• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Am I going crazy or does everything end up being related to Crohns?

I went to the hospital a few days ago because of major chest pain, some hives (not severe). (They tested for everything EXCEPT B12, they took 7 vials of blood!!!) Then at the statcares lately I've been going because of UTI's, and pinkeye, and I might be getting a yeast infection of sorts. Antibiotics pretty much kill me so I hope within a 2 and 1/2 month period I don't have to go back for MORE antibiotics! My Kryptonite :( I got the one canker sore in my mouth, my random nausea, spasms (Bentyl is helping spasms etc). Random body aches....starting to feel my joints hurt worse than before. My hips and legs hurt in the joint areas. I feel so weird having so many problems all the time. People in the statcares and outpatient labs know who I am :(

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Chest pain was mentioned somewhere in the past but I don't recall if it was Cron's related or not. I have a heart condition so I know what my chest pain is from. Always good to check out your heart to be on the safe side. The heart does work overtime when the rest of your body isn't well but anything you consider major should be checked out. As for everything else mentioned above, ya, that could all be Crohn's related. Joint pain can also be arthritis (I'm only 29 and I have arthritis) but more than likely Crohn's (always be sure though especially if its a certain area that continues to hurt even off and on, an x-ray will show arthritis). I've had hives in the past. There are articles out there about how Crohn's can affect the skin (forgive me I'm tired and don't have time to research it at the moment to show you a link). Your resistance is down from the Crohn's as it is an autoimmune disorder and from frequent antibiotic use. Only take antibiotics when you're sure you have a bacterial infection. A lot of doctors throw antibiotics around like candy and it kills all the bacteria, including good bacteria making you susceptible to illness.

Don't worry, people in the ER, doctor's offices and labs know who I am too (same goes for everyone else on the forum I think). It's not really a bad thing. Quicker service in my opinion. ;)

I only go to the statcares when I know for sure that I have an infection. I usually wait 5 days before going to statcare just to make sure I have an infection lol. Plus the doctors do tests and realize that I really had infections. Antibiotics really hurt me but I can't seem to stop getting infections :O

David

Co-Founder
You're certainly not crazy. Obviously everything isn't related to Crohn's Disease, but due to the nature of it, it's easy to think that and hey, quite often the symptoms are. Crohn's packs the double duo of being an inflammatory condition that can affect pretty much anywhere in the body AND one where malabsorption isn't uncommon which leads to a variety of other issues.

But let's look at one example to put things into perspective. A majority of people in 1st world countries are vitamin D deficient. Crohnies simply manage to take it to a new level AND it's important for their health to properly supplement when deficient. If I was a doctor and one Crohnie and one normal person came in and both were deficient, I'd probably tell the Crohnie it's due to their Crohn's Disease simply because it makes them more susceptible. But in the end, even without their Crohn's, they probably would have been deficient and experiencing symptoms simply due to the nature of 1st world lifestyles.

Anyway, I hope you start feeling much better soon :)

I completely understand your frustration. My son has only been diagnosed for 4 months and he has been checked out for heart issues, tumors on his liver, knee pain, eye issues, throat problems, and I am probably forgetting a few. His heart issues ended up being from Prednisone side effects, knee pain I think is just from growing and basketball, liver spots ended up being nothing, his eyes ended up being fine. So I guess the answer is sometimes it's crohn's, sometimes it's meds that effect us in a certain way, and sometimes it is stuff normal people get but we are more worried about it because of the disease.

Johnny is going to physical therapy right now for his knees and she put patches on his knees that release anti-inflammatories directly into the knees slowly over 14 hours. Because the meds don't pass through the digestive tract the G.I. has okayed them. Just a thought, I know the knee pain can be seriously debilitating.

Good luck, hopefully things will even out soon.

Tiffany

I've heard on another post that my birth control for my Menorrhagia could be the culprit in giving me constant UTI's, bladder infections, and yeast infections? That would suck, I can't stop birth control because of my Menorrhagia! When I was 12 I was literally bleeding all over the floor of my parent's place and the ER and having periods last 2 to 2 and 1/2 weeks with major pain that tylenol and midol couldn't help. Now birth control helps but I need to ask about being on a different kind of birth control because of my crohns and because think my Lialda is making my BC less effective! I've been going heavier and longer since starting my Lialda.

I only go to Statcares and ERs when I absolutely am SURE that I have an infection or something wrong with me. I'm starting to think because of dealing with my crohns and stress etc......that the people in the ER, the doctor's office that I call, and statcares probably just think I'm paranoid :/ when I'm not. Just trying to get healthy and get rid of infections :/