• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Urgency

Hi
I am new to this forum having never used one before even though I have had crohns of small bowel for 18 years and 4 operations later (as well as other ops for complications)
The problem I am experiencing now is uncontrolled urgency. Never had this before but seem to be suffering all the time these days. Catches me when I am out and about, in the house, anywhere really and not always after food. I was wondering if it is down to the mechanics of the bowel or is is more inflammation related. Trouble is, Im not in any pain with it. Anyone share this troublesome problem? I would love to hear your thoughts before I complain to the medics.

Hi HugoDazzle, Sounds possibly inflammation related. As mario says there are meds like Loperamide that can give you a degree of control but you need to find out what is the route cause. Even one small area of inflammation can give you the urgency you describe. However just to point out that after surgery I get floods of diarrhea, also one particular surgery,a laperotomy, caused me no end of trouble with urgency for years.
Hope this helps, cant see where you are based but if your UK have you thought about joining NACC who will provide with a key that unlocks those locked public toilets & as I recall a Cant Wait Card.
Hope this helps & best of luck, its horrible being out & constantly worrying about where the nearest toilet is.
Rgds
Grant

Tanks for that. I currently take Humira, B12 jabs and pain killers. I have been on Azathioprine in the past and also had a bad reaction in the form of lupus when I took Infliximab. Im also taking Gabapentin for arthritis. I don't know, the urgency just feels different somehow, like it could be overflow as opposed to diarrhoea. It sounds crazy I know that I think there's a difference. I have had surgery for terrible adhesions and not sure now whether its down to this or the crohns. Not sure. You would think that I have had the dreaded disease for so long that I would know it inside and out. lol

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It sounds like you may have diarrhoea due to an inability to absorb bile salts???

How much small bowel have you had removed or has scarring?

My daughter suffered with chronic diarrhoea following surgery but now has it well controlled using psyllium husks. There is also prescription medication available called Questran. They both work the same way in that they absorb excess bile salts in the small bowel and so bulk up your stool.

Dusty. xxx

Thanks, I have taken questren in the past. What you said makes sense. I have had a right hemicolectomy followed by 2 small bowel resections and then a strictureplasty and adhesions op last year. I think is could be the bile salts you know because it burns my rectum and anus. I will go back on the questran and see if it helps. Hope it don't constipate me. Thanks for your advise.