• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sushi anyone?

So I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the seaweed wraps used in sushi rolls, my doctor lifted my diet restrictions and I want to start off kinda soft, baked fish sushi rolls(crunchy roll: rice, snow crab, seaweed, and tempura flakes) or (spicy crawfish rolls: seaweed, crawfish, asparagus) has anyone had any problems with the seaweed like salad does, binding up and stuff. Just wondering didn't figure it would be a problem since they have me on colaze anyway(stool softner). Just let me know thinking about going tomorrow night.

I have sheets of Norri to feed my pet fish but I cant get it into my diet. Just not THAT adventurous I suppose :p But I really enjoy salmon, tuna, haddock and such unbreaded and poached or baked.

and yea I still have issues with eating leafy greens more than occasionally.

I LOVE sushi...I only have problems with the Wasabi - and I love wasabi as well.
If you decide to take the risk, enjoy!!!
Wendy

I have been missing sushi. Not sure if I'm "allowed" since I'm on double immune suppressants now. Though I LOVE sushi with tempura shrimp! Mmm my fav. Ok...now I'm hungry. I had wondered about the seaweed myself. Should be interesting to hear other's responses.

Wendy! I just realized your dog looks like SNOOPY!! Awwww!

@ Marisa - ya, she does as a pup. Im happy to announce though that she finally grew in to her nose :)

Ohhhh.... now I am hankering for sushi :eek2:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
hmm.....I eat sushi with no (obvious) problems - BUT - if you have doubts, you could always unwrap the roll and eat all but.....OR - ask for no seaweed......

Sushi's a favorite of mine too, and especially the rolls. Right now I can't eat it, because rice is "illegal" on the SCD I'm trying. That, and most all soy sauces have wheat (I use San-J Organic Wheat Free Tamari at home, you could always bring it with you to the bar if you're gluten free). Never thought of the seaweed as an issue, interesting.

I also recommend the San-J wheat-free Tamari sauce... Yum!

Chirashi is a type of sushi which is basically the raw fish served on a bowl of sushi rice, or nigiri sushi is the little pads of rice topped with a piece of fish and doesn't usually involve nori (sometimes it does, but like the earlier suggestion, just request no nori)...

I order my sushi without sesame seeds because I can't really digest them... I seem to do OK with the nori, though. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your delicious meal!!

hmm have never had sushi in rolls that way.

sashimi though is usually just fish yes? tuna. YUM.

i agree though, if you want the rolls see if theyll roll it for ya and then take off the seaweed.

No one worries about the raw factor and immune suppressants? Just curious. that is my reason for avoiding currently.

I had no idea soy sauce had wheat in it and I have the San-J soy sauce by chance! Woo!

dreamintwilight said:
No one worries about the raw factor and immune suppressants? Just curious. that is my reason for avoiding currently.

I had no idea soy sauce had wheat in it and I have the San-J soy sauce by chance! Woo!
Marisa - Not sure about the raw/immune suppressant thing. I worried about this since I take acid blockers (ranitidine). Stomach acid exists primarily to disinfect the food we eat. Obviously, raw can't DECREASE your chances of getting food poisoning, or a parasite, so it probably increases your risks slightly, though I would guess not tooooo much.

BTW, not all San J soy sauce is wheat free. Only This One.

Well most sushi, not sashimi, has been cooked at least a bit so you should be fine. As for asking for it without the nori it is really easy to make sushi without nori. It's literally the same motion just without nori.

Well most sushi, not sashimi, has been cooked at least a bit so you should be fine. As for asking for it without the nori it is really easy to make sushi without nori. It's literally the same motion just without nori.
In this country (as opposed to Japan) Sushi is a more generic term. The rolls etc. that most people refer to as "Sushi" are a western thing, and can contain cooked ingredients, such as tempura shrimp or crab, and of course the rice is cooked, but fish such as salmon and tuna is generally raw.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I'm kind of "meh" on Sushi anyways. It's not that I dislike it, it's just that I don't go out of my way for it.

The seaweed stuff can cause issues for me, but then a lot of other foods do too.

I always thought I was okay with it, so I went last week for my birthday. Was alright at first... until my boyfriend and I sat down in the theater to see Robin Hood. I had to run to the bathroom during the previews, and then 5 minutes into the movie I decided I just had to go home. Boo! Not sure what it was that hurt me so bad.

ameslouise

has anyone had any problems with the seaweed like salad does, binding up and stuff.
I haven't had any problems with the nori since I've been on lo-res. But if you are nervous about it, stick with nagiri or sashimi. A good sushi chef can make you a roll without nori - like an inside-out roll with just rice.

Marisa - I never gave a second's thought to being on an immunosuppresant and eating sushi. I would be more concerned about parasites not necessarily food-borne bacteria. I can't remember hearing about any cases of salmonella or e-coli from sushi. Lately those cases have all come from lettuce, green onions, sprouts and meat products. More dangerous eating romaine lettuce lately than sushi.

I haven't had any problems with the nori since I've been on lo-res. But if you are nervous about it, stick with nagiri or sashimi. A good sushi chef can make you a roll without nori - like an inside-out roll with just rice.

Marisa - I never gave a second's thought to being on an immunosuppresant and eating sushi. I would be more concerned about parasites not necessarily food-borne bacteria. I can't remember hearing about any cases of salmonella or e-coli from sushi. Lately those cases have all come from lettuce, green onions, sprouts and meat products. More dangerous eating romaine lettuce lately than sushi.
All very true. Any good sushi chef is very happy to make you whatever you ask for, it's one of the cool things about sitting at the bar!

Also correct about the frequent origins of food borne illness. Often has more to do with the appalling conditions the people in the fields have to deal with in terms of restroom factilities as anything else, combined with lack of proper cleaning/prep at the food service level. There was a huge outbreak of Salmonella in the Southwest in spring of 2008. Lucky me, I was in Santa Fe when this occurred, and I got infected. I've never been sicker in my life. The condition cleared up, but a few months later, I developed the gut issues I have now, which have never gone away. It's hard to know of course it the 2 are related, but I've always wondered if there might have been a connection, since I never had anything like this previously. That outbreak was later traced to peppers from Mexico.

mmmmm !!! Sushi

I always get the eel with avacado and some eel sauce and ginger. Its cooked and yummy. I also ask for them not to put the seeds on it!