• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flex sigmoidoscopy question having it at 1pm today, scared

I am sched for a flex sigmoidoscopy today at 1pm, anyone ever have this done? What should I expect and they told me no sedation so I am pretty scared! Any advise or experience would be so very helpful for my nerves good Or bad!

Thank you so much in advance, I truly appreciate all of you and whatever you can share!

Xo
Michele

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I've had a couple. Are you in a flare at this moment? If not, this might be the reason why no sedation is being used. The best description is this one I'm giving to you. From what I remember, it is a bit uncomfortable. But, you shouldn't be in any pain if I remember right. As with any procedure, I'd bring someone to drive you if possible even if you're not being sedated. You might be a bit tired afterwards, so taking the day off might be a good idea. Good luck and please keep us updated on how things go for you.

http://www.medicinenet.com/flexible_sigmoidoscopy/article.htm

My GI is doing the procedure as I have been having a lot of rectal pain, but I don't think I am flaring, thank you! I will try to calm down, I just remember my first colo and they gave me conscious sedation and I woke up aNd felt everything, but at that time I was in a major major flare 25cm of my terminal ileum~ so, I was pretty sick and not many days later was hospitalized for 9 days with pain control and steroids. I went down to 94lbs and now I can't loose a pound! Grrr. I am babbling (get like that when I get nervous) Again, thank you with all my heart
Michele

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I can't remember at this moment. But, I think I may have had that very test last year. I do remember that my GI decided to sedate me because I was in so much pain already. I'd been in a 2 year long flare and he didn't want me in anymore discomfort.

Best thing to do is to let them know your concerns ahead of time. If they know that, they'll be able to help you easier. I'm sure you'll do just fine! Lisa :hug:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have had them done with no sedation, not the most comfortable experience but not unbearable. I was flaring the last time I had one done years ago....

Good luck today, don't be afraid to voice your concerns to the doctor!

scottsma

I had no problems,but wasn't flaring.I was able to see my insides on the screen,and they explained everything to me as it was happening.It's a lot easier than a colonoscopy.Best wishes.It will soon be over.

First of all, thank you to each of you! You eased my fear more than you know! I called my GI first thing in the am and stated how scared I was and if she would consider some sedation or at least something to calm my nerves, she was more than willing and did give me mild sedation, I only felt pain twice where I am hurting all ready~. She confirmed that everything looks good, crohns had not reached my rectum and there were no abnormalities! Yay!!! She believes I get so backed up that it is putting pressure there and that is what I am feeling and I have some "bruising". Which can also cause my pain! So we switched to a different laxative in hopes that will help. I am to try it for 2 weeks and then let her know how I feel and what the results were (keeping a record). Fingers crossed!
All in all I was releaved I lucked out this time :)

Thank you all for your input, what would I do without you!!

Xo
Michele