• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has Anyone Switched from Remicade to Humira?

Hi all,

I have was diagnosed with Crohn's about 4 years ago. I have been on many medications in the past 4 years to get my disease under control. I am in process of making a switch from Remicade to Humira. Has anyone else done the same? My main reason was for the convenience (can do it myself at home). I have been a nurse for 26 years and work in a surgery/endoscopy unit. Isn't that convenient? : )

Hi dpinto. I'm glad you found us here.Welcome.

I have not made the switch from Remicade to Humira, so I am not much good for advice in that department. I just wanted you to know we are here. I am sure somebody who has made that switch will come along.

I just recently switched from Remicade to Humira due to med induced lupus. The Humira has worked for the lupus (which was so much worse than Crohn's could ever be and I know that's saying something) but my crohn's is back. So I've been put on Entocort for the next few weeks.

I miss doing Remicade because it was a solid two hours that I had to myself where I could watch whatever I wanted on tv and someone was waiting on me. I called it "the spa".

The shots aren't too bad once you get used to them.

I didn't directly switch from Remicade to Humira as I was on Remicade way back in the day (when it first came out) and I started on Humira a couple years ago. I prefered Humira because I didn't have to sit in the hospital for four hours, and I didn't have the horrible reaction, but sadly neither of them really did anything to help me.

I'm on Cimzia now. I did make the jump directly from Humira to Cimzia, and that was kind of rough. The Humira shot is a pen, so while it really stings while it's going in, it's over quickly. The Cimzia shots are actual syringes with fairly big needles, and the med is really thick - like cold molasses - and really hurts.

All in all they're very similar meds, it's just finding the one that works for you.

Hey DPinto,
I made the switch, and I second what Silvermander said. Humira isn't bad, especially compared to Cimzia (though I'm not here to scare you off Cimzia; it has its place.)

You just need to know that these drugs are basically cousins of each other, each more refined than the last. When my doctor switched me to Humira from Remicade he told me brightly, "Well, this one's mostly human!" (I said, "Oh? What was Remicade?"
And he went, "Mouse." <3 doctor social skills.) So, uh, take that to heart?

The thing is, because they're all cousins, with each drug you run the risk of the subsequent drug being less effective. This means if you developed antibodies to Remicade, your body may do the same thing to the Humira, the Cimzia, etc. This definitely happened to me: Mous-icade worked great until I developed antibodies; Humira worked reasonably well until it stopped (presumably antibodies), and Cimzia never worked (though my doctor kept shooting me up for that sweet, sweet copay.)

Don't let me dissuade you! It may work GREAT for you and I hope it does. It is certainly more convenient.

I have been on Humira for 2 years now. Since I started it, colonoscopies have shown the inflammation has disappeared. I am technically in remission, but the bouts of "D" are still here. Humira has done a decent job, but I needed an assist from Budesonide (Entocort) for it to begin getting the Crohn's knocked back. I believe it is a good med. Works for me.

Thanks for all the feedback! I was on Remicade for over 2 years and I have to say my last colonoscopy (2 weeks ago) was the best that my colon has looked since this all began. So it worked for me, but as I mentioned, the convenience factor is why I am changing. I took my script to the pharmacy yesterday, so next week I will start.

I have recently switched GI docs. He ordered many tests to see exactly where I am at this point. Colonoscopy, Pill Cam, DEXA scan, and lab work all done recently. Even though the colonoscopy looked the best it has ever, every biopsy showed various levels of colitis. That was a bummer to learn. The PillCam showed no inflammation but for some reason was stalled for 2 hours in my ileum. Of course, being the nurse that I am I had to research the possible causes. I see my doc on Monday and wouldn't be surprised if there is another test in my near future.