• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cough up Blood? Anyone?

Ok.. This morning I woke up and my throat felt like there was something in it. Went to the sink and coughed up a cluster of blood, bright red. I'm thinking.. what the heck??!? :confused:Well after more came out bright red, sort of all over the sink, a few times. :pale:Hasn't happened anymore..

But, last night I pigged out. :duh:Ate a bunch of fast food, relaxed on the couch. Got miserably uncomfortable, and my stomach swole so much I thought it would pop. :shifty-t:Went to bed, slept for 10hours. This morning the tumm was not quite as swollen.:yfrown: But still somewhat swollen.. (no surprise there though.. seems to stay that way these days)

I have an apt to see a GI (my 1st) on the 5th. Hopefully he will look in there. But wasn't sure if what i'm dealing with right now is very serious or not.

Have another apt on the 8th for a Head & Neck Dr to look at my thyroid.

Dont see my colorectal surgeon again for @ 1mo.

My Primary Care Phys just had me do some labs(bloodwork) this past Thurs. Seen her the Weds before (9-29) & she gave me a b12 shot. Then Thurs just back for bloodwork, then left to see my Surgeon for a followup. He said the incision looked to be healing good. Said i could quit taking sulfasalazine (my hair was reaping the hell of the sulfa), and started taking the Apriso.

I still have a lot of burping, etc.. dont know whats up. Sometimes have the acid come up.. (grose, i know. sorry)..

Please help, anyone! I dont know what's going on, and do not want to have to go to the ER again. Cant afford it anyways. Any suggestions? Or, has anyone had something similar?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
So the blood being coughed up was just the one episode?....and can you tell if it was coing from your lungs (coughing) vs. your stomach (vomiting).....

I had an episode this past spring when I had my 1st bout of step etc...had a coughing fit and started coughing up blood....although, I couldn't tell if it was being coughed up or was from a bloody nose way in the back....didn't go on for very long, and didn't reoccur so I didn't see a doc (I was also @4 hours from my drs)....

If this continues to bother you, or if you see tarry stools, definitely be seen - otherwise I would be inclined to at least give a phone call to the Drs' office and see what they have to say.....

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you!!

It was just this morning, and only this morning. It wasn't coming from my lungs. My throat was a bit sore. and it was kinda like when you breath deep and try to clear your throat.. that's when it came out. I dont think it was a nose bleed either. I blew my nose a few times, and there was only a small trace of blood, and that was after i had already spit out a whole bunch of blood in the sink.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Well, I'm sure you will anyway, but make sure you mention it to your GI on the 5th!! Do you keep a journal M?? Dusty made a great outline in the Wiki for keeping up with symptoms etc. It would be helpful for your GI appt!!

Aesome M! I will check it out.
I do somewhat keep one. I have a diary (work) which is a nig ledger one for the year. I've strarted noting things in it. And I've been typing out sheets with info and questions for my docs now. Seems like they pay more attention when u take the extra time to do that.

Thank you for letting me know about the one Ej has!

And thank you for responding! I was really nervous about it yesterday! :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Girlygirl,, that had to be pretty scary, coughing up blood can mean a few different things. I would say an Endoscopy would be your best bet because I am not sure it is a Crohns thing, could be thyroid? Sorry you had that happen. Let us know what the doc says. Eat smaller meals more through the day,it helps..oh and drink water too. :hang:

Thank u Pen! It was quite scary! Especially since its never happened before. I see a GI on Tues, so hopefully he will be able to tell if its gastro related. I'm just happy it hasn't done it again! (Oh let me not speak so soon). Weird how our bodies work..

Oh I think the only major diff from the day before was swithching from sulfasalazine to Apriso - which only targets your colon. I'm scared they'll put me back on it. But it was making my hair break and fall out.

Hoping it was nothing. But will make it a first priority this week.
Thanks again Pen! U rock

GirlyGirl update

Okey Dokey,
Here's an update. Today's an odd day, started good, still confused, but hopeful. Was quite focused @ work this morn, yay! And managed to get a @ 16 page report together for my GI. Rounded up all labs, even gave it a cover sheet w index, and scanned copies of dl, ins card, etc, PCP card, CRSurgeon card, followed w sheet of my recent notes, then current meds, dates, prev, the hx sheet of past year to current, and all labs, and even put in a before n after pic of my swllen tumm from the other night.

I'm going to get results!! Darn it!! :D . Anywho, met the GI today- he put me back on xifaxin, and said to keep taking the omeprazole. Sent me for more blood, yay - another 3 vials today. And have an apt next Tues for an EGD. Thank goodness!

Next is the apt on Fri w the head & neck Dr to ultrascan my thyroid (I think). So another new doc.

My right side of my neck is sore today and I'm tempted to not start the antibiotics again until I see another doc. I know somethings not right in there.

Anyways the GI said that he will let my CRSurgeon do the colonoscopy the way he has planned since he's already been dealing w that area. And said that my cxhest pain is not related to my colon (lower area) problem (duh) but more to the upper area. I'm praying he sees something when they do the EGD! I've had pain for a while but never had one of those done before.

I started googling and reading about my off levels which come back on my labs. Finding it easier to understand more of what's going on, or if it would benefit to ask specific questions.

I've noticed my RF is high, no surprise, and other things low here and there. Maybe the bloodwork from today will show more.

I'm hopeful! And wanted to say thank u to all my friends here again! I haven't been on here much the past few days, but I'm going from one dr to the next, then to work, or get a rx, etc,, its exhausting. But the b12 shot has seemed to have made a great improvement! Yay!

Dexky

Wow M, I hope it all comes together soon and you can treat all these symptoms together! What a lot to be dealing with! Good luck!

Thanks M! :) I sure hope it all comes together soon too! Get to have a thyroid scan tomorrow. I'm just leaving the office for the day, helped a friend move a little yesterday, tired today, and had some wine last night which I shouldn't have. But I'm losing my voice now.. Not sure if its fatigue or something else. But yay for finally getting more tests done! :D

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Girly, you have a doctor that is agressive with test! That is great! I see you are on some stuff that maybe you should be on high calcium to replace it in your system. Thyroid problems in itself causes major fatigue, and if the b12 shots help you then that is great. Our tests here are very slowly done. Just so many people ill these days. Make sure you keep us updated ok! You are an amazing person so good things will come to you soon!xx

Thanks Pen! I'm looking forward to seeing the new Head & Neck Dr tomorrow. I hope they find something out! Not sure how long it will take to get my colorectal surgeon to get a colonoscopy done but I sure want to get that over with soon! My glucose levels came out normal on the labs from last Tues. But they never tell me when I'm going to get blood taken.. And I've been on a huge ice cream binge. I keep craving cherry chocolate chunk ice cream. was earing like 2 pints a day. I'm sure this is y my lab didn't show hypoglecemia this time. And I have a small rash in my face. I don't get acne.. So I'm not sure what I'm allergic to.

Feels like I'm living a dream somedays..((Hugs)) to u Pen! I hope you've been feeling better too!

Girly Girl Update

10-11-2010 - Assistant from My Primary Care Physicians office called & said labs mostly all normal from the labs they took.
(I'm seeing a few diff Dr's these days)

That the copy of the labs (w/the 13 boxes) - were initial readings & further evaluations r done after that, & are ok. So, even tho some levels r high, & some levels r low, they're still ok.(weird??) Except for the ANA
The copy I have of the labs sent to my GI (showed: NA = low, RF = high, Co2total = low, and ANA = positive)

The B12 came back normal, & I told her i had a B12shot the day before so it w/h/b/normal. So, not sure if I can get these now.. may have to wait a while & do more bloodwork when my levels r low again.

I told her I have NOT had any labs while on a fast, & told her I’ve been eating a WHOLE lot, & sometimes 2 pints of ice-cream/day since I’ve been taking this medication it’s made me super hungry all the time. Which would probably affect some of my levels, including my blood sugar levels.

The lab from my thyroid scan, taken on Friday 10-8-2010, came back & showed a little nodule. My Dr is going to refer me to a Rheumatologist for further examination.

I don't have a follow-up appointment set up w/my PCP. So, she said to set one up for @ the end of Dec.

I'm goingto make sure to have any new labs from other Dr’s which may be taken over time sent to their office to have on file, & also in case my B12 levels come back low so maybe I can have the B12 w/out complications from my insurance co.

Tomorrow I have an EGD done. YAY!

The assistant at my GI's office said they take pictures of what they find in the EGD, and I will get a copy of them with the report when done. I'm so curious!!! And I'm still having these weird chest pains.. idk

Dexky

Good luck tomorrow M!! I hope the EGD answers why you've been having the chest pains!! Now a rheumatologist...you collect doctors like stamps!!!

Thanks M! :D you make me smile!

Yea I get a Rheumy too.. Lol. Not only for the thyroid nodule, but for the positive ANA labs as well. Maybe they can help figure out what's up.
I'm to the point of writing detailed reports for my new Dr's now. Lol.. Oh man it's been a ride!

Thanks for the good luck! I'm so hoping they can figure out my chest pains, and finally take some biopsies, and see if there are any (or how many) ulcers r in my tummy! Not to mention my tongue has been weird lately too! Getting more apthous ulcers, so I know there are some in my tumm tumm. It hurts in there anyways. So we shall see.

Thank u so much for thinking of me today! I've had an off day, and have been a little sad. But here u r to make me smile! There's no family like a crohnie family!

Hiya,
Had the EGD this morning. Didn't find anything too significant I don't think. There were some erosions in the antrum, and some biopsies were taken. Have a few pics but they really don't mean anything to me.

Doesn't explain my chest pains though. Starting to worry about these since I have them daily.

Thought I would lose it a time or two lately. Been up and down on an emotional rolercoaster trying to figure out my darn body.

For now waiting on the biopsy results, and waiting on a referral to a rheumatologist for the abnormal (positive) ANA, and thyroid nodule. Humm.. I googled ANA and that just scares the heck out of someone because it lists so many different types of diseases you could have.

Only time will tell. Wishing everyone a wonderful night tonight, and hope you are all in good health. I'm here with you in thoughts and prayers even though I haven't posted much lately. Fatigue has bit me in the butt again! And my chest pain is driving me bonkers.. (Lol.. Maybe I'll get a new doc for that - bonkers) :)

Dexky

Sorry the EGD didn't clear it up M!! Hopefully, you'll get answers soon...so you can avoid that "new" doc :)!!

Sorry you're having such a rough time....hope you get answers soon so that you can be on your way to recovering. Good Luck. Hang in there.

Thanks Mark & Julie!!

I'm trying to have patience and keep it together.. Received a call from my Primary Care Phys office yesterday, they have me set up w/a Rheumatologist for Nov 2nd. Asked about the B12 shots, and since i had the labs taken the day after I received the last shot I dont think they will give them to me. Spent @ an hour on the ph yesterday evening going over these darn chest pains, have an apt w/my Prim CPhys tomorrow.

Went negative in my bank acct yesterday.. guess it's all the dr's visits, meds, bills, etc.. just didn't balance something quite right. (eke)

This morning i realized that I didn't get my e-stub for my direct deposit from my job yet. However, everyone else in the office has theirs. IDK what's up. Our server has been down most of the morning making it impossible to get anything done. And I'm still waiting to hear back from our actg dept to see if she just got the email wrong (for the 1st time.); or if I still have a job. IDK what to think at this point.

Was feeling ok this morning. Chest pains didn't even seem to phase me at all.. no telling now though.. hoping I dont have a coronary worrying about having a job, or paying bills.

Guess this is just an off day, as was yesterday. Thanks for all the support guys!

Update from EGD

Received a call from the GI's office to advise the EGD I had done on 10-12-2010 was ok, that it didn't show cancer. So, I said did the Dr not check for anything else? Did he not do a biopsy for Crohns? She said no, because he didn't do a colonoscopy.

Looks like your other doctor will look for that when he does a colonoscopy.

Oh, and the doctor will explain more when you have your follow up visit on Nov 3rd.

So, I said.. there's nothing that would explain why i've been having chest pains then either huh? Guess I'll just have to talk to my Primary Care Physician when I go see her tomorrow for chest pains.

She said, no - looks like there's no cancer.. and that's what he tested for.

IDK WTH is wrong with.. bla bla bla bla bla.. OMG!!! UGH

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Holy crap girly you sure have a lot to deal with.

I know it's contentious but god I wish you guys had universal health care.

Have you ever had your gallbladder checked out? I only say that because in some people problems with your gallbladder can present as chest pain and for all intents and purposes, if it becomes bad enough, they truly do feel like they are having a heart attack.

Thinking about you, :hug:
Dusty

Heya Dusty,
Thanks for thinkin of me! I've not had my gallbladder checked yet. But I am gonna try all I can when I see my primary care phys tomorrow. I'm so tired! The nurse assistant said that they will do the ekg there if the dr orders it tomorrow. I'm so so ready for results! I've been up and down in tears lately. I'm in awe of everyone going thru similar situaitions! It seems like it never ends sometimes!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I know it will cost money but maybe it would be worth getting an ultrasound of your gallbladder. Sorry I don't remember, but where is your Crohns located?

Oops, just read your signature. The reason I asked about the location of your Crohns is Roo's was located in her terminal ileum and for all but about 1 week in the lead to her diagnosis all her pain was high up, as in epigastric and just under her ribs, so a fair way from the cause.

Dusty. :)

Last edited:

Dexky

M, have you had any tests specifically for your heart? I'm just wondering because of the unanswered chest pain.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Dex, an EKG or ECG is an Electrocardiogram which measures the electrical activity of the heart and will pick up if there has been any previous damage to the heart or any abnormal rhythms.

Dusty. :)

Good morning Dex & Dusty! :D

I'm on my way to work for a bit then heading to see my Dr and hope she does do at the very least the EKG. No one has done any tests to date in regards to my heart. A few mos ago it wouldn't have been a big deal, however, since then I've been on many medications at the same time, and have never taken most before. Its a bit odd to me that a Dr will put you on medication knowing all the other dr's have you on meds too, and not even talk about having weekly labs done to monitor levels for that reason??!? But, they get paid by the visit/ test.. Bla bla bla
Not bashing Drs at all, they do us a great service. Just would love to see them care more!
But alas today I get to have a discussion about my heart. Oh joy! Note: my family hx: no granparents alive, father dead, mother is alive..
But they all know my imediate granparents died from (dad side = colon cancer/ heart disease) (mom side =lung cancer / brain aneurism) (father = stroke) (plenty of other immediate relatives died from various cancers, colon the most prevalent).

I hope they take my health seriously because it does make me feel like I'm being a hypochondriac at times, then I look at the meds I take/took, my getting sick.. And wonder why they didn't just do a battery of test at one or two good go rounds. You know get you to a hospital and get down to the problems from the start.

I hope if nothing else when I do get some answers I'll be able to help someone else one day! :) I'm still hoping for a miracle I suppose.. ( ;) that's what u call answers these days)

Much love u guys!! It means so much to me when u guys post and I know someones thinking of me. I get scared and cry but no one sees that.

Dangit tearry.. Ok, really getting ready for work now..

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Girly,

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they do, at the very least, an ECG. Keep us posted on the outcome of your visit. Good luck!!!

:hang:

Dusty. :hug:

Thanks Dusty!! Means a lot!:ycool:

PS.. I checked my bank account this morning, and my direct deposit from work did not go in.:shifty-t: Humm.. I asked about it yesterday since I didn't get the email thing.. some days just don't make sense..:yfrown:

Maybe i'll take a lesson from Mr. A.E... and change things up a bit.. ;)

Went to the Dr's..
All done. Gave 2 vials of blood,(believe she is checking for diabetes; and another complete panel to checks my B12 levels, and others), waiting on chest xray results, got a b12 shot (if my levels dropped enough in my labs she is going to start giving me a rx so I can do my own injections), and got set up for epatient care where u can email ur dr and they can email you and give you results too, they did an EKG and it looks good (so relieved!)

I told her it means a lot to me that they are checking everything now, and that if I have some other disease too It will sway me against having kids. I need to know what's going on w my body for peace of mind, and my future. The ANA screening they did before included Lupus, and I have a feeling she may think its a possibility for me to have it. Will wait more results, and will have to proceed w the Rheumatologist for more info.

The people @ me these days can't seem to believe all the things I'm doing or going thru. But its amazing what we can do when our life depends on it!

Hoping everyone's feeling good and in good spirits!

Love and Laughter
GirlyGirl ~aka~ Mon

Thanks Mark! It was a good visit! Think my Dr almost teared up at one point. I've been going there for years and this is all happening so fast. Kudos to you!! And Ej!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Mon,

I'm so happy for you that your feelings and questions are finally being validated, how relieved you must feel........good on you for making all this happen! Please continue to keep us posted on how you are going 'cause we are with you every step of the way.

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty

:) Thanks Dusty!!
I am happy at this point. Still not 100%. But making it. Its so great to feel like your Drs are on your side working w you! Its a bit intimidating when Drs start coming up w more diseases, but in life we have ups and downs.. And I will keep this forum as a part of me for years to come! Guaranteed! Its been my saving grace! And I feel like u guys have been like family the past few mos. Lacking much of my own it means so much to me and helps me to realize how strong all of u are!

Somedays I wonder what's next because I'm still waiting on a colonocsopy, and the Rheumatologist is going to pick my genes apart or something. IBD/CD -UC, possible thyroid disorder (even tho the nodule I have is small), and maybe Lupus?? Or Rheumatoid Arthritis..who knows what's next. But this is the only place I'll be w my full story! Maybe once they figure me out I can contribute more. Anyways, I couldn't leave here.. I'de miss u guys too much!

:D

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ahem.... like it is said in Hotel California... YOU can check out anytime you like but you can never leave! Even if you find out nothing is wrong , we welcomed you as a person, many people find out months later it was some kind of IBD. So, YOU ARE STAYING!!!! :wink:

Last edited:
Hiya Pen!! How r u lady?

Lol.. Don't know if I want a pina coloada and a hammoc in hawaii, or a pool table and a beer. Hehe.. Good music and good times!!

Missed u woman! Haven't talked to ya in a bit. Hope all is looking up for u!

Lol.. Yea I'm not escaping the IBD. (They've pinned that one on me for sure ;) )I'm just hoping the positive ANA is just the Crohn's and not Lupus! The more I can cross off my list the better!

Think I make start up a social group on here.. Like the chocolate one.. Will have to get to a regular computer first, but thinking "all things music" you know w sub threads: classic rock; relaxation; get it started party music; drinking tunes; all time best romance gingles; holiday fun; etc;

Sounds like fun anyways - ppl can join the group and contribute song tiltles of their favorites in the specified category.. Oh and maybe one day I, or someone, could make a compilation CD of all the best ones!! Would be kinda cool huh?? Humm...

Girly Girl Update..

Did get my test results in from the last Prim Care Phys visit.

Chest Xray - okay. (still having the chest pains off and on, now thinking it may be a muscle strain somehow??)
Vitamin B12 (had injection 9/29) on 9/30 level was 822 (normal @ 240 - 930); on 10/15 Level dropped to 360. So significant difference in 2 weeks. Hoping they will let me start having regular injections.

other than that nothing looking to be too bad. Levels on the CBC were on the low side, but seems to be the norm for me these days anyways.

Super duper nauseous today. :pale:

Still have a few visits.. CR Surgeon follow-up 10/27; Rheumatologsit 11/2; GI doc 11/3..

Kid sis is almost ready to have a my new nephew.. excitment is divine!

Hope everyone is doing great!!

Astra

Hiya Mon

soooooooooo sorry, I've missed all this, dunno how?
aw just a note to say I'm rooting for ya sista!
so glad someone is listening and taking action, hope you get some answers soon
hang on in there hun, we're here for you, always
xxxx

Thanks Joan!!
My dr's office did call me this morning. They are calling in the vials of B12 for me now. So, i am going to start giving myself injections every 2 wks/ then 1x/mo after that. then repeat B12 screen levels in 4 mos. Happy about that!

Called the pharmacy and requested a refill of the promethazine.. hoping it will rectify the nausea!!

Lady I just dont know somedays.. it sucks to have those icky no feel good days!

Think my next big step is to figure out when my CR Surgeon is going to schedule the colonoscopy, and see how the Rheumatologist is going to figure me out.. ??

Thanks so much for thinking of me! Means a lot! I get so down sometimes.. seems like my body keeps going up and down and i have no control over it. It's with moods, and physically too.. so flippin weird!

Anywho, hope you have been doin good! Haven't been on the up and up too much the past week. so, not hip to the latest skinny.. :wink:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Mon, :bigwave:

So good to see some things are finally being sorted. So OK your B12 is dropping, did they give you some explanation as to why? The terminal ileum is where B12 is absorbed, could there be inflammation there and this is what is causing your malabsorption..........just something to think about. This could also tie in with your upper abdominal pain, maybe. Since the chest pain is continuing and also nausea I still reckon you should have your gallbladder checked out. Just my two cents worth.....:eek:

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

Hi M, my two cents ain't worth as much as Joan's and Dusty's but I'm still here wishing you the best. I'm glad something is happening!! Good luck!!

Thanks Mark! Your 2 cents mean a lot to me too.. :D

And Hiya Dusty!! It was me bugging my primary Care Phys to even have the B12 checked into. I've known for a while that my body has not been well. Getting really tired.. and dragging bottom.. I asked for these last year.. WAY before any of this came up & my Dr said the only way they give those is if you have anemia b/c insurance Co's don't like to pay for it. But I'm so happy to have actual copies of the dates and levels now! close to 500pts down in 2wks (after a shot to begin with) seems like there is something going on. I'm feeling a bit down again today.. i'm making it. but it is a struggle at the same time.

I think the meet w/my CR Surgeon on the 27th will give me a date for the colonoscopy, and I will discuss w/him then about the EGD the GI did, and also - the B12 levels, and hopefully he'll get me going for the colonoscopy! It scares me a bit to know there could still be other issues (unseen) at the moment. The stomach bloating, fatigue, irritability, lack of concentration.. etc.. it's a bit much. But still put a smile on my face every day and go to work. IDK...

Then on to my 1st Rheumatologist apt on the 2nd. Which i will make sure to bring up my gallbladder too. From what I understand (mind u i've never seen a Rheumy before) they are going to figure out what all diseases are going on in my body. I have a feeling my Primary Care Phys is leaning towards thinking I may have lupus. Just sucks so bad to KNOW something is going on, but not exactly what! As everyone i'm sure has dealt with before. The positive ANA in my blood will be picked apart I think. (make sense?) IDK how it really works, but my Primary Care Phys said they will be able to tell me if it's just Crohn's, or if I have another active disease going on. Like Lupus, or Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've been achy lately, and i'm thinking.. oh boy.. here we go again, my body is on the verge of another inflamation fiasco.. i can feel it slowly coming on.. kinda like when u know your about to get the flu.. the first signs.. (so not good..)

And to be honest i have NO idea what my GI is going to do on our follow up on the 3rd.

To boot, i'm not quite sure how i'm going to pay for all of these medications, and dr's visits, it's getting overwhelming! ((I know i'm not alone.. )) but gosh darnit!!

You know.. i would love a pill cam.. I keep thinking .. ok, now which Dr is going to be the one to suggest it one day.. humm... dun dun dun..

Ah... and i've been thinking about dating.. and it's like, ok.. my stomach acts a darn fool! :ybatty:Always making noises, I sware it has a mind of its own. Nauseous one day, full of energy the next, D one day.. ok.. some days.. sometimes C.. bloating.. dangit.. does it stop? :yfaint:

Oh Boy!! I'm just a rambling on this morning.. lol.. Thank you guys so much! You truely are the best! :hug::hug::hug::hug:

Sheez, hang in there GirlyGirl. Hopefully you'll get everything nailed down soon. You're being held together with bailing wire and duct tape right now, huh?

Hey Tmos.. LOL.. seems that way.

Well they keep playing with my medications, and maybe .. just maybe I'll know what's all going on one day. Woo Woo!! <-- me mustering some enthusiasm.. U hang in there too buddy! Maybe this will be the lucky few mos we all get figured out and fixed.. ;)