Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Pain medication and addiction in Crohn's Disease

09-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
xrayzerase

Pain medication and addiction in Crohn's Disease

i was just wondering if anyone else here has experienced getting addicted to a pain med? (like codeine)-and-if so--what do you use for pain now? (if anything)
i got addicted to tylenol 3's (tylenol w 30 mg codeine). i had been taking them for awhile then-(starting with shingles-one small nerve was in pain along eye--but-that one little nerve caused enormous pain-worse than my migraines)
then-i started using it for migraines til i got hooked. anyway-now-at times-i still get headaches. i am seeing maybe dehydration can maybe be in part what at least triggers a migraine..i don't know. but..the migraine meds scare me (as i am already on other strong meds)
the crohn's stuff -i worry if i feel pain again: well--what do others do? if in pain -and if not able to take narcotics? just deal? so far -i don't need anything for the crohn's-(though the heartburn is hard to cope with--at least the diarrhea almost gone-(still have quite a few bm's a day tho) -and some ab discomfort.
just-sometimes i wonder if the shingles/crohn's and endometriosis -and even migraines-all somehow relate (immune trouble)--(sorry-guess that is another topic)
but my key thing: it seems that if one has one crohn's-it tends to involve other stuff too (like headaches..and other messes--which= sometimes: pain) just..really wish i could take a pain pill at times (legitimately need one sometimes..)

Last edited by xrayzerase; 09-12-2006 at 11:08 AM.
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Skinsfan1229

There are a lot of meds without codeine. Do you even need something that strong if you were only taking t3's in the past? Its highly unlikely for someone in real pain to get addicted also.
09-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
xrayzerase

i guess maybe "pain" wasn't the best word...even the worst migraines : "discomfort" is probably a better word..
all i know is i got hooked on those t-3's in the sense that i couldn't go through a day without them..and i was slowly needing (or wanting--was hard to tell) stronger relief..which i knew was not a good sign.
i can handle discomfort--but-sometimes it can get bad enough to want relief -so..not sure..
(ps: sorry if this isn't totally related to the ibd---but..i guess -sometimes it is hard to know where anything fits any more ..just-this whole mess can get frustrating..and while i am glad to have finally found out why i was having so many bowel problems (esp diarrhea) for so long..and i am lucky it was caught at mild stage-the diagnosis is still messing with my head.

Last edited by xrayzerase; 09-11-2006 at 04:55 PM.
09-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Skinsfan1229

Oh no problem about posting.

I understand now, I guess I wasnt realizing it was migraines. My Pain management doc gives me something called Fiorinal (the one without codiene, its made both ways), I get methotrexate weekly, and it gives me headaches for days. Finally he gave me this when I told him about it and within 20 mins it was gone, they work pretty darn good for me actually.
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

Remember their are two types of addiciton... First is the mental addiction... You crave the medcine because it makes you feel good and better... Then their is the physcial addiction that your body craves the susbstance in order to help keep your body better sedated and in a healthier state...

Remember if you are having intestinal pain then thier is only so much you can do...
You can not take NSAID's they will cause your crohn's to flare...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...di/202743.html
If you have active inflamation in your bowels then you CAN NOT have narcotic based pain meds...

Anything that is narctoic based will cause intestinal slowing and blockage and will only make the problem worse... You may feel pain free, or at a lower amount of pain for a few hours, but be in even worse pain 4 hours later... Thus you take another pain pill to killl the pain that the pervious pain pill caused you as it passed through your body... Very fast way to get addicited, hospitilized, or even dead if you do this... Yes your intestines can rupture.... If you have lots of pressure (if you feel super bloated all throughout your intestines and stomach) then do not take a narcotic based pain med. Very much so if you are then going to take a phengran and try to eat (you may be starving due to a high prednsione dsages). If you do this then your intestines can rupture... If your instestines rupture then well you will either die or be live with a very very very not pretty pitcure of what is left of your intestines..

I would try asking your doc for valium based antistress meds and muscle relaxers for the pain... Make sure he gives you a small dosage and keeps a tight leash on you though do to your addiction problems.... Another "pain pill" would be Darvociet... It is mainly tylenol with a very small dosage of sysnthitic narcotics in thier... It will not get you "high"... It basicly just feels like taking a slightly stronger tylenol... Because that is all it is. This medcine is special though... It has your tylenol in it and the slight narcotic companant your body is demanding... It will also NOT SLOW DOWN YOUR INTESTINES! So you can take it even if you are having a flare up....

At home for the crohn's I find that if I shower my sides for about 20 min or so with hot water it helps to relax all of my abdominal muscles and helps with the pain...

Again my pain comes in waves from the crohn's due to food passsing through narrowed areas of the small inestines. Some of this narrowing is from scar tissue some of it is from inflamtion.... The only way to know if it is scar or inflamation without having surgery is to go and have a full abdominal CT scan done with contrast... If you ask them then they may or may not have to do a barium enema along with this... It just depends on whither or not you have ever had any inflamation on your large bowel... They take this reading and test before they began adminstering IV corticosteriods.... They will then get you to take that same test before they want you to go home.... All of your inflamtion should be clear due to you still being on the IV steriods (much more potent and higher dosage than the oral steriods) ,so the pitcure they see of your intestines is what it is... It will look like how it should look with no inflamtion. The blockages and narrowings you are seeing, and your doc is telling you about are sections of scar tissue... These can only be removed by surgery... Once your scar tissue in an area reaches a certain point that it becomes a permenant/semipermnenat point that is when you will have to have surgery in order for that section of your intestines to be removed...

If you don't mind me asking I would like to know the active state of all of your medical conditions, your treatments, your meds, and types of docotrs you see and what tests they do on you regular bases.... Some of your meds for your endometrosis are probably setting off your crohn's and vice versa.... So manging the pain is just a short bus stop on this road... If you want me to explain more then I can... I'm around.... A lot.... My mental state varies from being sharp as a tac to punch drunk at times due to the medcine I'm on though... Granted I'm still very intelligent while drunk but my already bad typing/grammer skills are not helped by the matter...

Also remember if you ever feel your in pain, or alone or something else then call a friend and get them over there to take care of you... You should never have to fight this battle alone.... If you do then you will have nothing to look forward to but pain... Life is about looking to improve and enrich your life and the lives of the others around you... It is not about you suffering every day simpley so the next day you go and suffer more...

So talk to your friends, set goals, make plans, even if you know you can't do them. Life is about living it. Always look for that silver lining no matter how dark things get... You will get better eventually and you will be stable... Otherwise you will continue to degrad and your body will fall apart. Then you will die and be at peace... Either option is what I hope for...

Last edited by GNC Crohn's Man; 09-11-2006 at 06:37 PM.
09-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Skinsfan1229

I see you have narrowing areas I can see why you wanted want to take but so much narcotics, because it slows your bowels and can make you constipated. But I believe that most of us have diahrea and not constipation, I realize some do though.

For me I can take say 1 or 2 vicodin a day and it will slow my bowels so that I am more formed...which helps a lot considering I have an ostomy.

I was going to offer up that you should ask about something like levsin, an anti-spasmadic instead of pain killer.

Do you ever go to the ER GNC crohns man? The reason I ask is because almost 100 percent of the time if your in pain they are going to give you a narcotic, atleast in my experience, they've never given me something that isnt.

On other forums we've actually had a discussion of the "narcotic energy", might be a good thread to start...

Last edited by Skinsfan1229; 09-11-2006 at 06:49 PM.
09-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

Unless your in "real pain" they give you Toradol now... It is a strong NSAID and not addicitive... It is not safe for long term use though....
09-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Skinsfan1229

Yea that doesnt work for me. They always try to force it on me and I explain to them go look at my chart you'll see it does nothing! lol. Its more of an anti-inflammatory. I've had them try to bring me this one time when I was in some serious pain and they would not give me any actual pain meds, I got right up out of my bed and told them to transfer me to another ER or I'd be calling an amublance to pick me up. They brought it right in then! you just have to threaten a little sometimes!

does the toradal work for you?
09-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
xrayzerase

gncchrohnsman:
thanks
i guess i wrote that when on edge-worrying about stuff..and-sometimes i am not clear how addicted i was...but..i do know it is something i have to be careful with..
um..active stuff..
crohn's (still not out of flare-up) but entocort seems to be helping. i see my gi on the 21st.
the endometriosis/gyn stuff is also mild-i take birth control and it keeps the ovarian cysts etc from forming. (none since my op about 6 ot 7 years ago (myomectomy) also-no fibroids have returned. (my grandmother and aunt both had hysterectomies-and my aunt has endometriosis-and stomach ulcers. but...my grandmother is 91 and still healthy..so..who knows. oh--an my dad had colon cancer 5 years ago at 65-and my mom has menieres (diagnosed a year ago and she is taking diuretics and other stuff..which help for now..) (and my grandfather had...(colitis?) not sure...but-he never took longterm meds and seemed to get through it-he lived til he was 92 without another attack-or whatever--but the genetic end of all of it does make me want to learn more--but..i guess since even the dr's dont know the cause of autoimmunes stuff..and why a particular area is attacked..i guess there is no way to know right now..(also-i know environmental-living conditions/food/stress--play a role in trigger--but..wonder how much they play a role in cause--altho-i guess from what i can tell so far -cause is probably multiple in reasons-so..i don't know. sometimes i try to understand and read all i can-and even though i do learn..it is really such a jungle of stuff with no one answer... i am an artist though-and often wonder how careful i need to be with media i use (nothing too horrible-but i do use paints/broken glass/wire/glues/sand and cut woods....i guess i'll just be more aware/careful (can't stop working...) but-just be careful -at least til i am off entocort -or does it matter? yuck--i am thinking too much-or thinking in circles-right now.
sometimes the nerve near my left eye (where i had the shingles attack) acts up--never as bad as when i had shingles--but-at times of stress it does act up.
heartburn is still active--but-better. keeping a food-journal-as certain foods aggravate it--but..food is not the sole reason for it -as it never really goes away. i will be asking my dr more about this on the 21st.
otherwise-that's it.
just-hoping to get a bit active again. been in doing work via computer--but..need to get out more once again. but..i admit-if i am too active in a day (over past weeks)-i get a bit tired and don't feel great.--so-i guess i am going slow about getting back into stuff..
i am lucky to have close family and a few excellent friends. i just hate bugging them. they are there...but..i'll admit it--i sometimes just want to ignore this whole thing. though..it got to where it wont let me...so...oh well...
anyway-i hope all is going well on your end-your/others (this forum) sharing all you go through really seems to help others--and also good to just vent. i know it helps me...and i hope if there is ever any way i can help out somehow-well..that would be cool---it helps get through this sharing it..and learning too-(and i am sure even the dr's need to know a lot of the things people go through-so they can work it all in to learning more about not just crohn's-but ibd-and mostly-autoimmune based stuff...(and how to separate stuff too..) i don't know..
rambling..(sorry so long..just one of those days..)
~andrea
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Jeff D.

Hey Skinsfan I guess I am unlucky and have C.

I got addicted not to a pain med but to benadryl because I could not sleep at night until I took it and a half hour later I would be out. I know where you come from and I could not imagine how hard it would be.

Best of luck

Hugs
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

I'm pretty much addicted to one med myself. I take requip for restless leg. In most cases, I can get away with not taking it, due to improvements by the mangosteen juice, but requip makes you go to sleep and stay there, in pretty decent REM sleep. I like that because I never have slept well. So, I have cut the requip in 1/2, and it really does ensure my legs aren't bouncing around the country, but I think I am addicted to the sleep aid in it. Oh well. We all have some flaws, right?
09-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Skinsfan1229

REM???Isnt that Rapid Eye Movement time? So thats when your actually not gettting your best sleep isnt it?
10-30-2006, 05:32 AM   #13
Skinsfan1229

http://www.addict-help.com/pain-killer-addiction.htm

Pain Killer Addiction
Pain Killers, also known as opioids, are commonly prescribed because of their pain relieving properties. Many studies have shown that properly managed medical use of pain killer compounds is safe and rarely causes addiction. Taken exactly as prescribed, opioids can be used to manage pain effectively.

Among the compounds that fall within this class—sometimes referred to as narcotics—are morphine, codeine, and related medications. Morphine is often used before or after surgery to alleviate severe pain. Codeine is used for milder pain. Opioids act by attaching to specific proteins called opioids receptors, which are found in the brain, spinal cord, and gastrointestinal tract. When these compounds attach to certain opioids receptors in the brain and spinal cord, they can effectively change the way a person experiences pain. In addition, opioids medications can affect regions of the brain that mediate what we perceive as pleasure, resulting in the initial euphoria that many opioids produce.

Chronic use of pain killers can result in tolerance to the medications so that higher doses must be taken to obtain the same initial effects. Long-term use also can lead to physical addiction—the body adapts to the presence of the substance and withdrawal symptoms occur if use is reduced abruptly. Individuals taking prescribed pain killer medications should not only be given these medications under appropriate medical supervision, but also should be medically supervised when stopping use in order to reduce or avoid withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms of withdrawal can include restlessness, muscle and bone pain, insomnia, diarrhea, vomiting, cold flashes with goose bumps (“cold turkey”), and involuntary leg movements.
Individuals who become addicted to pain killers can be treated. Options for effectively treating pain killer addiction to prescription opioids are drawn from research on treating heroin addiction.

Prolonged use of these drugs eventually changes the brain in fundamental and long-lasting ways, explaining why people cannot just quit on their own, and why treatment is essential. In effect, drugs of abuse take over the brain's normal pleasure and motivational systems, moving drug use to the highest priority in the individual's motivational hierarchy, thereby overriding all other motivations and drives. These brain changes, then, are responsible for the compulsion to seek and use drugs that we have come to define as addiction. This is likely the state people are in when they are reportedly "doctor shopping," feigning illnesses, and stealing from pharmacies to obtain the drug.

Fortunately, we have a number of effective options to treat pain killer addiction to prescription opioids and to help manage the sometime severe withdrawal syndrome that accompanies sudden cessation of drug use. These options are drawn from experience and clinical research regarding the treatment of heroin addiction. They include medications, such as methadone and LAAM (levo-alpha-acetyl-methadol), and behavioral counseling approaches.

Typically, the patient is medically detoxified before any treatment approach is begun. Although detoxification in itself is not a treatment for pain killer addiction, it can help relieve withdrawal symptoms while the patient adjusts to being drug free. Once the patient completes detoxification, the treatment provider must then work with the patient to determine which course of treatment would best suit the needs of the patient.

There are alot of resources on this site, pretty good site, even if your not addicted to anything or havent been its some good knowledge to have on there.
10-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #14
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

Remember there is a big difference between the different types of dependencey:

"Chronic use of pain killers can result in tolerance to the medications so that higher doses must be taken to obtain the same initial effects. Long-term use also can lead to physical addiction—the body adapts to the presence of the substance and withdrawal symptoms occur if use is reduced abruptly. Individuals taking prescribed pain killer medications should not only be given these medications under appropriate medical supervision, but also should be medically supervised when stopping use in order to reduce or avoid withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms of withdrawal can include restlessness, muscle and bone pain, insomnia, diarrhea, vomiting, cold flashes with goose bumps (“cold turkey”), and involuntary leg movements.

Individuals who become addicted to pain killers can be treated. Options for effectively treating pain killer addiction to prescription opioids are drawn from research on treating heroin addiction."

This is not the same as mental dependency... Mental dependency may develope because of the physcial dependencey... If you are mental dependent and not physcially depependet anymore then you probably should go see a pain managment doctor AND a physctrist (not physcologist)... They may be able to help with the mental addicton part or point you in the right direction as far as the next step.... Plus they will be a lot more discrete than you just going to a rehab program...
10-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

This is a good little article sticky please since we have tons of questions about pain meds and addictions...
10-30-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

We need a sticky post on what pain medication's are effective and what are not for use in treating our symptoms...

First off any NSAID (Non Sterodial AntiInflammitory Drug) is very bad for you and may cause a flare up with prolonged use so stay away from them... That is all the over the counter medcine except for Tylenol (Actemenophin)...

Remember as far as I know anything that has a large dosage of narcotics in it WILL SLOW DOWN THE GI TRACT... Also the actually pills may have trouble digesting and may by themselves cause blockage when they slow down your intestinal movements...

I have found Darvocet (mixture of Tylenol and propoxyphene) is the only safe pain medication I can take that won't hurt my intestines.... Granted it does nothing for intestinal pain, but hey its good for all these headaches that the prednisone causes and it also helps some with the various joint and muscle pain... Propoxyphene is a narcotic that they made up in the lab but their is such a low dosage of the narcotic part that it doesn't effect the intestines generally... Granted it doesn't really help with the pain either....

If you are in GI pain you need to take a look at what you are eating when you are eating it, your bowel movements, your meds, what causes relief, what causes pain, right all that stuff down with a date and a time stamp...

Best way to deal with the pain of crohn's is to avoid things that cause you pain...
10-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #17
Skinsfan1229

I see a Pain Management Doctor. He was an ER doctor then became a Anestesiologist he's just moved to my area and took over a practice so right now he's only doing pain management, but boy I cant wait till he starts doing anastesia at my hospital, because I'll have no problems with ER doctors withholding from me.

Here is a link to his bio, pretty impressive if you have a minute or two to read over it.

http://www.jamesriverpainmanagement.com/grass.htm

Last edited by Skinsfan1229; 11-04-2006 at 02:45 PM.
10-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Skinsfan1229

For me Percocet and Vicodin work the best, the 10/325's, they do slow down my digestion, but for me its perfect, having my ostomy and all, it makes my stools a lot better, and closer to how they should be.

When I'm in pain from rectal pain and my oral medications arent working I'll get dalaudid through IV 2mg every 25 minutes. (1mg of dalaudid is equal to 10mg of morphine).

If I'm having surgery or admitted to the hospital they will give me 10mg dalaudid through PCA pump, 6 bowliss, 4 over the hour, 40mg of CR oxycontin ever 12 hours and 35mg of regular oxycontin every 4 hours.

Watch out for the narcotics though, especially if your one of the ones that get constipated instead of diahrea. Also they can cover up the real problem. With me, its not eating, or bms, none of that coincides, but its different for everyone, just like each pain medication will work different.

Just like for me Morphine does nothing, so I've gotten into the habit of just sayying I'm allergic to it so they dont try to force it on me before giving me the dalaudid. Demeral, even the 100mg pills, I was prescribed to take 2 at a time, and 100mg are the biggest ones, and all it did was give me a head change, no intestinal relief, or pain relief, so i flushed those.

Honestly the best overall I've had for moderate pain are the 10/325 vicodin, they slow down my digestion more then the percocet and dont give me a head change so I can still drive and such, plus if I'm nasueas then it helps with that also, extremely helps actually. I also take it on an empty stomach, I've built such a tolerance that if I take it on a full stomach they wont do anything at all. I always take more then 1 at a time. PM Dr. knows, I do let him know, and he says we'll end up needing to use something longer acting...like methadone, I dont know how I feel about that, but at the same rate its better then 200 to 300 pills a month if i can take 1 every 12 hours or so.

I think I'm one of the few with crohns that have a lot of pain, some people dont have pain at all, so remember this is my experience, Everyones WILL be different. I've seen people on here say they get demeral through IV, but that doesnt work for me, so theres an another example.

Pain mangement doctors are definetly the way to go if you have access, and plan on being on pain medication for a pro-longed period of time, say 4 months or more I would really say. A PM doctor either has to be an anastesiologist or neurologist, either way your in better hands then a GI or PCP prescribing. I used to get my surgeon to do it and he did it great, including weaning me off instead of stopping it cold turkey and such. Anyone with chronic pain from crohns should speak with their pcp or GI about pain managment, but I would talk to my PCP first...GI's seem to stray away from pain medication.
10-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
Skinsfan1229

I'm going to merge the posts about addiction I put up the other day that we responded to so we dont have two of the same threads, or close to it. Plus I'll sticky this, good idea.
11-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #20
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

Wahhhhoooo good job skins
11-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #21
Skinsfan1229

lol thanks Crohns man.
11-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #22
HeidiZoo

I can definitely understand all your pain and worry of addiction. I have been dealing with endometriosis pain for 11 years. The best thing I EVER did for that, was go on the Depo Prevera injection! I strongly advise discussing this with your OB. I also have quite intense abdominal pain due to the Crohn's, severe acid reflux, and to having a pancreatic tumor removed. The tube feedings I had for four months after my tumor was removed caused nerve damage in my lower abdomen... and because I'm missing most of my digestive system, there are very few pain medications that my stomach can handle. I've honestly never taken anything for my Crohn's pain... I just deal. But if you can't deal with it, there's no reason you should suffer. Talk to your doctor and figure out what's best for you, and don't be so worried about trying a narcotic if necessary. Six weeks ago, I fell off my horse and now I have a concussion, bulging discs in my next, damaged discs going down to the middle of my back, and nerve damage, pain, and decreased use of my left arm. I've been on vicodin for six weeks and it has not effected my Crohn's one bit!!! I HAD to be on vicodin for four months straight after my abdominal surgery and I stopped it immediately after my stomach tubes were pulled with no withdrawals/side effects. You will find what works best for you. I like to remind people too, don't ever be afraid to get a second opinion... or third It took me a very long time before I could find competent doctors. Good luck!

Take care,
Heidi
11-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #23
Skinsfan1229

People have to realize that surgery may not 'fix' your pain.

You may have nerve damage in your colon or bowel, in which case, removing something may not take the pain away....you'll still have the damaged nerves.
02-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
ccarp001

for exactly that reason i refuse to take narcotic painkillers. i take Ultram, and while it doesnt totally wipe the pain out if its really severe, it allows me to function. i dislike that doctors go straight to narcotics, when there's such a risk of addiction/dependence issues. i mean, we already have enough problems as it is! lol
02-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
Budgirl

I also am under the care of a pain specialist. And Morphine does NOTHING for me either. It actually increases my pain (like through the roof). In the hospital I am always given Diluatin and it WAS a god sent. But now the problem I have faced the past two times in the hospital is the Diluatin doesn't work anymore. I have become so tolerant to narcotics that they can't give me anymore than they do. I have taken 4-8 Vicodin a day along with a 10mg of oxycotin CR(2x a day) for over 2 years now. This is due to more then just flare up pain. I also have a bone disease(caused by high doses for prolonged periods of time of Predisone).

I recently had a knee replacement and was so scared of the pain afterward not being relieved by meds. I had the best pain guy ever. He said it happens all the time to long-time users of pain meds. He gave me an epidural for 2 days following the surgery. After that though I had to deal w/it on just oral meds. I have now realized that my pain meds help me on a daily basis, but when the pain gets out of control there is nothing they can give to me to really put me out of my misery anymore.

Last edited by Budgirl; 02-16-2007 at 10:34 PM.
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #26
xrayzerase

[QUOTE=Budgirl]I also am under the care of a pain specialist. And Morphine does NOTHING for me either.

hi budgirl
i was just wondering:
what or how did you go about getting a "pain specialist"?
i didn't even think of that.
i am not in a place where i am intolerant to many pain meds yet-but i have been through drug addiction-yet-at the same time-i do at times need pain meds.
to have a dr that can work with me on this may be a thought..as taking ANY narcotic or whatever makes me nervous due to my history.
i have been taking 3-4 7.5 vicodin a day for -oh-about a month now--but hopefully the remicade working-things may ease up and i won't need the pain meds soon. i just simply couldn't function without them.
i have not had it nearly as hard as you-but i do have other illness (endometriosis) which also causes some pain and osteoarthritis in my foot from a bad break.
i try my best to stay away from pain meds-but-this time-it wasn't even the pain that got me-but the exhaustion caused by the stress the pain put on my body. once i took the pain med-i felt the obvious slight-sleepiness from the pill-but it took away much of the total =exhaustion of not being able to feel cofortable in any way-can't sit stand lie down with out feeling horrible-and so i finally got on my dr about the pain meds (even he was hesitant at first due to my past)
all i know is that i'd rather get addicted and go through withdrawl again than deal with months of this pain/exhaustion til the remicade kicks in enough so i can get back to work etc.
i just though-hmm-a pain specialist--especially if i need pain meds in the future for longer periods. this time i think i'll be fine-i should bge tapering of the vicodin soon. but i admit once i taper the steroids-even thoughon remicade now-i still worry about a bad flare again. so need to keep this in mind.-now-or later.
all i know is that since i found out the remicade is working (for now)-i am in a good mood. that and my prozac has me out of depression. i am working a lot more-and can finally get back to not just working from home in about 2 weeks (after my next infusion)
anyway-just curious--did you get the specialist through your GI? or on your own?
i know it is different for wherever anyone may live-and so on---but-still-and info is better than none.
thanks
and good luck
you sound like a real fighter-(i read your intro thing) and that is GOOD.
i know for me-i am too-despite the thing that i have trouble with depression as well as all this junk. but -is by FAR not who i am. i am an artist. not a crohnie.
but sometimes-i guess it takes a bit to remember this...
ok-enough=
andrea
02-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #27
Budgirl

I was referred to a pain specialist by my Orthopedic Doc. I have a bone disease called AVN "dead bone disease" caused by prolonged use of predisone. Before this occured I was never given pain meds for my Crohns(except for after surgery pain). I was hospitalized for a Kidney stone about 3 years ago. That is when I was first prescribed Vicodin for a long period of time. I noticed that once I began taking this drug on a daily basis my bm's decreased drastically. I wasn't in the bathroom after every little thing I ate. I know that it is because Vicodin slows down the bowels but I didn't care because it was giving me relief. Now, after 3 yrs of being on it I'm sure I'm addicted to some extent. It really is the worst when I'm in severe pain and nothing seems to work anymore. I don't recommend taking it on a daily basis to anyone. Mainly because my tolerance is now so high that even when I am hospitalized for a flare up IV pain meds really don't even help anymore.

A pain specialist really is the way to go though. He keeps up on my intake and trys to keep me as comfortable as possible. They monitor your usage and also take bloodwork to watch for side effects of long term usage like Liver damage.
04-11-2007, 06:35 AM   #28
xrayzerase

skinsfan and gnccrohnsman:
i have now been takin vicodin for about 3 months. first 3 either 5 or 7.5 a day then when i went off entocort i took between 4-10 a day.
it helped-enormously-as it allowed me to function even just a little.
also: th ermeicade is not working for me. had 3 infusions. went of entocort and had a blood test a week later-infammation is back--not high--but : back. it didn't surprise me as i am still very crampy and burning-and have fever-and still have bad fatigue.
whatever. i see him next week-may have to have all tests (inc colonoscopy) and new tests alol over again. he wants to put me on 6mp. stop the remicade. not sure what else. it is very confusing.
i am going to talk w him about pain management at slaon kettering. maybe he's be open to working with them.
i hear you gnc on the slowing of bowels w narcotics--but i highly doubt this other med will do it. i'll try it -i'll try anything. but right now-i am trying to taper off vicodin. but-in reality-will be asking for more and to wok w pain counseling.
valium -or-for me-ativan-and librax-don't help with the bad cramps and the exhaustion that comes with it all.
vicodin-for me-so far has been the only one to help--but i do admit-my dose is increasin-i do need to more as i go along.
any advice?
are narcotics really not worht the risk if they allow you to "function"?
just curious
04-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #29
xrayzerase

Budgirl said:
I was referred to a pain specialist by my Orthopedic Doc. I have a bone disease called AVN "dead bone disease" caused by prolonged use of predisone. Before this occured I was never given pain meds for my Crohns(except for after surgery pain). I was hospitalized for a Kidney stone about 3 years ago. That is when I was first prescribed Vicodin for a long period of time. I noticed that once I began taking this drug on a daily basis my bm's decreased drastically. I wasn't in the bathroom after every little thing I ate. I know that it is because Vicodin slows down the bowels but I didn't care because it was giving me relief. Now, after 3 yrs of being on it I'm sure I'm addicted to some extent. It really is the worst when I'm in severe pain and nothing seems to work anymore. I don't recommend taking it on a daily basis to anyone. Mainly because my tolerance is now so high that even when I am hospitalized for a flare up IV pain meds really don't even help anymore.

A pain specialist really is the way to go though. He keeps up on my intake and trys to keep me as comfortable as possible. They monitor your usage and also take bloodwork to watch for side effects of long term usage like Liver damage.
budgirl
thank you
i am lookin into sloan kettering for pain management.
i don't have joint troubles-well-slight over past month-but nothing that bothers me. i have been doing my best to try all things before going to prednisone.
i also have endometriosis/ibs-severe-and my dr suspects i may have other immune-related things going on-so-hene the tests ahead.
cant wat for the ole scope again!!!
but-thanks...
good luck to you
i know how pain can take so much away from your life--just even simply shopping makes still makes me feel sick/fever so on. but-w vicodin-i am able to at least go out a bit--i am not housebound--and while yeah-i am not 20--i am 43--i still am young in mant ways-and my work just happened to be taking off just when all this hit --dx 6 months ago. my depression is less the cd/pain-but living alone-(tho i have good spport-family/friends)-but not working-when things were at such a high--THAT is what killed me most. and it was i may have to acccet-i may have to adapt to a different sort of work--but when you LOVE your work-and may never be able to go back to it in the same way..it takes enormous will to hange.
the pain:
i HATE IT-
but it is not working that is killing me-and also-i have responsibilities to others-which in a way is good-as it keeps me from goin into my head on this and giving up (easy to do at times)but-i not only love people-and my cat --they also rely on me --and so..i am glad for that.
i just find the way fr's respondm to pain meds a bit stupid. yeah: the viocdin slows the bowel and so on-but it also allows one to live a bit. i mean-think of what predisone is/does...same thing? ok-not really-but-it's damage is far worse. what is the answer? none. you look for what you are qilling to accept as a risk --if something works-it should be up to you. not the dr. or at least-have the dr monitor you if on pain meds.
just like when u are on pred or rem or others.
anyway-thats all
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #30
BTRoadie

Having read over all the posts, I am not really delighted but relieved to know there are others out there with chronic pain from this affliction

I went through three GI's before I found one I was comfortable with and he is pretty stingy with the pain meds until recently.

I see an arthritis dr as well and he started me on the tramadol/ultram about 6 months ago and it works great sometimes but makes it difficult for me to sleep, so he gave me lorazapam that no longer works with out increasing the dosage to dangerous levels.

I currently am on a taper of prednisone from 40 to 0mgs takes about 8 weeks
along with imuran, asacol, two iron pills daily,a course of flagyl as well, they tried remicade on me but my reaction was severe, so that has stopped and I am now going in for the scope again upper and lower on the same day! good times

after the scoping he is talking about Humira, may have misspelled that one.

Medicinal marijuana is approved for Crohn's in washington state but my doc isn't quite that liberal. I find that it helps with appetite, cramping and joint pain(no pun intended) when I can find it

I will be looking for a pain managment specialist after reading this thread, thanks for all your help

if anyone knows a good one near seattle I would appreciate it!

Paul

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Pain medication and addiction in Crohn's Disease