• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade verses Hunira

Has anyone been on Remicade then switched to Humira then back on Remicade?
Just curious
Humira is not working for me no longer
Having bad joint,muscle back and stomach aches.
I am assuming that my body is going threw withdrawls from lack of Humira.
I'm not sure if I can go back to remicade.:

D

Digits

As you know from the other thread, i have just recently gone through that

i was on remicade for 6 years, every 6 weeks

then on 2 shots of humira every other week for 6 months

now i just completed my 2 infusions in 2 weeks of remicade, and am now going to get an infusion once a month.

I think i was able to switch, because the remicade didnt COMPLETELY stop working, it just slowed down. the humira was still working, but i popped up with some fistulas, and remicade is better with those.

Kev

Hey Tammysue.. Sorry to hear that Humira isn't doing the job for you anymore. I hope switching back to Remicade does the trick. A lot of folks think that you can't, but according to my GI, it can be done... as long as your body hasn't built up any anti-bodies... think that having been on it and the Humira, there's a good chance it will work out OK. Even if it doesn't, perhaps that will present an opportunity to try other options. Like, maybe discussing with your doc about a possible trial of LDN. Figure if Humira AND Remicade are off the table, then the doc MIGHT consider something experimental, like LDN. It seems to be working for me... and the risks are relatively minor. Anyway, all the best. Fingers X'd..

Kev said:
Hey Tammysue.. Sorry to hear that Humira isn't doing the job for you anymore. I hope switching back to Remicade does the trick. A lot of folks think that you can't, but according to my GI, it can be done... as long as your body hasn't built up any anti-bodies... think that having been on it and the Humira, there's a good chance it will work out OK. Even if it doesn't, perhaps that will present an opportunity to try other options. Like, maybe discussing with your doc about a possible trial of LDN. Figure if Humira AND Remicade are off the table, then the doc MIGHT consider something experimental, like LDN. It seems to be working for me... and the risks are relatively minor. Anyway, all the best. Fingers X'd..
Hi
Thanks everyone
Kev Are you sure that us Canadians can switch back to Remicade? It did help or slow down the drainage from my several fistulas. I just tried to call my Dr. today waiting for a call back.
Also Kev when I last visited my Gi he new nothing about LDN. I basically had to fill in the blanks for him.

I just hope I can get back on Remicade that Humira just did not get along with me and my body. Now at least I am breathing better and my hair is not falling out as much

Thanks Tammy

Kev

Hey TammySue... Am I sure about the Remicade switch? Short answer is a big NO

Here is what I've been told by my GI (and I've no reason to distrust anything she has told me).. Once a person is put on Remicade, most docs try to keep them on it for as long as possible... even if it isnt' doing miracles for them.. as when taken off it, there is a chance the body will develop anti-bodies to it that could cause a negative reaction... or enuff resistance that the benefits may be less than the risks involved. So, a person could go back on it, and their body may not have developed anti-bodies, and everything works out hunky-dory. or they may have started the process of developing anti-bodies, and their body now fights the drug... lessening the benefits and increasing risk of rejection or other issues. So it really is a coin toss. Thing of it is, even if one never came off the drug, there is still a chance that anti-body or adverse reactions cause it to become out of the question anyway. so, personally, I think one has to enter into it with a sense of optimism, and just hope for the best. you should check with your doc to see if my 'translation' of what my GI told me sounds correct.
She was talking sense, and I was listening in idiot.

Hi Tammy. I've been on Humira for almost 6 weeks now and have seen no improvements. My GI said I should have seen some changes by now. He is suggesting surgery as drug treatments seem not to be working but I want to exhaust all options before surgery.

Will ask GI if at all possible to try infliximab. I've tried Mesasal, 6-MP, Pred, Flagyl and Cipro. The antibiotics are the only thing that make any real and lasting difference but my GI says that I can't stay on them long term because of side effects.

I didn't realise that you could try Humira and Infliximab, I thought they were pretty much one in the same drug.

Let us know how you get on