• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why the love for Calmoseptine?

nogutsnoglory

I know many people here love Calmoseptine. I use it too but it's only 20% zinc oxide while some of the others are 40%. I still find Calmoseptine works better than the others. What is it about this thing? Makes such a mess in my underwear though!!

Calmoseptine has menthol and lanolin in it too, which I think helps in addition to the zinc. Desitin has 40% zinc and lanolin but no menthol. It does have cod liver oil though!

I don't think it is in the main ingredients for either, but I'm pretty sure it is in the additional ingredients. It is a common skin protectant. Lanolin is commonly used by breast feeding moms to soothe nipple irritation. It comes from sheep! It waterproofs and protects their wool, but the lanolin is removed when the wool is processed into yarn and such. You can relanolize wool stuff to make it more water resistant. (Sorry, knitting geek here!)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Lanolin is listed under inactive ingredients. I haven't actually gotten to try it yet but I've used another kind and agree that these creams do make a mess. :p Better a mess than a burn though.

nogutsnoglory

Jennifer you haven't seen a mess till you try Calmoseptine. This is worse than the rest and the stains don't always come out but I agree better than a painful bum.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I agree with 2thFairy on the peppermint patty thing. My bottom feels, for lack of a better word, "minty" when I apply Calmo. :D It's great stuff and feels so cooling and soothing and nice.

NGNG, how much are you applying that it's making such a mess? I only ever put a little dab on and it doesn't make a mess for me. I dab it on as needed and before every workout & before I walk my dog (don't want a sweaty chafing booty!) and I've never had a bad mess from it. My hubby uses it too sometimes (even though he's perfectly healthy), and I do all our laundry and I've never noticed a mess in his boxers either.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I would say try using less, and try re-applying it every time you go. When I'm feeling sore, that's what I do. I feel like when I wipe, I wipe most of it off, so I just automatically re-apply a little bit each time I go. Sometimes I use it as a preventative too, I'll put it on when I'm only feeling a tiny bit sore, not because I really need it but just so that things don't get any worse.

I guess you could try using some type of liner for your underwear too if the mess continues to be an issue. I tried the vitamin E treatment once when I had bad hemorrhoids (you take a vitamin E gel capsule, poke a hole in one end with a pin, and squeeze the innards of the capsule directly onto your hemmie) and that was super messy so I had to wear pads and I did ruin a few pairs of underwear and even one pair of pants doing that. I don't think the vitamin E did much for my hemmie either so I ruined some clothes for no reason.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Best to use sparingly and as often as needed ngng. The ointment in contact with the skin is the only bit that will do any good so excess is a waste. You will also get better results with an ointment like this if you wipe all the old off before applying a fresh lot, old ointment will only act as a barrier to the new.

Dusty. :)