• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Urination and Crohn's

The last couple of days I have had a feeling of pressure on my bladder and I have urinated more frequently. I went to my gp doctor and I had no bladder or urinary tract infection. Could this be related to my crohns or not?

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
im not sure but ivehad this before and hey tested me like 3 different times for a uti but never found anything. but if you use a heating pad on your lower back it helps if its painful for you at all

I've had the same thing... been tested for all kinds of stuff (like enlarged prostate, infection and prostate cancer) but it all came back negative (quite glad about that!)
Had a similar thread a while ago and I think someone suggested it could be pressure on the bladder from having an inflamed bowel. My doctor seemed to think it was a possibility... or maybe she was just humouring me!

I had the same thing starting last year May, it eventually caused bladder fistulas. But is is in fact the inflamed intestine pressuring the bladder. It feels like heavy weight while you orinate, I tend to hold my abdomen on the right side since it feels relief. I suggest you keep an eye on it since it doesnt happen to all cases but in my case it did created fistula in the bladder.

LC

oh my gosh, so weird, i just made a thread about frequent urination before i saw this one.

sorry.

i also experience frequent urination. most often during the night, average 3-4 times i wake up from sleep to go.... then at night in general, i find that i'll go a few times within a short period of time (e.g. tonight at the movies, within 2 hours i had to go pee 3 times).

i also have been wondering if crohn's causes this

however, i have no pain and don't notice any feeling of pressure on my bladder. just the urge to pee, and i go without any problems. also this has been an ongoing thing, been peeing like this for a few years (but seems to be during the time of onset of crohn's), even before being treated with medication for crohn's and even when i've changed my fluid intake.

Last edited:
I've had the same problem since getting diagnosed. I just assumed it was from inflammation pressing against my bladder, but I don't know if that's correct.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
cheeky - just posted a reply to your message on similar thread.

my GI did say that there are links to crohn's and kidney issues. i've had similar peeing problems but it's usually only when i drink a lot.

how do you diagnose a bladder fistula?

Well I'm going back to doctor's tomorrow. I am going to have him check to see if my prostate is enlarged and have him do a PSA test just to make sure to rule out that anything is wrong with my prostate. I am hoping my prostate is fine considering I am only 35 yrs old, but just to make sure I need to do this stuff. I hate going to my doctors office, he never really suggests anything, when I was there a week ago I was the one who had to tell him what I wanted done and I always think of something to ask or say after I leave. I did call my gastro doctor and they told me that the pressure on the bladder could be from inflammation of the intestines, I think she referred to it as "sagging". I referred to it as "annoying". But anyway hopefully the prostate is fine and I will see what happens from there.

Thsi also happened to me . I did all tests and came back negative, and it stayed with me for about 9 months and then stopped on its own!

Went to the doctor today, prostate was fine, not enlarged or anything abnormal. He did give me a prescription for the antibiotic Ciproflaxin (I don't know if that's spelled correctly). I told him about what my gastro doctor said about the "sagging" that could occur when the intestines are inflamed that they could put some pressure on the bladder. He just wanted me to try this antibiotic to see if it does do anything and if it doesn't then he feels it probably is related to my crohn's. I am currently taking Asacol, I don't think there should be a problem taking this antibiotic with it as well. But, that's all I have for now. Thanks for everyone's replies, talk to later.

Last edited:
fenway1971 said:
how do you diagnose a bladder fistula?
the easiest way is to look for stool in your urine. probably hard to spot, but worth looking carfefully if someone suspects they have one. ive never had one, but had a recotvaginal fistula so the were constantly asking me about my bladder too.
also a ct scan might be able to show the tract, or they can do a dye or air test (i think they only do this with you under sedation) to see where the substance exits.

kirkland im glad that everything checked out ok. ive never had issues with urination, so i cant really relate. but i would think that given the fact that inflamed intestines can be felt by pressing on the abdomen you know? then theres enough pressure there for it to push on the bladder.

question for everyone who has this problem:
do you actually have an increased amount of urination coming out? or is it just that you FEEL like you have to go more and so you are in the bathroom more often?
it seems to me that the intestine pushing on the bladder wouldnt actually cause more liquid, right? just the feeling to go?

kello82 said:
the easiest way is to look for stool in your urine. probably hard to spot, but worth looking carfefully if someone suspects they have one. ive never had one, but had a recotvaginal fistula so the were constantly asking me about my bladder too.
also a ct scan might be able to show the tract, or they can do a dye or air test (i think they only do this with you under sedation) to see where the substance exits.

kirkland im glad that everything checked out ok. ive never had issues with urination, so i cant really relate. but i would think that given the fact that inflamed intestines can be felt by pressing on the abdomen you know? then theres enough pressure there for it to push on the bladder.

question for everyone who has this problem:
do you actually have an increased amount of urination coming out? or is it just that you FEEL like you have to go more and so you are in the bathroom more often?
it seems to me that the intestine pushing on the bladder wouldnt actually cause more liquid, right? just the feeling to go?

Correct, I do not have an increased amount of urination, it is just that I feel like I have some in my bladder. Usually it is not constant though, the feeling my come and go and it can also help if I am move around some, like walk or sit in a different position. It's weird.

oh ok. thanks for that, just was curious.

that does sound like a weird feeling. as if we didnt spend enough time in the bathroom already right? how annoying.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Not sure if this is related, but I get the feeling sometimes like I have to pee all the time, even after I just went. I drink cranberry juice all day long, and it goes away by the next day. Even if you tested neg for a UTI, there could be one starting maybe? I don't know. It always feels like I am starting an infection, and then the cranberry clears it up - or maybe it's just t he extra liquid that cleans me out. Worth a try anyways.

My doctor also gave me Cipro. It did nothing. It was hell for 9 months (frequent urination, discomfort in my lower area, etc...); then it suddenly all went away!!!

By the way Cipro is also given for Crohn's, so it may improve your symptoms; just try to take with it a probiotic, or eat yoghurt.

My Butt Hurts said:
Not sure if this is related, but I get the feeling sometimes like I have to pee all the time, even after I just went. I drink cranberry juice all day long, and it goes away by the next day. Even if you tested neg for a UTI, there could be one starting maybe? I don't know. It always feels like I am starting an infection, and then the cranberry clears it up - or maybe it's just t he extra liquid that cleans me out. Worth a try anyways.

Cranberry juice? I guess anything is worth trying at lest once. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if this ciproflaxin does anything if it is indeed the start of an infection. All I know is that from reading alot of posts on this forum is that crohn's affects people in all sorts of weird ways, it's nuts. Again, thanks for the reply!

Mazen said:
My doctor also gave me Cipro. It did nothing. It was hell for 9 months (frequent urination, discomfort in my lower area, etc...); then it suddenly all went away!!!

By the way Cipro is also given for Crohn's, so it may improve your symptoms; just try to take with it a probiotic, or eat yoghurt.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if this cipro works or not. I can try to take it with yogurt, problem is I really hate yogurt. I think it is a texture thing, there are some foods I can't stand just because of the textures. Talk to you later...

kirkland said:
Cranberry juice? I guess anything is worth trying at lest once.
i read in a catalouge about ostomys (i have an ileo but it had info about urostomys in it) that cranberry juice neutralizes alkaline urine.

i henestly have no idea what that means, but i guess the juice does somehow affect the kidneys. youll probably find an explanation of it if you search the web

hits me to...almost like the crohns makes my bladder smaller then it should be...also feeling of having to pee right after I do.... very uncomfortable..... I would say definitely inflammation related