• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie had nigthmare with Ibuprofen

R

rodentman111

Hi all. I was diagnosed a few years back with mild-moderate CD, and I changed my diet a bit and have been able to manage the flareups.

However... Recently i took large amounts of Ibuprofen... and I got a horrible flareup, with all the worst symptoms.

I am now swearing off Ibuprofen, and am trying to refine my diet a bit.

I will say that it was a very eye-opening and scary situation. I hope it never happens again.

Yikes... thanks for the heads up! Hope you're doing better, sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way. Do you think it was the ibuprofen that triggered your symptoms, or a combination of that and something else?

My doctors have always advised me to take only Tylenol (aceteminophen) if I need it, and steer clear of Ibuprofen and Aspirin.

hi Rodentman, & welcome :)

yes, ibruprofen is one of the nsaids that the docs tell us with stomach issues to steer clear of, another is aspirin.

i'm more or less ok on ibruprofen, if i only take it in moderation, and every so often. if i take too much, i start to feel acid/nausea symptoms.

hopefully you won't get that again, as long as you avoid ibruprofen. i think paracetamol is the kindest painkiller as far as stomachs go.

R

rodentman111

Pen said:
Ouch, Ibuprofen is rough on a healthy body let alone a Crohnie.. dingbat is right, all those she mentioned causes bleeding and you certainly dont need that. Welcome to the forum btw. What diet did you change that you felt helped you? Tylenol maybe your best choice but any pain reliever taken in large quantities are not good. Take care, and glad you are here!
Thanks all.

I took copious amounts of ibuprofen out of frustration with a recent flu virus. 400mg at a time every 4 hours. I'd taken small amounts before, and it had little effect. I was just really stupid.

As far as changing my diet, anything that comes out looking the same way it went in, i have stopped eating. Popcorn was the most painful. No more corn, no more peanuts, carrots.... things like that.

L

LeafyOYT

ok, first off you need to treat the problem not the pain.

Becareful what drugs you take. Some can cause more long term problems than they're worth!

J

JillianB82

I've had good results with a pain reliever called "Ascriptin." It's over-the-counter & it is coated with Malox......very gentle on the stomach. :)

Yeah, ibuprofen is a killer on CD!

My GI has told me to never take it.

Here's a good one....

I went to the ER for a fall down my house steps, ended up witha sprained back.

The ER doc was gonna write me a script for an ibuprofen pain killer.

After I told him I have CD.

He says, 'So, what does that have to do with the pain pills'!!!!!!!

He told me that ibuprofen has no effects on CD.

Then he wouldn't give me anything else for the pain!!!!!

Oh, Yeah! I trust them at the hospital.....(dripping with sarcasm)

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I took Ibuprofen for years. Maybe a decade.

Every morning -- before I even got out of bed. I needed the Ibuprofen just to be able to move. Clock radio alarm went off, my second waking movement would be to woof back an Ibuprofen. I would have to lay back half an hour and wait for it to kick in before I could even put my feet to the floor.

This is all because of a sciatica misdiagnosis.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
ladyB said:
GJG- do you now have sciatica?
Is there anything besides ibuprofen that helped?
Hard to say -- I think it come and goes. Seemed to have a lot to do with my workstation. Once I got a more ergonomic desk, it cleared up somewhat.

Ibruprofen was just about the only thing that helped -- over the counter back pain remedies never did.

I think my current issues have more to do with arthritis.

I may take small amounts of Ibuprofen in the future... but I'm mostly sworn off it now. Tylenol is weaker but it will do the trick.

hmm never herd of that, I used to use ibuprofen all the time( for the fast you can take like 15 and still be totally safe) but I think I built an immunity of something cause it just stopped working so now I use Excedrin migraine which seems to work pretty good