• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about remicaid, 6-mp and azathioprine

My doctor wants to start me on Remicaid and 6-mp. I have previously had two allergic reactions twice (separate occasions) trying to take azathioprine which I understand is converted to 6-mp by the liver. Does anyone know from personal experience if I will have an allergic reaction to 6-mp? Also, I am starting remicaid on Tuesday, should I be starting 6-mp first?

i would think it is likely you could also be allergic to the 6mp. I would not want to start the drugs at the same exact time as then you would not know which drug you are truly allergic to, should you have a reaction. Ask your Doctor though.

Hello msc5267 and welcome :)

I don't have any personal experience of what you are asking.....yet. But I was thinking the same thing as I am going through the exact same treatment as you, even down to the day! lol I too had an allergic reaction to Azathioprine so was told to stop it last Thursday. I will start Remicade tomorrow and will be starting 6-MP sometime this week although I'm not sure when.

On a thread I posted two weeks ago re Azathioprine causing me to throw up (and then later causing my urine to turn reddy/brown, yellowing of my eyes, intense itching of the skin and disorientation) some of the lovely ladies and men on here explained that they too had reactions to aza, then tried 6-MP and had the same reaction. But I'm sure there are also just as many who have not been able to tolerate aza but have been perfectly fine with 6-MP. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we are part of the group who can tolerate it :)

Good luck for Tuesday

Soybean xx

I had a severe reaction to 6-MP (drug fever, allergic reaction) which went away after discontinuing. A subsequent challenge 10 days later brought back the sever symptoms within hours so I no longer use it. Terrible pain in the side of my face (thought it was sinus infection), fever, nausea. You can search for my other posts on 6MP if you want more details :).