• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Famous people with Crohn's

I have never heard of anyone famous or any celebrities with Crohn's Disease. I was wondering if maybe you people have know of someone with it? It would be interesting to find out someone has this and is living in the public eye without anyone knowing what they have to go through.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I know John F Kennedy was diagnosed with Colitis, but I really do not know of anyone currently living (and famous) with it.

D

doubledown

The lead singer of Pearl Jam has Crohn's. His name is Mike McCready. I think he did a benefit of some sort for it a while ago.

Well it seems like a google search came up with a site of some other famous people. It is not surprising to me that there are not too many current famous people that I recognized who have Crohn's Disease.

D

danielle

Eddie Vedder is the lead singer, but I've also heard Mike McCready lead guitarist of Pearl Jam has Crohn's. Sorry, being from the Seattle-area, I had to correct that. I also heard that Shannon Daugherty has it. I totally understand her attitude problem now.

J

jyarmo

danielle beat me to the correction! :D

I don't know any names off the top of my head, but be careful guys! If you aren't 100% sure that someone has Crohn's, saying that they do could get you in trouble for slander!

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Mary Ann Mobley, some of you may not know her. She is an actress, as well as former Miss U.S.A., back in the day.
Singer ~ Anastacia has Crohns
David Garrad (NFL quarterback) Crohns
Mike McCready (Pearl Jam guitarist) Crohns

M

Melly

Someone related to our lovely Prez George is.. his cousin or something? His mom has been on tv talking about it..

R

ReeRee

Yep, Mike McCready has Crohn's. And yep, I remember Mary Ann Mobley. She was Grand Marshall of our local Mardi Gras parade one year.

Just a little pic I had added the words to. Feel free to snag it if ya want. Just save it to your pc first and please don't hotlink it and use up all my bandwidth....LOL!!! I love him. I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan.

Kelsey Grammers wife has Crohn's, and isn't Kelsey Grammer and his wife both spokespeople for CCFA?

E

eastcoastsurfer

funny story, my mom actually works for a guy who is good friends with the owners of the jacksonville jaguars. The owners were able to get David Garrard (backup quarterback who has Crohn's) to send me an autographed jersey, and he wrote me a two page letter! we've sent a few back and forth, he's a great guy.

http://www.ccfa.org/about/news/garrard

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
That is really cool eastcoastsurfer. Hopefully more people have been made aware of Crohn's Disease and what it entails after seeing David Garrard. Are you actively following his career at all? Do you know how his career is going?

cookey

Mama Crohnie
I'm not sure Ree, but I seem to remember another celebrity who is a spokes person for Crohns, who I won't mention...cause I ain't sure. Check this out all, I'm really shocked by this story, it's the first time I've heard about this. Has anybody else? Or do I just not get out of my cage to often? ;) Don't answer that, lol.

Very interesting, I work for CCFC...and have never heard of this, hmmm!!
http://www.crohns.org/

R

ReeRee

Yeah, I've read that one before. See? I told you milk was bad. They say the MAP infection in cows causes the same symptoms as Crohn's in humans. When I was a wee kid out here in the country, we used to buy our milk fresh from the cow. Maybe there really is a connection. But my sisters don't have it and they drank the same milk, so who knows. It's an interesting theory tho huh?

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi Ree, it sure is...I'm blown away really. I guess I've just been in remission to long or something. I never heard my doctors say anything about it. Then again, doctors rarely say anything.

R

ReeRee

Why how perfectly sweet of you to ask Cookey! I'm doing well this evening. The males in my house have gone to bed and I have the TV, the living room, the remote controls, and the computer ALL to MYSELF.

I may just throw a party...lol.

J

jyarmo

I never heard my doctors say anything about it.
From what I got from that website, the medical community in general does not really support these theory. They are still trying to do more research in order to get the medical community on their side. Of course, this makes is extremly hard for them to get grants/research money in the first place!

I'm very interested in hearing what they continue to come up with. I was never much of a milk drinker, but it only takes one sip to get ill, from what I can tell!

J

Janet

Rolf Benirschke (NFL) has UC. He wrote a book about his story called Alive And Kicking.

R

ReeRee

Sweet! Another book on my list of Must Reads. Thanks Janet!

Any other suggestions?

K

Kossy

I know this for a while that Shannon Doherty. She's commonly known as a "bitch" in every roll she plays.. even off the screen too. Could she just be going through bad steroid rage from prednisone?
Just some wild unsubstanciated speculation for your next chit chat around the office water cooler...

R

Rogue

Haha wow. Now I know why me and Shannen are so much alike on the bitch scale. :p

K

Kate

ReeRee said:
Yeah, I've read that one before. See? I told you milk was bad. They say the MAP infection in cows causes the same symptoms as Crohn's in humans. When I was a wee kid out here in the country, we used to buy our milk fresh from the cow. Maybe there really is a connection. But my sisters don't have it and they drank the same milk, so who knows. It's an interesting theory tho huh?
I mentioned it to my dr who said it was a load of $^#& lol

Umm famous people Have any of you heard of shortland street its a dum nz program that i hate lol but the woman waverly has crohns

J

jyarmo

Kate, does the character has Crohn's, or the actor?

If it's the character that has to be a first! I've never heard of a fictional character on TV/book/movie with Crohn's!

Kurt Cobain, late Nirvana vocalist
Kevin Dineen, former NHL hockey player
Theo Fleury, former NHL hockey player
Source: Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America

K

Kate

jyarmo said:
Kate, does the character has Crohn's, or the actor?

If it's the character that has to be a first! I've never heard of a fictional character on TV/book/movie with Crohn's!
Sorry its the actor

oh another famous preson with waht they belive is IBD is King Auther the Great

S

samantha

i dont know if any of you watch Emmerdale but the actor who plays Cain dingle has cd and his poor mum died from it.
Hi name is Jeff?? cant remember sorry

R

ruthymg

jeff hordley from Emmerdale and Carrie Grant - the singing coach both have crohns

Ruth

R

ruthymg

And the queen mother had a stoma and so does cliff Richard

Ruth

Back when I joined CCFA (I had to let it lapse because I ran out of money to donate) I got a newsletter from them and Mandy Patinkin was in it. Guess he's a supporter of CCFA because of his sister. And I just found:

Paid Notice: Deaths
PATINKIN, MARSHA

PATINKIN--Marsha. On behalf of the board of trustees, volunteers, and employees of the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, we offer our heartfelt condolences to the family of Marsha Patinkin, a treasured member of CCFA's national board and President of our Greater San Diego and Desert Area Chapter. Throughout her life, Marsha fought a valiant battle against Crohn's disease. Although her illness took a severe physical and emotional toll, Marsha never wavered in her resolve to live a rich and productive life. Her dedication, warmth, and inner strength remain a powerful source of inspiration to all of us at CCFA. Marsha was the loving and caring daughter of Doris; the beloved mother of Leslie, Amanda, and Lainie; and the adored sister of Mandy. We extend our deepest sympathies to her family, and hope they will take comfort in the knowledge that her spirit lives on in the memories of the countless people whose lives she touched. Mark Goldman, Chairperson of the Board Eugene A. Kestenbaum, Immediate Past Chairperson Lisa H. Richardson, Chairperson of the Board Emeritus Rodger L. DeRose, President and CEO Irwin M. and Suzanne Rosenthal, William D. and Shelby Modell, and Henry D. Janowitz, M.D., National Co-founders.

Sad. :(