• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

UC and rectal spasm

Any advice? I get the spasms that wake me up at night and then off and on throughout the day. The ones at night are the worst! However, the more immediate problem is I'm in the middle of a pretty bad flare with a lot of bleeding and the rectal spasms are fairly nonstop. The spasms are on the mild side for the most part, but they are there and come and go with an occasional intense one that catches my breath. I can't sit in the bath right now since I'm working, and I am trying to avoid more drugs since I am already tired as all get out. (If it gets worse, I know I won't care though!! ha!)

Any helpful non-drug tips?

Thanks!

No tips for you I'm afraid, but is that what it is when you feel like you're gonna crap yourself but you physically can't move to get to the bathroom, and you just have to hold tight till it passes and then make a run for it?

I'm laughing because I know that feeling all too well!!
Actually, this is a bit different.. a bit hard to describe. It's like a charlie horse in your calf, but it's in your butt and shoots straight up. Like lightening.

That's kind of what I mean, if it hits when you're sat down it hurts so bad but you can't move or stand up because the muscles tighten too much. Always wondered what that was, but I had those long before my CD diagnosis so figured it was normal! Not often, maybe once or twice a month (always first thing in the morning) but always just figured it was from an urgent need to go.

Astra

Google Levator Ani Syndrome! It's a shooting pain up the bum, and it hurts like bilio!

Also check my post - Top foods to keep you young, I have a link on liquorice, it can help with spasms if eaten moderately. (cos it has a laxative effect too!)

By the way, if you're having those all the time you have my sympathy. Actually I'm laughing now because I just got this image of you trying to walk down the corridor at work but having to stop still every couple of steps, just like you were playing grandmother's footsteps! (do you have that game where you live?)

Ooh, just had an idea, if you get cramp (charley horse) in your leg you have to massage it to make it go...

Doesn't sound like I have levator ani syndrome, as it gets better after a bm. I think it's just muscle cramp from subconsciously holding it all night (since it only seems to happen first thing). Though I did see massage suggested as a treatment!

I have diarrhea and rarely anything else. The spasms that wake me from sleep I assumed was from holding, though there was never anything there. Right now, however, they are constant and I am definitely empty. I have read up about "the massage." That probably would help (gads!!)..but how to do that while working?? hahaha!! Can't you just see that? hahaha!

Maybe you would be better off trying something like a heated pad on your chair at work, be a bit more discreet than walking round with your hand in your pants! And you could just say you get cold easy.

My husband always complains about my cold butt, so you could be right. If I get the unicorn warm, maybe it'll settle down and just give me the glitter instead. Win-Win!!

This thread made me Laugh out Loud!! Glad I'm not alone. Now to try to erase these mental images ya'll have given me.......