• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story....

T

Trina

I am a 27 year old high school English teacher from the Seattle area. I started to get sick when I was getting my Master's degree in 2000. Unfortunately, it was in a relatively small town with a large retired population. After several visits to the emergency room I was referred to the only GI clinic in the area. They specialized in colon problems of 60 and 70 something year old men and could not figure out what was wrong with me. We did over $70,000 worth of tests and the doctor concluded it was all in my head. "You must be stressed about school" he said. He perscribed me antidepressants which I never took.

As is the way of the Crohn's I felt better for a while and finished school, then moved to Seattle, where I soon got sick again. I found a doctor who promised to find out what was wrong with me. After a few more tests I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2002.

We started out with Pentasa and Prednisone and whatever else claculated up to 22 pills a day with no relief. We decided to try Remicade and I have since been taking it every 8 weeks (approxiamtely two years). I am happy to say I am living virutally pain and symptom free after two/three years of pure hell.

I am hoping to have kids soon, but have some conflicting issues regarding remicade and pregnancy. Would love to hear from anyone who has taken Remicade while pregnant or anyone who just wants to talk about Crohn's.

I am currently teaching high school english in the Seattle area and enjoy hanging out with my dog and husband.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Thanks for sharing all that with us Trina. I am glad that for the most part you are beyond the worst stuff (all in your head.... yeah right!). I hope that those times were not too hard on you and am glad that you are doing so much better right now. Unfortunately this 1st-year university male cannot give you too much advice or information on Remicade and pregnancy, but I am sure some others may have a bit more to add on the subject.

J

jyarmo

Hi Trina!
Thanks for sharing your story. It's great to hear that you have been doing well as of late!
I hope that you can get answers to your questions from someone on the forum!

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi Trina, great to meet you..I'm really happy to hear you're in remission, and pain free. Great stories, even better when you hear...that your fellow Crohnies are feeling well. Good luck Trina, for any future endeavors...if you feel like chatting or sending me a PM, please do...my door is always open.

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Welcome Trina!

Hi Trina and Welcome to the forum! Thank you for sharing your story with us.
I'm glad you've been feeling better recently. Isn't it amazing what some people take for granted?

An English teacher, eh? Good for you! I loved English when I was in school.

Is being a teacher a stressful job (working with all those kids)? I give you and anyone who has Crohn's and manages to keep a job outside of the home, kudos; I never did very well with that myself. :(

I like to joke and tell everyone I'm "allergic to stress." LOL

As far as the being pregnant on Remicade, I can't help you there. I did have two beautiful daughters after being dx with Crohns, but I wasn't taking (and never have taken) Remicade. If you have any general questions about Crohns and pregnancy, I'd be more than happy to talk about that with you (or anything else you might like to chat about). Feel free to email or add me to your buddy list and IM me. :)

Anywhooo...I look forward to getting to know you better!

Be Well!

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL

Trina ... I am sure that you will make a lot of new friends here { count me in } I may not have Crohn's but my husband does and as long as there are sites like this to help us out ... I am here !! So, once again WELCOME & have a good time here ... JUMP RIGHT IN & HAVE FUN !! ;)