• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight Gain or Weight Loss (after being diagnosed with CD)

How is your weight now in comparison to before having Crohn's symptoms?

• Low Weight

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • High Weight

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Fluctuation Weight

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Did not change

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Obviously before we all were being diagnosed with Crohn's we all noticed that we have dramatic unexplainable weight loss. How about after being diagnosed with Crohn's. Regardless of your treatments, medications, and surgeries. In general what did you notice about your weight?

Did you stay at a low weight?
Did you stay at a higher weight?
Did your weight fluctuate between being low sometimes and sometimes high?

Try comparing your weight from before you even had your Crohn's symptoms to the weight you have now.

Lets keep this post/poll going. Talk about your weight how it increased or decreased in your Crohn's 'adventure'.

I've actually gained about 40 pounds. But they tell me its because of all the steriods. I've been in the hospital 4 times with steriods through my IV's 3 times a day, and when I'm at home I take Prednisone daily. It was 40mg but now its 30mg. The swelling I have in my stomach, face and extemeties is crazy. I wish I could lose this weight!

I originally lost 40 pounds, then had fluctuations of about 10 pounds for 20 years or so. Now that I am (knock on wood) in remission, I have gotten back almost all of my weight and at a really good weight for my height. Now if I can get the joints to co-operate, I just might get back to being well-built!

I never had any unexplained weight loss prior to be diagnosed.

I've also put on 5kg since being diagnosed, but that's more likely as a result of all the increased amount of bad food that I am eating now.

I lost about 40 pounds as I was being diagnosed for Crohn's. This was in the course of 4 months, but also could've been long and I just didn't notice it. Now I've been on Budesonide for about a week and half and weight hasn't changed. I dont mind it as much, because I used to be overweight.

I actually was down 25 lbs when I was in an active cycle of Crohn's. After going into remission, I started gaining weight. Later on I started on Apriso and have gained an extra 20 lbs. Has anyone had weight gain with Apriso?

I'm not sure about Apriso, but apparently most of the medications (capsule, pill, tablet forms) treatment always have the side effect of weight gain. Its been about a week and a half on Budesonide, but I haven't experienced any weight gain.

In my pre crohns days I had managed to gain about 12 kg of muscle by going to the gym (over the course of about 2 years).

Then crohns came and it was all gone within a month and a half. By the time i was diagnosed I had gone from my peak weight of 69kg to about 55kg. Now i sit around 58kg but without the energy or eating ability to lift weights and get any of that muscle back. Feels bad being the same skinny little runt I used to be.

I've worked as a Fitness Advisor for a few years at the gym (3 years ago, then became a web developer) and I specialize in natural nutrition and food. Im looking forward opening up a website that would be giving a fitness and nutrition plan to people that suits them. Obviously nothing will be guaranteed but something is better then nothing

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Not sure how to answer the poll. Comparing a 9 year old to a 31 year old in terms of weight doesn't seem like it would be too helpful or accurate. So I voted with just how my weight is now, it tends to fluctuate which is fairly normal for my current age.

Not sure how to answer the poll. Comparing a 9 year old to a 31 year old in terms of weight doesn't seem like it would be too helpful or accurate. So I voted with just how my weight is now, it tends to fluctuate which is fairly normal for my current age.
I think you chose the most reasonable answer. Jennifer, can you please message me. I wanted to talk to you about something important.

Wow these poll stats can really show a lot. Especially for newly diagnosed, it gives them some thing to be more clear about. Great job everyone!

I think it depends where the CD is located (mine is colonic)
I've always struggled with my weight (generally plump!!)
Just prior to diagnosis I was trying to lose weight(BMI around 25)
Given the diagnosis, a course of prednisolone undid all my hard work
5 years later, BMI is still 25-26 (with a lot of hard work, off prednisone)

HD

I find it very wierd that some people actually voted for "did not change". Its hard for your weight not to move at all. Im guessing those people diagnosed there Crohns at a early time. Any other ideas?

Each time I was in the hospital w/ a obstruction+flare up I lost about 25lbs (and I'm already skinny). I have since gained it back + a little more on Humira.

I lost weight, about 40 lbs, over the 4 years I wasn't diagnosed, and another 20 lbs in the last few months. I was official CD in 12/13. Always was chubby too, but not now. I'm on asulfasine, 6MP, b/p meds, pain prn. I just tapered off prednisone. I always have a weird taste in my mouth and smell it too. Crazy, huh?

When I was first diagnosed I was 54kgs (119lbs) at 6'3 tall.

My weight has fluctuated a lot between 70-83kg up until about November last year. Very mentally taxing. But since I decided to put the foot down since starting Humira. Take creatine, protein shakes, eat like a horse and hitting the gym I am now up to 97kgs (213lbs). I have gained 50lbs in 4 months. I still look lean and lanky but it's going in the right direction.

Over the course of 15 years and now into my 50's with some fluctuation due to active disease, overall, I have gained approx. 20 lbs. I can't really blame the disease though, I think more likely age, menopause etc. I always lose about 10 lbs with each flare, ( to me it's the silver lining of this disease) bit joyful prednisone puts it back ( and then some) in a big hurry.

I got diagnosed with Crohn's on 4th of February and now im in my second week of Budesonide and my stool is still diarrheah and sometimes soft. Is that what they consider "working"? My weight is still low as well.

Lost 20 lbs in a week and then 20 more over the next 6 months. Eating enough to 'maintain' a workable weight is a daily struggle. (Current diagnosis- 'probable' Crohn's)

I've always been small and had a fast metabolism (my healthy weight before my diagnosis was 105 lbs), but when the disease is active, I always lose weight. A lot of it. I've been down to 76 lbs on two separate occasions, which is super hard to recover from, and basically requires a total body rebuilding. I've also had my weight get as high as 111 lbs on Humira, but that was before I was pregnant (because of Crohn's, I actually lost weight while pregnant.) Now, I'm about 90 lbs and trying like hell to put on some weight, but it's really hard while breastfeeding. All of my nutrients are being taken from me!