• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How one man copes

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Good article (and up to date!)

I think somethings that were immportant to take out of it were:

Even when he was not feeling the best, he put in a short day at work. This shows he is still trying his best and I am sure his company appreciates that, and is also easier on him when he misses work or has to go to the hospital or for an appointment.

Also a positive attitude throughout, while keeping a sense of humour. This is something we often refer to, and it is good to see it said again.

Work-Life balance. To decrease stress, keep healthy and enjoy the good times, we should all strive to find this balance.

S

Skinsfan1229

I agree with everything you have said Mikey.

Sense of humour is essential in staying healthy and recovering I think, its easier for me to keep a good outlook when re-covering, but more difficult when trying to have a positive outlook while trying to stay healthy. To me it seems inevitable that I'm going to get sick again, its just...when? I know it wont be for more then a few months...I've never really had "remission" or felt half decent but for 8 months or so...and I had surgery in may, and havent felt that well since really but its been 5 months, so I feel that before atleast valentines day I'll flare again. I actually go to the ER a few times since surgery, already which doesnt make me feel good.

But you gotta get the laughs in. Me and my friends joke about Crohns all the time. Sometimes, it might be mean sounding but we even joke about my ostomy...like I'll say I have to go to the bathroom and one of my friends will say "what to empty your bag?" and we all laugh, but they really care. Or if it stinks from a vehicle's exhaust in front of us, they'll go "did you fart?" which is always funny.

Hope others liked the article.