it posted on my personal web pages About Crohns, Colitis, and IBD.

It's funny--some say Crohn's is hereditary, but I am the first (to my knowledge) to be afflicted with it in my family. However, my 16-year-old daughter, Alyssa (who some say I've cloned) was also diagnosed with Crohns this past summer (2005) :( -MAJOR BUMMER!- :(

I am also interested in posting the stories of others with Crohns, Colitis, IBD or Chronic Illness on my support pages. So anyone who isn't opposed to sharing their experiences in more than one place on the Internet is more than welcome to submit theirs on my pages as well--I'd love to add your story!

It's good to share our experiences and help each other out. You never can tell who might be able to relate to your experiences, and it lets people know that they aren't suffering alone with nobody who understands.

I'm sure I will be posting/replying to various threads here.

I look forward to meeting new people, reading posts, learning, and sharing my own experiences with others in the future!

Best Health Wishes to All!

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
;) WELCOME ABOARD ... TAMI ;)

I am the wife of a CROHN'S PATIENT !! My husband found out just a week before CHRISTMAS 2005 that he has Crohn's & it was a BIG BLOW to all of us and so I found lots of support from many new friends that I have made and so I do hope that you will have a wonderful time here and that you too will make a lot of new friends { counting me } !! :)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Tami.

It is great that you are also documenting others experiences. Part of the reason I started the forum is so that others can see what other people have been through. All forms of IBD can act differently for all of us, so I thought it would be good to see how everyone deals with their own personal issues.

J

jyarmo

Hi Tami! Welcome aboard :)

While it is always sad to hear of a family member getting diagnosed (especially when it's your daughter!) atleast she has a mom who will be able to provide some moral support!

Thanks for sharing!

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi Tami, very nice to meet you. I really enjoyed your site. It amazes me to read of your strength. Your site is done beautifully, obviously well planned out to tell your story. I tried to sign your guestbook, but I was having problems on my end. I will return to do so. Keep up with your great attitude, and Thank you so much for sharing your site with us all. Stay well and safe.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Tammy I tried again to sign your guestbook, and it says that the account has been deleted. I was able to read your other comments. Please know I enjoyed your site very much, and never give up on Hope. Oh!! and by the way, I love your cursor...lol, too cute.

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Thanks!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

This is a great forum, and I've enjoyed all of the stories I've read so far. Nice job Mikey! Keep up the good work. :)

There's always someone worse off than we are, and I know that reading other people's stories sure helps me to keep things in perspective and count my blessings.

Cookie, I'm glad you had the chance to check out my pages and read my story. I should try to come up with a "condensed version" for when I post on other sites (like this one), huh? :D

It's interesting to see how unique and yet different each of our experiences are, as well as how much we have in common.

I look forward to getting to know you all better!

R

ReeRee

Hi Tami!

I'm Ree, or Robbie if you like. I'll be checking out your website very soon! Can't wait to get to know you better.

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Hi Ree!

I've enjoyed reading your posts - you funny lady! Thank God for a sense of humor! :)

I look forward to getting to know you better too!

K

Kate

Hi Tami

Your not the only "freak" lol to be the first in the family with crohns i am to. Although in my family bowel cancer is pretty high to i spose we have a weakness in the bowel area but mines in the small while theirs are in the large.

All the best hun for you and your daughter
Kate

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Update

Soo...I guess it's been a couple years since I've been an active poster on this board. I need to start visting back more often.

Thought I'd give a lil' "update" on my health. There isn't a whole lot to report, but "no news is good news" at least in my case (generally speaking). My daughter Ayssa who was diagnosed with CD a few years back joined this forum so that's a good thing. She also recently moved out on her own (well with a roomate) and is managing to work a full-time job at an attourney's office (as a recptionist/gopher/jill of all trades) and is in a relationship with a great guy!

I still struggle with some strange digestive/bowel disturbances from time to time: sometimes more and other times less. Mostly I'll get a partial bowel obstruction with all of its wonderful symptoms, which I can only explain as being from strictures that are present and/or post-surgical adhesions (intestinal scarring). Otherwise, I'm doing GREAT! I'm still in what the doctors would call "remission". It's been 7 years now (and that was after 18 almost solid years of constant flare ups, problems and pain from CD). That should give hope to those of you who wonder if you'll ever get any relief. It CAN happen...although I can't explain why it doesn't all the time.

I now have problems with very pale stools and pain under my ribs from time to time. This doesn't seem to be CD related, but it's obviously (IMO) not "normal". I've asked my doctor about it several times. I've had elevated bilirubin tests on numerous occasions as well, but all of my other liver function tests have come back as "normal" so's he's just passed it off as being "Gilbert syndrome" (ie: anything they can't explain that causes an elevation in bilirubin). I however disagree. I've never heard of people with Gilbert's having white (or nearly white) poop or the odd pains I get under my ribs that shoot up through my neck/shoulders from time to time: quite uncomfortable.

Sooo...it's been about 4 years since I've actually been to my GI doctor at all :eek: I still take probiotics, digestive enzymes, acai juice and most recently added resveratrol (but that last one is mostly for it's anti-aging and weight loss properties) :ylol2: I also continue to watch my diet...don't eat too much fiber or too big of a meal at one time, drink lots of water, etc. I need to exercise MORE though! :lol:

One BAD thing about going into remission and that is that you eat more b/c you can....and you DO gain weight! :tongue:

Sooo...I'll probably be visiting this forum on and off for the next several days to try to get "caught up" (if that's even possible). Hello to those of you who were here from before and welcome to all of you who joined since I last showed up!:welcome:

Ok, so I guess I just wanted to post again. Thanks for reading my ramblings (if you made it this far)

I look forward to meeting you all who are new and catching up here with everyone else whenever I can!

:)