• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hair is coming out in large chunks

okay so. i went back to my primary care doctor who diagnosed me with early crohns and he was very upset that another doctor, a GI, said i didnt have anything wrong with me and took me off my meds. so he put me back on prilosec and asacol. is there anything else i should ask for? i deff dont ever want to see prednisone again in my life, i am still trying to get my body back from that one! i am doing a little better with foods, but still cant do dairy, wheat/gluten. he told me stress plays a huge factor in everything thats been happening with me, and i do agree i have been stressed but no person can completey avoid stress 100% of the time. im a full time student, cant work bc my employer thinks im lieing and doesn't believe that i have good/bad days, so therefore i cant pay my bills. that is enough stress there. soo. my hair is still coming out.. in large chunks.. and i have visible bald spots.. but the doc reassured me it would stop and it would grow back in, it was just bc of the pred. but ive been off pred since aug.. so is there hope? haha. just wanted to check and see if there is any other medicine i should ask for to get better.thanks. hope you guys are well!

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know about the meds or anything - but you had hair loss with Pred? I'm having a lot of hair loss with 6MP, but I didn't know Pred could do that! I wish I wasn't on it either, my whole body morphed... haha. I worry about entering the work force, I'm a student right now and can hardly manage that schedule - and I know employers are far less gracious out there. I hope that you have more good days than bad though! And that we both get our hair back!

I get hectic hair loss when i'm flaring, think it has something to do with the malabsorbtion. Don't know about the meds, but good luck!!

:)

I was working full time and a commuting college grad student when I was dx'd. I feel your pain! Stress plays a major roll for me. Since I've graduated, I've found smaller ways to relax. Now a days I drive 25-30 mins each way with work. That's an hour of me time everyday. :) Rediculous maybe, but it's working for me right now.

When my docs were worried about the side effects of Prednisone, they put me on Entocort EC. I've been on it, at various levels, for almost a year and a half or more. It's supposed to work the same I guess, but without as many of the side effects. As long as I've been on it, the weight gain, acne breakouts, nerves, hair loss, etc hasn't been nearly as bad as they used to be. I still notice chunks of hair every other month or so.. Still beats daily! Everything else has become much lower now too.

Good luck!

ameslouise

I had hair loss after a long time on Pred. It stopped falling out when I was off it for about 3 weeks. How are your iron levels? Low hemoglobin can also make your hair fall out, along with a bunch of other vitimin deficiencies.

Good luck - hope you start to feel better soon! -Amy