• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad reaction to psyllium husks?

E has been doing wonderful. I had this great idea to add psyllium husks to his diet and within 12 hours of having it, he is symptomatic. Has anyone else had this sort of reaction?

in studies some people respond well to psyllium and some people dont. i theorize that it all depends on which type of pathogens you have accumulated that can utilize these fibers.

also, check for an alternate explanation.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I’m sorry to hear that Charleigh. :(

How much did he take and what are his symptoms?

Dusty. xxx

I’m sorry to hear that Charleigh. :(

How much did he take and what are his symptoms?

Dusty. xxx
He was doing great and within about 12 hours of the psyllium husks he started having diarrhea, cramps, and weakness. I didn't expect this at all. I gave him 1 TB in a smoothie. The jar said 1-3 TB so I went on the lower end.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I had really bad cramps & bloating for several days when I overdid the amount of psyllium I was taking - it's possible that 1 tbsp was just too much for him. I would lay off the psyllium for awhile until he's feeling better (give it a few days at least), and if you want to try again, go for a very small amount like 1/2 teaspoon and see if he does okay with that. If so, you can keep him at that amount or gradually & slowly step up the amount of psyllium.

As Kero said, it's possible it was something else he ate that did this to him (or maybe the combo of psyllium + a trigger food could have caused his symptoms) - what other ingredients were in the smoothie? Does he often have smoothies? Does he have a lot of food triggers?

He is on a very strict diet and he often has smoothies. I can't think of anything else that would have been new or a trigger. It could be coincidence for sure. Maybe I will try again later with a much smaller amount. Thanks :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
One tablespoon to start is a large amount Charleigh given that we use it for its opposite intention. :ghug:

As Cat has said, let things settle and start again when all is back to normal for your lad.

As a comparion, my two adult children take a tablespoon, maybe less? This was after some trial and error and they both have bile salt malabsorption diarrhoea.

Let us know how you are getting on and if you decide to give it another go.

Dusty. xxx

I had started using metamucil regularly for about 2 weeks before my first flare landed me in the hospital and my GI told me that he didn't think someone with crohn's should really be taking psyllium husks due to high likelihood of irritation and the combo soluble and insoluble fiber. I was told if I felt like I needed to take it (which I just stay away from it altogether now) to make sure to drink way more water than I usually do...