Share Facebook

07-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
Pincushion

My Modulen Journey

Well I am on my third day and last night when I got back from my singing practice I actually wanted some modulen!! I felt hungry and knew it would make me feel better, which is such a breakthrough after being unable to drink it at all on the first day!!

This morning I woke up and went straight downstairs to get the kettle on to prepare the modulen and I am looking forward to having some. Don't get me wrong, it still tastes grim but I know it makes the hunger pangs go away and i'm determined to see it through.

The saving graces for me have been nesquik chocolate and my now vital straw!! If it weren't for these things and your support I would not have gotten beyond day 1!

Thank you!! ((((((((hugs))))))))

Crohn's Disease Diagnosed Jan 2000

30th June 2010 began Modulen for 6 weeks (Liquid diet especially for crohn's. No food allowed whatsoever )

07-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Pincushion

OMG don't quote me on this but I think I may actually be beginning to like it

07-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Pincushion

:mbh:

I just got full marks from my dietician!! GET IN!!!

YAY!! She is thrilled I am doing so well
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Becky

thats great!

diagnosis- Oct 2006

remicade every 6 wks
07-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Pincushion

DAY 4

Today I am coping fine with drinking the modulen and want to get to full quota so i dont feel hungry

still making everyone else food and boy it's a killer

SO hungry right now would kill for a cup of tea, some crusty bread and some lovely cheeses!!

Last edited by Pincushion; 07-03-2010 at 10:23 AM.
07-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Pincushion

DAY 5

I am really really struggling today, I am desperately missing food

and i am a misery, everyone around me is enjoying the weather and the lovely food that goes with it and i cant help feeling resentful - which is ridiculous!

PLUS my husband brought in kfc (which is my favourite!) he offered to eat it in the garden but still I'm finding it so hard and I just cant cope that I wont be eating for WEEKS!! urgh I know i'm being pathetic and childlike adn otehrs are worse off but thats just how i feel :grumpy:
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Pincushion

ARGHHHH I WANT SOME FOOD!!!!

can't do this
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Yes you can do it Christina!!!

Sending heaps and heaps of and positive thoughts your way.

Take care,
Dusty
07-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Pincushion

Thanks DustyKat

I am coping better today though the dreaded D has really picked up and its giving me bad cramps now

Seeing my consultant this afternoon following my capsule endoscopy and recent time in hospital etc....
07-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I will be thinking about you. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty.
07-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Pincushion

Day 8

Coping well on modulen though have very little energy and thats not easy when looking after a 2 year old!

Not such great news on Monday but can't be bothered to go there... don't have the head space for it all...

SCRAP that i'm pee'd off!!!

Last edited by Pincushion; 07-07-2010 at 09:30 AM.
07-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
Pincushion

DAY 9

Looking Good Baby!!
07-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
DustyKat
Super Moderator

So happy to hear things are looking up again.

Pin.

Take care,
Dusty
07-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Wow just noticed he name change... good thing you are doing so well after struggling without food. I paid off! Hugs.
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
NatalieMT

I did the Elemental/Modulen diet for 2 months following my initial diagnosis. Once I got past the first 2 weeks it was all plain sailing. I forgot about there being any other food!

Hope you can hang on it there for a little longer, it will be worth it in the end. I knew I felt miles better atleast!
07-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #16
Pincushion

Day 15

Doing well and feeling ok. Still having stomach cramps and have to get to the toilet in a hurry (had a few close calls) but otherwise ok.

1/3 of the way there now....
07-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #17
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Well done honey! Am so pleased you are managing the journey. We will be with you each step of the way.

((hugs))

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
07-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
Pincushion

Day 20

Tomorrow I will be halfway!!

Thanks Jan it means a lot xx
07-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #19
Katiepede

Well done... I did it for 2 weeks, but the symptoms were so bad that I couldn't make it past 500 cals and the symptoms weren't too dissimilar to klean prep!

However, I am on day 1 of elemental 028.... am going to give this a try instead!

How are you feeling now? Much better I hope? How about the adverse symptoms? Have they gone now? xx
07-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Dallies
Dragonfly

You are doing really well. My daughter is now in her 8th week of having a "milkshake diet" no food what so ever. She did try to eat again 2 weeks ago but it made her vomit so she was ordered back onto the liquid diet. She just gets on with it and takes her "shakes" every few hours. I am so very proud of her. Keep going Christina xx

Meds: humira

Surgery:hemicolectomy June 2010
07-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #21
Pincushion

Day 21 (HALFWAY!!)

Katiepede: Hope your first day on elemetal 028 went well xx fingers crossed for you
I am feeling ok. I haven't noticed a great difference to be honest as I think I was at the end of the flare anyway. I do still get cramping pains and need to rush to the loo but that is now only every so often and I know its down to the modulen as opposed to the crohns. I am sure the docs just love experimenting with me and I have to be a good girl and go along with it *sigh* one day they might find an answer for me....

Dallies, thanks for your support that is great that Meg is doing so well What will they do for her if she is struggling to get back onto solids? I was under the impression that it is something you do for 6-8 weeks, not the longterm. But I do know they told me I could carry on if I was feeling so much better but I don't know if they meant indefinately....

I have yet to be told how I am supposed to go about reintroducing food and feeling a bit anxious about it...
07-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
Claire617

My Support Groups:
You have so much will power!! Well done PC!!!!! I remember reading your first post on the day you had to start drinking them and how much you were dreading it, you've done such a great job!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/people/Emma-...889?ref=search
07-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #23
Katiepede

Well done!! I can't say I'm doing too great.... I am not being very well, and I nearly fainted in the shower this morning...

I hope that the moudulen has done some good for you, eve if you're still not feeling brilliant.
:-) xx
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
Dallies
Dragonfly

Day 21 (HALFWAY!!)

Dallies, thanks for your support that is great that Meg is doing so well What will they do for her if she is struggling to get back onto solids? I was under the impression that it is something you do for 6-8 weeks, not the longterm.
Hi Christina, Because of the stricture in Meg's small bowel and 12cm of inflammation that doesn't seem to be healing, Meg will not be able to eat solid food until after the surgery as it causes her to vomit. We see the consultant on 29th July so will hopefully have a date then for the surgery.
Dxx
07-21-2010, 05:12 AM   #25
Pincushion

Hi Dallies, Sorry to hear Meg is going through it at the moment I am glad the modulen is helping her cope while she waits for her appointment. I hope the date comes through quickly for you all xx
07-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #26
Dallies
Dragonfly

Thanks Christina, she is having Ensure Plus ready made "milkshakes" in banana and chocolate now. She likes them!!!!!!!!!! Her dietician has also sent her fortisip drinks (also ready made) in a variety of flavours, for her to try. She did say last night that she can't wait to go to Pizza Hut when she can eat again.

Keep going Christina. Sending hugs x
07-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #27
Pincushion

DAY 23

Aw bless her... yep there are SO many things I am looking forward to having again Everyone one keeps saying 'oh when you've finished i'll make you your favourite cake/dinner/etc' and 'we'll go here to eat for a treat' etc etc..... just not all at once

Yes I had fortisips while i was in hospital in June and they taste nice and are very creamy, more like yoghurts that the modulen.

My friend came round yesterday, with her two little ones, and she brought me a little gift. She said it was to congratulate for being halfway, for being so strong, and to cheer me up as she said I looked down the other day.... I was so overwhelmed at her kindness that I cried! Was so lovely to be thought of for a change and for someone to take the time to do something nice for me

Thank you all, also, for your continued support

Christina x
07-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #28
MisB

My Support Groups:
Hey Pin, I've missed you. I've been off in my own little world lately and just trying to catch up. I didn't even know about this thread until just now or I would have been here sooner. It sounds like you are hanging in there pretty good. I am so very proud of you. I know how difficult things like this are. I've been maintaining this week on lots of pain meds and mostly liquid diet. Doctor told me I can have anything "soft". did a little experimenting and I'm still trying to decide if it was worth it or not. Spent most of the last 2 days in bed. But I didn't come here to cry on your shoulder, I came to tell you that I've been thinking of you and glad that you are hanging in there. keep your spirits up and remember you are on the down side now. Over half way. WOOHOO!!!!! Keep up the good work and I'll try to check here a little more often. Sometimes it doesn't seem like much, but when I'm having a bad day and I check my threads here, it can make all the difference in the world. Sending you lots of .....

AND

For hanging in there and doing such a great job!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted when you can.

Surgery 8-2010 removed ileum, appendix, 1.5 ft of colon, 21 lymph nodes and a 5 cm tumor. All lymph nodes tested positive for cancer.

Conclusion: Crohn's is in remission, start chemo for cancer end of Sept, or beginning of Oct.

All my meds are pertaining to surgery healing and stress.

07-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #29
Pincushion

4 WEEKS DOWN, 2 WEEKS TO GO!! COUNTDOWN!!!

Surprisingly though I am finding this last stretch tough as I am already thinking about the finish line in my head and im not there yet...

Beverly, thanks for your support and I hope you are having a better day today x You are so right that little comments can give you such a lift if you are having a bad day, so thanks for yours

Christina x
07-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #30
DustyKat
Super Moderator

:mbh:

Hey Pin, you have done so amazingly well!!! You must be so proud of yourself, good on you.YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

All the best,
Dusty