• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Change in Diagnosis

Well, I was first here several months ago and told you of my diagnosis of Mastocytic Enterocolits in June of this year. Since that diagnosis, I've never gotten any better. I started having severe joint aches again, and went back to my GI. He decided to run the blood test (I don't know what it's called..sorry:(...) and he called back 2 days ago and informed me that I do have Crohn's Disease. I have a small bowel follow through scheduled for the 22nd, and then a capsule endoscopy after that. While waiting on the lab results the GI sent me for an MRI due to some odd symptoms I had been having and the joint pain. When I met with the neuro to tell him my symptoms, he said it was all anxiety and prescribed me Fluoxetine and Valium. Then I get the call about it being Crohn's and that is the true source of my joint pain..so I was highly annoyed at the nuero.

Anyway, I have taken two of the fluoxetines, (haven't messed with the valium) and every since I have been so sick!!! I am sick to my stomach, and then today felt so strange and then the D started back in:(

I don't know if its the fluoxetine or the oatmeal I ate the other day. Every since I ate the oatmeal I have had terrible heartburn!!!

I also was wondering if anyone gets extremely anxious with their flares?? I get so scared and feel so weird when I have a flare...is this just me??!

Thanks so much for listening to my long confusing story!!

Regular Joe

Hi,

Crohn's can do some mighty peculiar things. I get joint aches as a "prodrome" - before the flare sets in. At first I definitely had anxiety. If your neuro prescribed Fluoxetine, I'm not sure if that will help with joint pain. I do know that Cymbalta is a similar antidepressant, but it definitely is helpful with joint pain AND anxiety. It's a newer more specialized medication, whereas Prozac (Fluoxetine) has been around for a long time, and it isn't as versatile as Cymbalta.

Crohn's is said to have EIM's of both anxiety and depression - particularly when in flare up. I've experienced both. You are probably having side effects that might go away after you take Prozac for a couple weeks. Or the joint pain might fade as you get into the flare and you start getting the "classic" bowel symptoms. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another neuro. My neuro works with all of my other doctors,,,he actually knows drugs and side effects that he pretty much manages all of my meds, imcluding the GI. They just respect his knowledge and they'll often prescribe the dosages he recommends.

If you are taking the combination of drugs, don't drink any type of alcoholic beverages because it is very dangerous with benzo's (valium) and antidepressants.

Hope this helps

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry about your recent diagnosis. Crohn's isn't easy to deal with and many of us deal with anxiety. I know I do. When I am not feeling well, I become very anxious, which in turn, makes my symptoms worse. It's a vicious cycle!

My suggestion is to try to take it day by day. Don't let your thoughts run wild. If you are having a good day, enjoy it. If you are having a bad day, just think to yourself that tomorrow may be better.

Good luck with your upcoming tests and keep us posted!

MendyVarner, great to have you aboard! First off, I would stop taking the fluoxetines if I were you. Having joint pains is from the Crohn's like your GI said, I have Crohn's and I have joint pains when I flare... Look I take an antianxiety/antidepressant drug because I have had issues with insomnia and this seems to be the only thing that helps me sleep. I really thing these drugs are over prescribed in the US and Western Europe, if you don't have problems with anxiety then don't take those things. If you do have anxiety issues then it may be a good thing because like Jill says anxiety can make symptoms worse.

sorry about the joints and the heartburn. it is the story of my existence. you might want to see a rhematogist.
I have ankylosing spondylitis which is a form of inflammatory arthritis that effects the ligaments and tendons which do not always show up in imaging. it specify attacks the spine and si joints, many people also have rib pain. I take tramadol for the pain.

i do not get any "classic symptoms" only went to a gi because i had and have horribale never ending heatburn.
good luck!

Thanks for all the advice!!!!! I had the IBD sgi Diagnostic test from Prometheus Labs..just got a letter from them so found out what the blood test was called.

I think the Fluoxetine has set me off!! I am now back to square one have D several times a day, and I developed some nasty hives on my back. SO needless to say I quit the fluoxetine after only 2 doses....

Thanks for the welcomes:) Also, Outlier I plan on making an appt. with a rheumatologist as soon as I finish these other test!!!:)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Mendy and welcome back. Sorry to hear about your change in diagnosis :(

While it's understandable from a psychological standpoint to have anxiety, since you have Crohn's Disease, we must also look at it from a different perspective as well. Iron deficiency and magnesium deficiency are actually shown to cause anxiety and both are common in people with Crohn's Disease. You can read about the deficiencies here. I would suggest getting your iron and magnesium levels checked and while you're at it, throw vitamin B12, D, and Folate in for good measure if possible.

All my best to you!