• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What do you eat that causes a problem?

Hey guys i am trying to think about what foods bother me. I know it is going to be the stuff i really like but i have to start thinking about prevention as well as a cure!!!

I really love spicy food, the spicier the better i don't particularly like HOT:ymad: food but anything that kick starts the taste buds. My favourite type of food is Mexican, i could eat it all the time if my partner allowed me. She is starting to understand Crohn's a little more and feels spicy food is a cause for flare ups in general.

What cause's your flare ups if anything?

At the moment I cannot eat anything without having a disasterous reaction. The pain is so unbearable that I'm starting to become phobic of eating again. Plus as soon as I eat it goes straight through anyways. I've never been able to pinpoint flares on any particular things in the past either, despite keeping food diaries.

On the Elemental diet, just drinking the liquid cartons E028, that's probably the only thing that is safe at the moment and atleast it keeps me feeling vaguely alive!

mm start a food journal. I find it very helpful..and only introduce something new every so often so you can give a day or two for reactions to be noticed.

I too am trying to find what triggers problems but lately that seems to be most everything. I tend to eat very little because the pain isn't worth it. Not sure if it is just a coincidence but chinese food has caused problems the last three times I have had it. I'm a HUGE hot food lover which doesn't seem to have as much of an impact as you might think.

It has been a couple of weeks and I am still waiting to see the benefits of taking entocort.:(

Last edited:

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
People react to foods differently just like they react to medications differently. I can eat broccoli, but some of us can't. Some of us handle milk just fine and some of us don't.
Personally, I can't eat beans, onions or apple cider. I am trying to keep away from too much fiber too.

I cannot eat Onions or Malt. Both of these constrict my intestines in a short time.

I can eat hot or spicy foods. They do not bother me. There is also a hypothesis that hot foods causes you intestinal tract to produce more mucous, which is probably what we would want. I don't think that means everyone should eat hot and spicy foods, but if it does not bother you than it should be fine.

I can eat just about anything else.

I can drink Milk but it gives me the runs. I do not drink it because of the MAP bacteria that can be in the Milk.

Dan

mmm too raw of onions definitely dont work with me, but onion rings...they are okay for some reason...:p Raw veggies period aren't a good idea...but steamed....mmmm bring em on. :p

I find that when I'm having issues, my body doesn't like to digest carrots, cooked or raw. My issues have pretty much cleared up by cutting out soda all together and eating yogurt and taking probiotics 3 times a day. I have read that bad bacteria feed on sugar and the high fructose corn syrup in soda is super strong sugar.

P

Procyon

broadwayblondie said:
LETTUCE!!!!!! I can't eat salads. Its so sad, because they are so refreshing and wonderful in the summer months.
Me too! In fact, I seem to have troubles with a lot of vegetables. Especially lettuce and salad veggies.

I do rather like some of the spicier vegetables though. I like peppers, onions, and garlic in moderate amounts. And I love corn on the cob.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Here's what (I think) bothers me:

- Salad/lettuce
- Carrots
- Nuts
- Anything spicy (found that out the hard way - I love spicy fries!)
- Apples
- Watermelon
- Popcorn
- Alcohol

But do you think I'm smart enough to stop eating/drinking these things?! :duh:

I would have to agree with broadwayblonde nuts are a no no, other than that im lucky enough to be able to eat pretty much what takes my fancy

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
For me, preparation of food matters more than the ingredients itself. I avoid anything that is fried or greasy and stick to foods that are grilled or steamed. Spicy is no problem for me but again preparation matters. Mexican is yummy and fine if it's a grilled chicken or shrimp dish with spicy fresh salsa but not good if it's a greasy burrito.

That said, I avoid milk, beer, soda or anything that contains high fructose corn syrup. I'm convinced corn is evil. No processed foods and sugary stuff only in moderation. Tomatoes are a problem (although I cheat and can tolerate tomato sauce in moderation) as are raw apples. Can't do nuts except walnuts for some reason but seem ok with nut butter (almond butter is yummy).

Keeping a diary is a great idea as is consulting a nutrionist.

I avoid:
carrots
salad
onion
nuts / chips
pizza
grilled food, almost all fried food, tough meat.
fibers
dark bread
apple cider for some strange reason.

I can eat everything that is possible to boil tex. sausages and meatloaf Grytten with well-boiled potatoes or rice.
garlic
fish
mushrooms, cucumbers, olives.
apple
white bread with a maximum 2% of fiber
cheese, boiled ham, etc..

I have had Krohn late 2003, but has only started yesterday writing a food diary which all suggest a really good idea to do. can not believe I did not thought about it before.
if you have any good recipes for cooked food, so, please feel free to share with you? :) I will post some good recipes that work well for me and many others too.

J

JillianB82

So far, here is my list:

Salad/lettuce
Popcorn (I think this is the worst one)
Mushrooms
Garlic
Red Hot (I put that sh*t on everything)
Eggs

Just to name a few!

I absolutely can not eat:
Popcorn
Coffee
Alcohol
Spicy Foods
Red Meat
Carbonated beverages
Coconut
Potato Chips

I can tolerate in moderation: (but mostly avoid)
Fried Foods
Mushrooms
Nuts (must chew VERY WELL!!) :)
Milk

Since I am in the middle of a flare, my diet has pretty much been restricted to:
Eggs
Oatmeal
Tea
Avocado
Bananas
Fruit Juice
Salmon
Rice
Brothy soups

Right now absolutely nothing. Yeah for resection. I had my first salad yesterday in what seems like forever, it was wonderful. But I will still always avoid popcorn and corn.

I just had my first ever bad reaction to strawberries...unless I just never realized it before...I think you all jinxed me!

I am currently in remission, but I still can't tolerate milk, ice cream, pepper, raw veggies of any kind and fast food. I find that meat - like steak - also makes me feel bad. Alcohol bothers me too, but I can't resist a glass of wine every once and awhile!