• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Allergic Reaction to Humira

I just received my first 4 doses of Humira on Friday. About 30 minutes after the 4th dose, my chest tightened and then I felt a burning in my chest and throat. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Last edited:

theOcean

That sounds like it may have been an allergic reaction. Call your provider to report it (they like to know about it) and also tell your GI to see what they think.

Yes, do call. Those are the symptoms they warned my daughter about while on humira. Are the symptoms past? Did you take benadryl?

Yes, the symptoms passed within 10 minutes. My eyes began to burn Friday evening and all day on Saturday. That too has passed. I plan to contact my GI in the morning to confirm he wants me to have my 2nd dose in 2 weeks. I did not have Benadryl, but will definitely get some. I was thinking of also asking the doctor for an epi pen.

Good idea. Also check your anti-adalimumab antibody & adalimumab level. Humira (adalimumab) has a much lower allergy percentage than Remicade, but still absolutely you can be allergic to it!

Keep us posted with how you do.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS had a skin prick test with humira after hive near the injection site .
He had two allergic reactions to remicade plus anaphylaxis to other things.
He passed his spt and still gets humira now just with Zyrtec prior .
Good luck

When I first started Humira after the third or fourth dose I started getting a large hot/itchy/swollen area about 6" around the injection site which was getting worse each time. They got me to take antihistamine before injecting which improved things and the problem seemed to improve over time now I don't bother with the antihistamine at all and sometimes get a small patch, maybe an inch or two.

I guess as the Humira starts to take effect on your immune system it would begin to supress the immune response against itself which might explain why the reaction decreased with time?

Well, I am definitely allergic. I took my 2nd and 3rd doses at the allergist office. Each time was worst than the other. My last dose landed me in the ER. My reaction was still chest pain and not being able to swallow. I will be seeing my GI today to come up with another plan. Thank you for the support everyone!

That was my kids reaction to Remicade & got her in the ER. Having her react to a treatment that is supposed to make her better really scared me but now I know what to look for. I hope the next treatment plan helps you find remission!