• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello...introduction

Hello all,

Like a lot of people, I have been lurking on the boards for a while. I decided I should stop lurking and hop into the water, so here I am.

I am a 36 year old male from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1993. Up until that point, I had been steadily losing energy. Of course, I had been losing massive amounts of blood. I didn't want to tell anyone because well, it is pretty embarrassing for a guy (or anyone) to be pissing blood from his ass. I was 19. Yeah, it was rough. Finally, my mother(thanks mom) scooped me up and took me to the hospital. That was the first of many 3 nighters at the hospital. I couldn't walk so the staff wheeled me into the hospital. I had my first blood transfusion then, and have had many since. I am 6'1" and weighed 160 pounds. I was stick thin and everybody thought I was doing major drugs, lol! Finally, in Feb 2007, I had a resection. 8 damaged inches of intestine was removed. By Sept, I was back in the hospital for another 3 nighter and more blood transfusions. I started IV iron infusions last July. I started out with Venofer but had bad leg and body cramps. We tried the dexferrum but I had an anaphylactic issue and went back to the Venofer. So I get IV iron once a month now.

It seems like I have always had symptoms. Yes, there have been stretches of 2-3 months without any major issues, but I always seem to drop back into the Crohn Zone pretty quickly. My current flare started last October with bloody diarrhea and gurgling belly noises. Then came the pain. I thought it was Crohn's related. My Gastro ran most of the tests (C-scope, Barrium, CT, bloodwork,...) but couldn't find any issues. I still had major pain. My Gastro told me that he couldn't treat pain if he couldn't find a cause. After two years of his crap, I fired him and got a new Gastro. Active disease was confirmed with a pill cam, and I have been on 2 Humira pens a week( have been taking Humira for almost two years). It is obvious that the Hurmira is not working anymore, so it is on to the next drug. I have taken a good bit of the Crohn's drugs available. I have an appt on Thursday for new meds and a new game plan.

As other posters stated, I could write so much more, but even this seems too long. Even this little bit seems to long for a forum. Anyway, good morning (depending on where you live:)!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there! Welcome... you have been through a rough ride, and I can't imagine your pains and losing blood. I too have had DX with Crohns since '93 and 2 resections but I dont bleed, and I am grateful that I dont. I also was on Humira for a weekly shot, but wasnt working for me and Remicade I was allergic, and then the Cimzia was a first sought out (wasnt in Canada yet) but my doc thinks it wouldnt be any better. So I am on antibiotics for control of my symptoms and VSL#3, 450 probiotics, yes it is expensive but it works for me. Just have to watch the no no's of eating. Hope you keep us updated on your Crohns.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Nytefyre...Wow, you have been through a lot, but your post still sounds optimistic. That is a good thing! I find I can suffer through most things as long as I still have hope. I'm glad you decided to join us. This is a great place for laughs and information.

Welcome Nytefyre! I've seen you around - glad you posted your story :O)! Let us know what drug they are going to put you on next - I really hope it will do the trick for you buddy!!

Hi Nytefyre, welcome to the Crohnie Club where everybody talks sh!t to each other.lol I also have had a lot of blood infusions along with Iron infusions. I use to bleed like crazy. That is a wierd feeling when you get weak from loss of blood. Not fun when you hit the floor.
Hope what ever new treatment you go on works and you can enjoy a really long remission.

Welcome aboard Nytefyre and thanks for sharing your story - it is not too long at all! Always interesting to read of others experiences and I expect you will have a lot to bring to the forum :)