• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C

chippiechip

I live in Sothern California and I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in 2001. At the time I was diagnosed I was a freshmen in college and struggling to adapt to my parents divorce. I am sure the stress of college and the pain from my parents divorce caused me to plummet into the worse flair I've ever experienced which is how I became diagnosed. For the next 3 years I struggled with medications ranging from 6MP to Remicade. I had about 5 different GI dr. (Finding the right dr. who will listen to you is KEY).

In time I transferred colleges to Northern Cali and I saw a new GI dr. at Stanford Med. Center. Best Doctors/ Surgeons ever!! I had a resection in 2004. It wasn't easy after that I had a few complications with pneumonia and several abscesses. I was in and out of the hospital for a month after my surgery. I felt like a prisoner who couldn't get out. I would be released during the day and re admitted later that night. The whole experience was awful, but my battles that I have overcome are what make me who I am today. Through all my struggles to stay healthy I have successfully completed college and graduated with a BA in Design Studies from San Jose State University. I have managed to stay healthy and in remission. I still have to watch closely what I eat, but life is good.

Having Crohn's Disease has allowed to me make so many different friends from all over the country. I have been able to locate a few local Crohnies in my area, including my boyfriend, who is the most amazing person. He has overcome a lot in his life with Crohn’s but that is a whole other story that he can share with you :D

Since I am new to this forum please tell me what I can expect from being a member. What kind of things are there to do here? Introduce yourself to me, like I said I love to meet new people from all over!

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi Chippiechip..great name, mine is also chip or chippy. We should get on just fine. Welcome and thank you for sharing your story with us all. You couldn't be more correct when you say finding the right Doctor is the Key. I went through many, before I finally found the right one to stabilize my Crohns. IT's absolutely wonderful that you managed to overcome all odds, and put yourself through college, and still keep a great wonderful frame of mind.

The people on Crohnsforum, are all the best bunch and crew one could ever ask for. We are all here to support you in any way we can. Browse around, you can post pictures of yourself, play forum games, as well as chat. Please feel free to ask anyone anything, i"m sure they will be more then happy to help. My name is Deb..I am from Canada, PM me anytime with any concerns..or just to say hello.
Enjoy your time here..and I hope you stay well.

C

chippiechip

Thanks Deb for the reply :) I have a quick question I have been trying to get an avatar but it keeps failing to laod. I've trid to load one from photobucket using the URL and I've tried loading one from a file off my computer. Neither worked. Do you know what size file yours is? Maybe that will help me. I'll keep trying though...

Oh I guess it worked LOL that's odd that I was getting a faild notice. Oh well... I guess I figured it out ;)

Last edited:

cookey

Mama Crohnie
lol, that happened to me as well Chippie..but I see you did get it. Great!! Anything else you would like to know...I'm a bellow away.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the board Chippie! I am glad that you have now achieved remission. It is great that you have been able to meet so many local and other people with Crohn's, and be sure to let your boyfriend know about this place so he can come in and share his story with us.

As Deb said feel free to ask anything. We are all here to share support, tips and information. We also seem to be sharing a lot of laughs too, so feel free to contribute in any way :)!

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Welcome Chippie!

I'm fairly new here myself, but there seems to be a lot of really great people here to meet. The ones I've met so far are very friendly and kind.

The moderator(s) are in the process of establishing a chat for us soon. The room is there, but the times and dates are still being worked out and should be posted soon. There's lots of personal stories to read, one place created to just vent, a place to talk about things NOT related to CD, and LOTS of good laughs along the way (as we have several members with good humor) :D

What a great attitude you have! How refreshing!

It helps so much to have a positive attitude (which is not always an easy thing to do) and yes, I'm sure that the stress you were under didn't help matters for you in the beginning.

I'm glad you found a good doctor who listens to you - you are SO right, that is very important!

Congratulations on your persistance and successfully graduating with your Bachelor's degree! If you don't mind me asking, what type of design did you study?

Well, thank you for sharing. I look forward to getting to know you better in the future!

C

chippiechip

Tami Lynn said:
Congratulations on your persistence and successfully graduating with your Bachelor's degree! If you don't mind me asking, what type of design did you study?!
I studied the general design process which includes industrial, graphic, and I emphasized on interior design. I also minored in art history :p I currently work at an architectural firm. But I just recently passed the state exam for my Real Estate Licenses and I'm exploring the opportunities that has given me.

K

Kate

HEHE so chippie if i ever look into moveing to canada? then i should look u up to set me up with a house

J

jyarmo

Hey Chippie, welcome aboard!

It's great to hear that you are living, by all accounts a "normal" life while still dealing with your crohn's.

I think there has been enough shared regarding the benefits of the board...I don't want to start bragging or nothing! ;)

See you around and make sure your boyfriend joins :)

R

ReeRee

The people on Crohnsforum, are all the best bunch and crew one could ever ask for. We are all here to support you in any way we can.
That's the truth! I love it here already!

Welcome to the forum Chip. I can't wait to get to know you better. I'm loving meeting all of my fellow Crohnnies.

C

chippiechip

Kate said:
HEHE so chippie if i ever look into moveing to canada? then i should look u up to set me up with a house
Actually Kate, I'm in California so if your thinking of moving to Cali I can help you out here :p
-Gloria

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Something tells me the weather might be a bit more enjoyable in California than up here in Canada ;). At least it is now almost summer and the warm weather is starting to come our way.