• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Expenses

Hey everyone :)
I'm from Israel and I wondered how much expenses people with stoma around the world has.

Here is Israel everyone got a basic medical insurance. It's an obligation and every citizen has one. it's pretty cheap- usually around 5% from your paycheck. With this basic insurance you get actually all you need... you can also upgrade your insurance in a low cost and get more stuff but most of them not needed.

anyways, here with the basic insurance you get all your stoma supply for free. you can choose between Holister, Convotec and Coloplast or mix between them. you can order how much you want to without any limit... only thing that costs here is special stuff like Diamonds.

So, how it works in your country? :)

(Sorry about any grammar mistakes, english isn't my native language)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I don't have a stoma but if I did all of my supplies would be free since I have Medi-Cal but most insurance companies in the US aren't free so people will have a copay and each insurance has a different copay. Some people don't even have insurance and do their best paying out of pocket or don't get the things they need at all.

If you have a permanent ostomy, everything in the UK is free on prescription. Usually prescriptions for medications supplies are £7 something each, but after my operation I am now entitled to free prescriptions for life.

I just phone a company and tell them what I need, then they get the prescription from my DR and deliver the stuff to me for free.

Plus healthcare is free here anyway. Love the NHS!

I pay $50 per year to the stoma association. All supplies are then free - paid for by the government. The supply is very generous. Stoma nurse usually guides selection - but you can pretty much choose what you want. The stoma association also suggests that you consult with the stoma nurse before changing to ensure the changes you make will best meet your needs and to ensure suppies aren't wasted.

I'm in the United States and am very fortunate in that my particular insurance company pays for my stoma supplies without a co-pay and without a limit on what I use (thus far). Prescription medication, though, I do have a co-pay, but not for stoma supplies.