• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diet for Peri-anal symptoms?

I know some people here have had success limiting their Crohn's symptoms using different diets, but I was curious to see whether anyone has been able to clear up problems like fistulas, anal fissures, abscesses and skin tags using just a diet.

My personal experience has been that I can definitely make things worse by eating certain foods, but I've never felt better because of eating anything specific. I have not, however, tried any of the restrictive diets such as SCD or juicing or anything.

KWalker

I have...kind of. This is just my experience and I am in no way a doctor or anything. I noticed that my main problem with abscesses was that mine got irritated when I had diarrhea. After I started my diet (SCD) my diarrhea completely stopped and as I was going significantly less, my abscess wasn't getting as irritated and although it's not completely gone yet, the size has reduced dramatically.

I've used Cipro and Flagyl which were very effective as well but I found personally they only worked while I was on them and then once the prescription ran out the abscess came right back.

Do you currently have diarrhea? I was always interested to determine whether there was a link between abscess severity and diarrhea

I've never been able to clear anything up with diet alone, but it certainly reduced symptoms. I avoid anything gritty, nuts, seeds, corn, etc. Spicy foods also a big no no.