• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicing during symptoms?

My crohns is in the ileum. Recently when I have symptoms I have a lump that protrudes, and I get very gassy. I just started juicing and have yet to try it when my stomach gets this way(which is unusual) just wondering if there's certain veggies to avoid and which I should drink during these times.

Thanks guys!

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Let me know what you think. I mostly follow a Paleo diet but I do take this list into consideration a bit.
Strange, a lot of those foods that are in the clear wreck me, although I haven't tried black coffee. Same goes for the ones that aren't recommended, some of those agree with me.

Now, I just looked up paleo diet, and that certainly looks more like what I try to target eating. So expensive though. Especially as a college student, when I'm at school I'm limited to what to eat. Don't always have time to prepare my own meals. I'm losing weight and I find it impossible to gain anything. My first problem is I started smoking again, slowly, slowly quitting. Any recommendations on putting weight on? I bought a vegan protein mix which is great but haven't been able to eat it for a steady amount of time as I've been in a 3 week flare which stopped for like 4 days now it's back. Really frustrating as I've lost about 15 lbs. so far. Anyways, thanks for your response.

I agree with you on FODMAP list, that's why I pay attention to it but it is by no means my bible.
And I will concede the paleo diet is expensive and time consuming. I've also switched to organic which is very pricey, but for now I'm committed to it. I make a lot of trips to the store and spend a lot of time cooking/prepping. But the results I've had make it easier for me to be committed to it. I work full time, but have no kids (other than my husband ;-)) so my time is kind of my own.
For gaining weight, maybe try almond butter. Or if you tolerate dairy, ice cream. Or roasted nuts if you tolerate them. That is hard for me to relate to, I don't have a problem keeping weight on. The only time I struggled with that was before my resection. And the Paleo diet actually made me lose some weight, which was okay.
What Meds are you on?

I don't juice and haven't tried the diets mentioned (though I have tried similar ones), so my opinion is far from expert, but I'd be cautious experimenting with restrictive diets if you are unhealthily underweight.

One of my doctors suggested I might want to try the FODMAP diet recently, but after looking at it I decided not to - the doctor had been wondering if small bowel bacterial overgrowth was contributing to my symptoms, but it seemed far from clear that that was the case. There is a test to diagnose bacterial overgrowth, but it is not widely available, so the doctor said you can either try the FODMAP diet or try antibiotics, and if things improve, it confirms the diagnosis. Since I'm very underweight and my diet is already restricted because my stoma does not tolerate fibre well, I didn't want to do the diet. I ended up taking masses of antibiotics for another reason, and my bowel symptoms did not improve, so we concluded that bacterial overgrowth was not my problem.

I guess you'd have to consider whether you feel bacterial overgrowth is causing your problems. I recall that it is also claimed that the FODMAP diet can help with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which made me even less convinced that it could help; since Irritable Bowel Syndrome is used to cover a whole load of different symptoms, and likely given to people who actually have some other bowel condition which just hasn't been diagnosed properly, a diet that is supposed to help with it seems dubious to me.

But ultimately radical diets tend to conflict with attempts to gain weight and attempts to spend less money on food, so you'll have to be careful weighing up the potential benefits and costs.

I agree with you on FODMAP list, that's why I pay attention to it but it is by no means my bible.
And I will concede the paleo diet is expensive and time consuming. I've also switched to organic which is very pricey, but for now I'm committed to it. I make a lot of trips to the store and spend a lot of time cooking/prepping. But the results I've had make it easier for me to be committed to it. I work full time, but have no kids (other than my husband ;-)) so my time is kind of my own.
For gaining weight, maybe try almond butter. Or if you tolerate dairy, ice cream. Or roasted nuts if you tolerate them. That is hard for me to relate to, I don't have a problem keeping weight on. The only time I struggled with that was before my resection. And the Paleo diet actually made me lose some weight, which was okay.
What Meds are you on?

I'm not on any meds at the moment. They just located my crohns a few months ago and I haven't been in to see the doctor since I got my blood work. I am scheduled to see him tomorrow though for Meds. I too enjoy preparing my meals and I don't mind spending extra. Just since school started am it's full time, money and time are hard to manage to say the least. I always find myself in a good rhythm and then let myself go. I'm going to start day 1 of smoke free tomorrow. I've got one left for today

My Crohn's is present in my large bowel, through the ileum. The FODMAP list would kill me if I tried it. I experience no problems with wheat and dairy, but I can not tolerate any raw vegetables, any high fibre foods, or brassicas (cooked or raw).

This concerned me, as I was getting sick constantly and had no energy if I ate in a manner that did not bother my Crohn's.

I have added daily shots of wheatgrass, and I juice every day as well. It has completely changed my life! I love juicing with ginger, which calms my tummy. I add apple cider vinegar and l-glutamine to my greens and juice, and that breakfast makes me feel like superwoman! The wheatgrass has all of the amino acids that I need, and I'm getting the raw enzymes that get cooked out of my veggies on a daily basis.

Added benefit to beet juice (although it doesn't fit into the FODMAP diet), is that it aids in lowering blood pressure if consumed regularly. Not a good substitution for BP meds for most people, however.

My Crohn's is present in my large bowel, through the ileum. The FODMAP list would kill me if I tried it. I experience no problems with wheat and dairy, but I can not tolerate any raw vegetables, any high fibre foods, or brassicas (cooked or raw).

This concerned me, as I was getting sick constantly and had no energy if I ate in a manner that did not bother my Crohn's.

I have added daily shots of wheatgrass, and I juice every day as well. It has completely changed my life! I love juicing with ginger, which calms my tummy. I add apple cider vinegar and l-glutamine to my greens and juice, and that breakfast makes me feel like superwoman! The wheatgrass has all of the amino acids that I need, and I'm getting the raw enzymes that get cooked out of my veggies on a daily basis.

Added benefit to beet juice (although it doesn't fit into the FODMAP diet), is that it aids in lowering blood pressure if consumed regularly. Not a good substitution for BP meds for most people, however.
I too can't eat raw veggies at all. I usually stay away from cooked because they have to be practically mush for me to be able to eat and I find it just not worth the risk. I think juicing is going to be the best addition to my life once I am healthy enough to steadily do it. The juicing world is all new to me, though. What exactly is wheatgrass? And is it worth it? I tried spinach and the juice ratio just didn't seem worth it. I find zucchini, green peppers, carrots, ginger are all great. That's all I've had the chance of trying right now. I've read some very insightful information on kale which I will be trying. I also made my own almond butter with a hint of vanilla extract which I'll be doing more of.

and I get very gassy. I just started juicing. just wondering if there's certain veggies to avoid and which I should drink during these times.
It is probably best to experiment yourself as different foods effect different people in different ways.

It is a fascinating subject. A juice is not just a nice drink……..it also has amazing healing properties

But as a general rule cabbage is well-known to make you gassy. And that is the only juice I can think of that will make me gassy.

However, cabbage juice is excellent for both C&UC - so your call on this one. I find cabbage juice excellent but will only drink it when I KNOW for sure the next day I will be staying at home. Sulphur farts anyone! and that is where the name SmellyMelly originated

Beetroot juice is very detoxifying for the liver and may make you feel nauseas if you drink too much too quickly. Some goes for wheatgrass juice; but it is excellent for C&UC so worth the effort.

Celery is a diuretic and will increase the flow of urine but it is also excellent for hangovers and people who need to avoid table salt.

Lettuce is a sedative and so if you are having problems sleeping, a glass of lettuce juice can either help you relax or fall asleep. Since stress is bad for C&UC I find lettuce juice very helpful in times of stress or insomnia

but I'd be cautious experimenting with restrictive diets if you are unhealthily underweight.
I don’t believe that juicing is classed as a restrictive diet - unless of course you planned to do a 90 day juice fast. People who are underweight should not fast for long periods; but a few days will be fine.

A couple of days on juice to rest your bowel are generally recommended for C&UC. You won’t actually lose proper weight or waste away over a few days.

For people with C&UC who do not absorb or digest nutrients from food adequately, then juicing is an absolute lifesaver in terms of getting a wide range of nutrients that you need in an easy to absorb manner.

Alternatively just incorporating juice into your daily life has huge benefits. I drink three cups of vegetable juice every day without fail and the benefits over the past few years have been excellent.

And if I am flaring, then a short juice fast of 7 - 14 days will set me right again.

I don’t believe that juicing is classed as a restrictive diet - unless of course you planned to do a 90 day juice fast. People who are underweight should not fast for long periods; but a few days will be fine.

A couple of days on juice to rest your bowel are generally recommended for C&UC. You won’t actually lose proper weight or waste away over a few days.

For people with C&UC who do not absorb or digest nutrients from food adequately, then juicing is an absolute lifesaver in terms of getting a wide range of nutrients that you need in an easy to absorb manner.

Alternatively just incorporating juice into your daily life has huge benefits. I drink three cups of vegetable juice every day without fail and the benefits over the past few years have been excellent.

And if I am flaring, then a short juice fast of 7 - 14 days will set me right again.

Smelly,
You juice three times/day! Do you actually juice and clean machine 3x/day or juice and save it? And do you use centrifugal or masticating juicer? I've heard one is better if you're going to save/refrigerate juice but I don't remember which.

My comment wasn't specific to juicing - the posts before it had mentioned other diets and the OP's desire to gain weight. I realise juicing (outside of fasting) is an addition to diet, not restrictive. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

I've always been curious about juicing while in relapse. I feel like the fibers in the vegetables will boost my metabolism, making me go to the washroom more often when all I want to do is NOT go.

how does this help you get better?

I've always been curious about juicing while in relapse. I feel like the fibers in the vegetables will boost my metabolism, making me go to the washroom more often when all I want to do is NOT go.

how does this help you get better?
juicing is amazing. It'll give you all the vitamins you lack from not eating raw veggies - without the fibre. I love juicing and suggest you give it a go. It's pricey but there are veggies you can do that's not too expensive. Carrots are my fave.

Smelly, You juice three times/day! Do you actually juice and clean machine 3x/day or juice and save it? And do you use centrifugal or masticating juicer? I've heard one is better if you're going to save/refrigerate juice but I don't remember which.
No I juice twice a day. Once in the morning for breakfast drink where I drink one cup of juice. And once in the evening where I drink two cups of juice. I clean the machine directly after each use. It only takes a few seconds to rinse the juicer parts under running water to clean them. I never save juice. I make and drink everything fresh. It does not take long to make a juice; five minutes tops.

I use a masticating juicer. Yes a masticating juicer needs to be used if you plan to save juice. But since a juice only takes me five minutes to make, I may as well make everything fresh so it tastes better. I have discovered that carrot and/or kale juice settles UC down. When I started drinking carrot and kale juices I disliked them. But did it because it was so utterly excellent for UC. The taste grew on me and now I love them.