• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Parent of child with CD- An interesting Case

Hi! My 6 year old son was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when he was 2. His case is somewhat of a mystery. I am excited to share his story and welcome any thoughts or experiences anyone may have. I will be sharing both the quick and detailed version of his case. The Quick Story- For about 4 years my son was in a near constant state of inflammation in his intestines. Despite being on strong medications, his symptoms and poor labs pursued. Then, on a hunch and by our own decision, my husband and I started to give him Pepcid (famotidine). We gave it for its H2 antagonist (antihistamine) property. Within 2 weeks my son went into remission for the FIRST TIME ever. He has remained in remission for many months. It was as if a switch had been flipped. A detailed account of his medical history follows.

Pre-remission, my son had diarrhea 4-6 times daily, on average, for most of his life. There was often visible blood. His height and weight have been stunted. He has been on all of the standard drugs including: Pentasa, Prednisolone (for 9 months), Imuran (special blood tests showed that his body was not absorbing this at all), Remicade (ANAPHYLACTIC reaction on third infusion), and Humira which he's been on for about two years till present. The meds have done nothing to improve his symptoms or labs. Bloodwork has always shown significant inflammation. Colonoscopies done a year apart showed no improvement. There were numerous granulomas found upon biopsy.

In April 2012 my son got an NG tube. The doctor suggested trying to add Methotrexate along with the Humira, but we chose the tube. My son began receiving enteral nutrition. He slowly began to gain weight. However, after 3 months his symptoms were bad and his labs were the worst ever. His labs included a Sed Rate of 30 and a CRP of 4.1.

In July 2012 there was a huge turn of events. Without consulting the GI doctor (we checked with a pediatrician to make sure it would be safe), my husband and I began giving our son 10 mg famotidine (Pepcid) daily. This is why- When our daughter was 8 (she is now 14), she had unexplained hives all over her body everyday for an entire year! She was given a long list of antihistamines without any improvement. Finally, an allergist had us give her Pepcid for its H2 antihistamine property. Amazingly, it worked! She took it for a while and never had hives again. Although she does not have IBD, we thought both children may share some unknown genetic autoimmune condition.

Then came the stunning results. Within 2 weeks of taking Pepcid, my son began to show significant improvement in his symptoms for the first time in his entire life! (Remember, 4 years of strong IBD drugs failed consistently). His weight gain and height (especially with the enteral nutrition calories) increased dramatically. He gained 10 pounds and 2.7 inches in height in about 6 months! Labs confirmed- remission. His sed rate dropped down to 1 (it was previously 30). His CRP dropped to 0.6 (it had been 4.1). For reference, normal sed rates are 0-20. Normal CRP is 0-0.9. Interestingly, his Vitamin D level was a little low, which seems common for Myocystic Enterocolitis I have read about. We also added an H1 antihistamine, Claritin. The NG tube came out around Christmas.

At this point, we are faced with many questions. Does our son really have CD, or does he have CD and another condition? Since he failed for 4 years on IBD drugs, but reacted immediately and impressively to an antihistamine that works in the intestines, perhaps he has a Mast Cell Disorder. I have researched and found that an excess of Mast Cells or histamine can cause severe inflammation in the intestines, as well as diarrhea. Also, if one's DAO enzyme level is low, it can cause a build up of intestinal histamine. On this forum, I read about Myocystic Enterocolitis for the first time. I have been looking into this as well. It is especially intriguing as the treatment for ME is to give H1 and H2 antihistamines (the only drugs my son responded to).

Our plan is to meet with the allergist that prescribed the Pepcid to our daughter for her hives. Hopefully, he will agree that my son's case warrants further exploration. I'd like my son's biopsies (from previous colonoscopies) to be re-evaluated. He's had 2 separate evaluations and bloodwork by 2 immunologists and an allergist a few years ago. While everything came back normal, perhaps now they have something specific to look for. Our pediatrician and my GP support our theory, which is encouraging. I am looking forward to chatting with you! Thanks for reading! Who knows, maybe Pepcid will help others suffering with CD!

Hi and welcome,

My GP thought Grace could have ME. I started a thread about that. Here's the link.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=40549

Now my Grace doesn't have that but does have Eos disease. Both are rare in a child this young or so I've been told by her GI and others.

So yes it is possible to have more than one disease. If you have any questions please ask away!
We have a wonderful Parent's Forum. Please feel free to join.

wonder if the two have the same disease, but his is internal and hers presented itself externally? Many people have internal reaction to allergies and some have external reaction. A thought....hope you find out soon.

my little penguin

Staff member
Please look into mast cell activation disorder -
The top pediatric allergist in the US is
At Brigham young women's and works closely with Bch.

Here us a support group of parents whose kids have mast cell diseaes
Symptoms can differ depending on the person and in which organ(s) the over-active mast cells are present. They can include, in both children and adults:

Hives, Skin rashes, Flushing, Abdominal pain, Bloating, Nausea, Diarrhea, Constipation, Malabsorption, Non-cardiac Chest Pain, Headache, Fatigue, Sleep disruption, Joint/Bone pain, Muscle Pain, Pruritis (itching), Swelling (including of throat), Congestion, Respiratory/asthma-like symptoms, Hypotension (low blood pressure), Anaphylaxis, and more.

Drawn from: Definitions, Criteria and Global Classification of Mast Cell Disorders with Special Reference to Mast Cell Activation Syndromes: A Consensus Proposal, Valent P, Akin C, Arock M; Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2012; 157:215-225

http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/displayForumTopic/content/9454934902920635

Crohn's Mom

Hi Zinna,

Did the biopsies from your son's colonoscopies show Crohn's? Or Granulomas ? Or we're they "normal".
How did they come about diagnosing CD ?

That is really interesting about the Pepcid helping so much ~
My daughter has been diagnosed with CD, but like your daughter, pre-diagnosis she also went about an entire year with outbreaks of hives everywhere. She still has a lot of issues with this happening, and all of the meds she has taken seem to be not controlling things as they should be.

My son has had 3 colonoscopies and two endoscopies. We tried an upper GI with small bowel followthrough a few years ago. That didn't work because he didn't want to drink the barium! During the colonoscopies the doctor was able to see inflammation in mostly the large intestine. Biopsies showed granulomas. His second colonoscopy biopsies showed so many granulomas that my son was tested for a granuloma disease. Luckily, that came back negative. It's rare and he didn't have the other symptoms anyway. The GI diagnosed my son with CD because of the granulomas and the way the inflammation "skipped" sections of tissue. He was explaining to me the other day that while he only saw inflammation in the large intestine, biopsies in the last colonoscopy showed inflammation in the terminal ileum and stomach as well. He said there is a new classification system for IBD that uses what is viewed by the eye, not the biopsies. I know, sounds strange. He didn't seem to like the new classification system either. In our case, since he only saw the inflammation in the colon, my son by definition would have "colonic" CD only. He hasn't had a colonoscopy/endoscopy for a year and a half. Thanks for listening!:rosette1:

This is our plan. We are seeing the allergist/immunologist who originally prescribed the pepcid to my daughter for hives. Our pediatrician strongly recommended we do that. In addition, we are going to see an immunologist who specializes in research for IBD/inflammation. My GP had the idea my son's biopsies should be checked for Mast Cells/histamine and DAO enzyme levels. Our GI directed us to the research immunologist for further discussion on that. I presented the GI with a list of 12 "scholarly" articles on the relationship between IBD diarrhea and Mast Cells/histamine. Many are somewhat recent articles. He is reading them and bringing it up with colleagues. Hopefully this will get us somewhere!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear about your son :( My heart goes out to you, him, and your entire family.

Does he have any symptoms that are not intestinal in nature? Anything going on with his lungs, nose, eyes, skin, sinuses, etc?

Have his ANCAs been tested? If so, anything elevated?

Are you certain it was the Pepcid and not the enteral nutrition that was being utilized at the same time that led to improvements?

And finally, if you'd like to share the biopsy reports, we'd be happy to evaluate them.

All my best to you.

Hello. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! We've all been sick. To answer your questions...My son has had mild allergy symptoms. Prior to the Pepcid he had a constant runny nose, but no sneezing or accompanying allergy syptoms. He has had a few outbreaks of unexplained hives. When he was first diagnosed with Crohn's he had the Prometheus Labs IBD panel of blood work. It came back indicating Crohn's. Specifically, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae IgG level was high at 47.4 and the IgA was less than 20. The enteral nutrition contributed to my son's success during remission- he gained 10 pounds (about 30% of his starting weight). He also gained about 3 inches in height. Once he was able to absorb calories due to the calmed inflammation, his growth really sky rocketed. Here's why I think it was not the EN that induced the remission. He was on it for a full 3 months with no improvement in labs or symptoms. The GI thought if it didn't work by then, it might not be the treatment for us. In fact, his symptoms and labs were at their worst a few months into EN. He had been receiving EN a little over 3 months when we began the Pepcid. The change in symptoms was dramatic, and began within 2 weeks. His labs were clear of inflammation for the first time ever, taken a few months later. He has been off the EN for 2 months now :ybiggrin:with continued success-but I know if EN works, taking someone off of it may sustain remission. I am open to the possibility that the Pepcid was the catalyst for the EN, or even the Humira, to "kick in". He's still on the Humira (been on it for 2 years). So, basically I feel he has Crohn's and a Mast Cell issue, or some "hybrid" IBD. My son has not responded to 4 years of meds like Imuran, steroids, Remicade and Humira. I find it compelling that he responded to the Pepcid. We are in the course of seeing a few allergists/immunologists. Our GI doctor is in close contact with those doctors. I will update his case and keep you posted! Thanks so much for listening.

Hi my name is Jacob. I'm a 17 year old male who lives just outside of Washington DC. I have a very long and complicated story that is similar to this.
First, some background:
I've always had bad seasonal environmental allergies. I am allergic to shirts that I wear that have not been washed. I break out in terrible full-body hives.
In November 2011, I went to bed one night as normal Jacob, and woke up suddenly with stomach pain. I was eventually seen by GI and diagnosed with undetermined IBD. After a colonoscopy and endoscopy I was diagnosed with UC. I was put on Asacol and Prednisone. The Asacol did not do a thing. In fact, doctors believed that it caused me pancreatitis and hospitalization in April 2012. I was hospitalized in April 2012 for a weak with pancreatitis, C. Diff, and a flare. I was discharged on 6MP and serious amount of prednisone. I was on 50mg of prednisone for about 3-4 months. Tests showed that my liver enzymes were raised with the 6MP, so I had to stop. I tried Humira for 16 weeks. I had no response at all to that. I added 25mg of Methotrexate. Again, no response. I was admitted to the hospital in November 2012 was a severe flare. Another colonoscopy and endoscopy revealed that it was Crohn's Disease and not UC. I was discharged on Remicade, Methotrexate, and 60mg of prednisone. I received 100mg of benadryl with the Remicade, and it seemed to actually work for a couple of months (Benadryl was stopped after a few treatments)! However, I am writing now from the hospital again. In the middle of another flare; in search of answers. My parents and I have always felt that there was something more to this. Something that the doctors were missing. WHY IS NOTHING WORKING?? WHY IS MY BLOOD WORK ALWAYS GOOD?? WHY ARE MY COLONOSCOPIES SHOWING TERRIBLE RESULTS?? Is there some allergy?? Lactose diet has been tried. ***A histamine allergy maybe???*** I had another colonoscopy a few days ago. CMV was negative, and significant inflammation was present. The Terminal Ileum was not inflamed, however, consistent with CD, my colon was severely inflamed in patches. I am on high doses of IV prednisone and doing much better. The doctors would like to re-evaluate me in 4 days to see if the IV prednisone works or whether surgical removal of the colon will be necessary. Reading this thread has made me think... WHAT ABOUT *****Mastocytic enterocolitis*****!!!??? :ybatty: It seems like it fits!!! I'm going to discuss this seriously with the doctors in the morning. I may have missed minor info, but you should be able to understand the gist. Any comments/questions are welcomed!! I AM DESPERATE.

Welcome to the forum, I am so sorry to hear all that you have gone through. You can ask the GI to have your biopsies from your recent colonoscopy stained for mast cells.

I'm going to tag My Little Penguin as she has had her child's biopsies stained for mast cells and has done some research on the subject.

my little penguin

Staff member
WElcome
SOrry you are having such issues with treatment.

Here are some papers to read:
http://ainotes.wikispaces.com/Mast+Cell+Disorders

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346686/
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2012/950582/
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925443911000718

a good one:
http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~williams/mast_cell_activation_2011.pdf
http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/328760
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/E-Journal/WJGv13i22.pdf#page=10

old biopsy slides can be stained for mast cells
requires a special stain-
papers above go into that.
histamine blockers - H1 and H2 are often needed with a mast cell stabilizer in some.
this is different than mastocytosis
MAst cell activation syndrome is harder to diagnosis
hope the papers help
PM if your parents have questions.

I have never had my mast cells stained for. The doctor ordered my biopsies from 6 days ago to be stained for them. Hope something shows up!!! :poop:

my little penguin

Staff member
Good luck!!!
Be aware that general IBD will cause some mast cells to be present.
The pathologist should be aware of what would be an excessive amount.
IF not have them reread.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Jacob, sounds like you are getting good advice from MLP. She's great to have around! Sorry you've had such a tough go of it!