• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sleep issues and Crohn's Disease

Aaaahhh I cannot sleep. It is 3 in the morning and I still cannot sleep my anxiety is tops rights now and I am just freaking out.

Jeff

R

ReeRee

I hate to hear you can't sleep. I have insomnia myself so I understand the frustration. Anything I can do? Keep you company? Come bonk you in the head to knock you out?

;)

R

Rob17870

For the past week I have awakened at about 4AM every morning and cant get back to sleep till late afternoon and when I fall alseep then i sleep for the rest of the day it seems. Has anyone else expierienced these sleep problems? How did you fix it?

cookey

Mama Crohnie
It's extremely difficult to sleep Rob, especially if you're in pain. I did have many sleepless nights, for me my method for trying to resolve the problem, was to lie on my tummy and rock back and forth to ease the pain, and eventually I would fall asleep. It didn't always work, of course. Other then that, I wish I could give you a good cure for sleeping. If you're not in pain..and just can't sleep, I believe you told me Rob, that you are taking Prednisone...If they are weaning you off the drug, this is most likely causing sleepless nights for you. I can't stress enough, how powerful Prednisone really is..and what the long term effects are. I really suggest maybe looking into an alternative drug. Some of us can tolerate Prednisone better then others,...unless of course you have been taking it for as long as I, or some of the other members here. I know it's frustrating beyond belief Rob, nobody likes to lose sleep.

It is weird but I experience no pain but still cannot sleep. I just get extremely bad anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Celexa a while back but I was acting extremely weird and could not sleep because I was just really hyped up. Now I am off of it and the anxiety and depression all come back.

J
P.S. I got to sleep finally at around 4 in the morning

R

ReeRee

Jeff, ask your doc to let you try Elavil. It's a mild antidepressant and it helps you sleep and helps with pain too. I've been taking it forever and I love it. Also, my doc just prescribed Lunesta for me about 2 months ago and so far I like it alot. I have terrible insomnia, partly because of my anxiety disorder, partly because of the methotrexate. I wish I had more advice for you, but I haven't found the magic cure for sleeplessness either. You'll notice that I sometimes post at 3 and 4 AM..lol.

Thanks I am checkin Elavil out right now. I have never heard of that one. But I guess I have only heard of the strongest meds.

Thanks again

Jeff

R

Rob17870

cookey said:
It's extremely difficult to sleep Rob, especially if you're in pain. I did have many sleepless nights, for me my method for trying to resolve the problem, was to lie on my tummy and rock back and forth to ease the pain, and eventually I would fall asleep. It didn't always work, of course. Other then that, I wish I could give you a good cure for sleeping. If you're not in pain..and just can't sleep, I believe you told me Rob, that you are taking Prednisone...If they are weaning you off the drug, this is most likely causing sleepless nights for you. I can't stress enough, how powerful Prednisone really is..and what the long term effects are. I really suggest maybe looking into an alternative drug. Some of us can tolerate Prednisone better then others,...unless of course you have been taking it for as long as I, or some of the other members here. I know it's frustrating beyond belief Rob, nobody likes to lose sleep.
Ive actully been off pred for about 4 months. Sorry if i was unclear in my message cookey. As for trying to sleep with pain I know that it is nearly impossible to sleep. In one hospital visit my doctor gave me a really strong sleep aid but the only thing it did was make me groggy for like 3 days, I was like a zombie.

J

jyarmo

Yeah Rob, that's the problem I have too. I find that sleep medication is more problem than it's worth. You might fall alseep but you feel like crap afterwards! Another thing I used to have was that when I felt really tired, my Crohn's would act up preventing myself from being able to sleep!

I'm sorry I don't have any useful tips for you, but hopefully you figure something out!

S

Sparrow

I use to have problems with sleeping and be up till like 4 or 5 am just cause of the prednisone but now that i'm down to 15mg i looove to sleep and sleep and probably sleep way to much! ;) In fact I'm gonna go have a nap right now! again thanks for the invite to the site, great forums:)

S

Sparrow

lol and it was a good sleep too:p
all the sleepless people so jealous!:D jk
anyway get some sleeping meds or when feeling sick take a gravol, knocks me right out.