• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone and Joint Pain?

Currently on 50mg of Prednisone and I had the worst pain in my knees last night. I could barely walk and defintanly couldn't sleep without the help of advil. Was some of the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Is the prednisone causing this?

On a side note, I also seem to be bulling muscles/ligaments/tendents easier now too since being on prednisone. How do I fix all this?

Astra

Hiya Grey

Little word in your shell like, DO NOT TAKE NSAIDS!!!! This includes Advil, Diclofenic and Ibuprofen.
Dunno about the joint pain and Pred, I got joint pains when I came off them! I also developed tendonitis in my elbow and burstitis in my shoulder cos of the Pred.
You need to speak to your gastro
good luck
xxx

I woke up this morning feeling the same way! My feet, knees, and back were killing me....still are. I've never had this happen on Pred before. I also started on 6MP a week and a half ago, same time as the Pred. I'm wondering if maybe it's the 6MP.

Grey, are you taking anything else along with the Pred? Oh yeah, likeAstra said, watch that Advil! If you are in a flare, you really shouldn't use ANY NSAIDS. My GI says it's ok if you are in remission and even then, only very rarely in small amounts. Which sucks because Motrin is THE BEST for joint pains :(

My GI told me never to touch Advil (or any of Advil's friends) ever again.

I have joint pain right now, but I'm coming off of pred. I'm a little torked about it because I'm not a fan of prednisone or the 6 new neck folds I have going here or the extra 20lbs I just put on. But I hate to think that it has been working all of this time and now that I'm coming off of it, I'm looking at a lifetime of on pred/off pred... on 20lbs.. off 20lbs... it's just not a coaster I want to wait in line for...

Hiya Grey

Little word in your shell like, DO NOT TAKE NSAIDS!!!! This includes Advil, Diclofenic and Ibuprofen.
Dunno about the joint pain and Pred, I got joint pains when I came off them! I also developed tendonitis in my elbow and burstitis in my shoulder cos of the Pred.
You need to speak to your gastro
good luck
xxx
So there is nothing I can take for the pain then?

Also I should say, I am weening off the prednisone, at 50mg currently from 60.

Astra

You could try weak opioids like Tramadol or Codeine but they are not anti inflammatory.
or an antidepressant such as Amitriptyline which can relieve nerve pain
You're already on a co-analgesic, the steroids, so they should be helping?
My GP gave me Ibugel, a rub on gel, this is ibuprofen but is topical, which means it doesn't enter the guts, it reduces swelling and pain.

Back when I was really sick, I had some serious joint pain in my knees. It was so bad that I could barely even walk! I talked to my GI and he said that because CD is an inflamitory disease, when it is really bad, it can have an effect on your joints and cause inflammation there as well. Once I got my crohns under control, my joint pain went away, but it was horrible for quite a while.
Also like others have said avoid NSAIDs (advil etc.) like the plague! they are hard on the stomach. Tylonol is a better option.

I also have joint pain. I originally thought it was from the Humira I was trying or the remicade, but it no longer seems to correlate with those injections.

It started as being just my knees sometimes, but has expanded to ankles, feet, elbows and hands. It can be anywhere from an hour and very light to sometimes lasting a full day and very severe. A few times it was to the point that I couldn't move or use my arms or legs.

To treat it, which I am still working on, I start by taking tylenol as soon as any pain begins. Hopefully that keeps the pain low or eliminates the problem. If it escalates, I normally take Tylenol with codeine which usually helps. However, it is a narcotic, addictive and not safe for long term or regular use so I need to choose my battles. Which pains are manageable until they pass and which ones I need to just medicate against is tricky.

I've only been on prednisone for 6 weeks and this began two weeks ago. Good luck!

PS- NEVER NEVER take Advil, Motrin, or ibuprofen. They are bad for your colitis- you'll regret it! Stick to Tylenol.

Before I found LDA Immunotherapy, they had me on tons of predisone and I never did well with it....always some screwy side effects.

Please consider LDA Immunotherapy. LDA Immunotherapy has an 80% success rate and has been used on over 350,000 patients worldwide.

My super doc here like to use LDA and LDN together. I have had amazing results. There is an LDA Immunotherapy thread on this forum...found here:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45977