• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stubborn trouble--help!

S

srmb

Diagnosed since 2001 with Crohn's--though I had it for many years before that--and now 44, I've been quite lucky to have only mild to moderate disease after the initial crisis. I have a terminal ileum stricture which means partial obstructions are quite hard to avoid. But I haven't had surgery yet, and hope to stave that step off for a while longer. Pentasa seems to have more or less managed to control the progression. (I also have Primary Scelerosing Cholangitis, that serious liver complication of IBD, but so far it's given me little trouble and appears to be progressing slowly.)

I'm writing for the first time because I have anal fissures (Oh joy!) that won't go away. An MRI confirmed that they weren't fistulas as we had feared. I've tried Proctosedyl (antibiotic/cortisone cream) and the nitro-glycerine ointment, and there's been no improvement now for 5, yes, 5 months.

My question: Has anyone had success with something else for anal fissures?

The obvious thing will be to go on another drug, I suppose. But Remicade is too expensive, I definitely don't want Imuran (can't drink my beloved wine--only in moderation, of course), and then what's left, Metho-trexate?

Any advice anyone?

R

ruthymg

Hi and welcome to the forum. I had anal fistulas and 1 anal fissure. My fistulae were bad so I had surgery but the fissure was only small so it was left to heal on its own. I am already on Imuran and have been on and off for several years, I too don't like the drug, but I would prefer it to Methotrexate and Remicade. There is of course Humira, if you wanted to try that. Could you not have them operated on? With regards to the wine thing. . . . .as I say, I'm on Imuran and that doesn't stop me having a blow out, so to speak every so often. I too love wine, and I know I will suffer the following day but its so worth it. I haven't had any bad reactions either, touch wood lol

Ruth

S

srmb

Thank you, Ruth. I will find out more about Humira. I had trouble letting wine even pass my lips when I was on Imuran for a couple of months and I gather that is a problem with it; you're lucky it's only the next day that you suffer because with me it was virtually instantaneous and anyway I didn't want to drink it gave me such a headache. I write on wine, so you see my problem.

Best to you,
Stephane

IHi and welcome to the forum.
Ruth knows best on the fistulas.
I have 3 right now.
Two on the right bottom of my cheek and the other one well just leave it at that.
I take Remicade and cipro.Slows the drainage down for the first 4 wks
then I just wait out the last 4 wks. untill Remicade time.
Some people take cipro and flagle but my system can't handle flagle
and you cant drink or go in the sun while on flagle. BOOHOO.
I have been dealing with these darn fistulas for about 5-6 months now.
Finally I see the surgeon on the 27th and hopefully will put some
setons in because I really don't want to go the other way. SURGERY.
The stoma thing kinda scares me. Have to wait and see.
I'm also taking 8 tabs of pentasa.and pain killers when needed.
Goodluck
Mine seem to get bigger and pussier the more I poop and hurts more.

Welcome

Hello and welcome to the Forum!
I don't have answers for your questions..
but I'm sure someone here will be of help.

Please feel free to browse the forums and give your input.
Any questions....just ask away.

Again, welcome! :)
Nancy

H

Heathcroft

Hi srmb- My sympathies with your fissures. You won't want to hear this but I've had them on and off (more on than off for 15 years!)

I too have terminal ileum structures and 2 before that as well so get partial obstructions at times. But I have several small lateral fissure which to me are the worst thing.

I was on proctosedyl for years before being diagnosed with Crohn's (the meds dont help with the fissures) but can only now use it for a short time, as I've become senitised to the anaesthetic in it I think.

So what I do is after each BM have a warm bath with epson salts in it, dry with a hair dryer on cool and whack on zinc oxide (sudocreme or zinc and castor oil).
And believe me I've tried everything thats going and more!

Without that albeit temporary relief, the misery is acute.

Hope that helps relieve the symptoms for you.

Suppositories, Lytocain, Hemorrhoidal cream, and any other hydrocortisone creams I could get my hands on didn't even put a dent on my many fissures. Anyone have any new treatments that I can try?????

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Fissures, Nifedipine

I've herad that Nifedipine ointment helps. Nifedipine(AKA:procardia) is an older bloodpressue/cardiac drug. A friend of mine who has UC was prescribed it recently.

Everyone on this forum also loves Calmoseptine cream. It is OTC. You can search the Threads to find more info. Its more for pain relief and skin protection.

Thank You imisspopcorn. I actually saved that Calmoseptine Cream to see if I can find it anywhere near me. I saw it on sooooo many Threads. I'll see when I finally fall asleep and wake up in the middle of the day. lol