Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Veggies are out....what about juicing?

01-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Veggies are out....what about juicing?

It seems I've developed a lot of sensitivity to veggies (it's the fiber I believe). They all give me gas, even with Beano, and that gas gives me cramps/pain which seems to trigger a CD attack.

So, for now I'm off veggies. I am, however, switching to lean proteins and whole grains...kind of SouthBeach Diet without the veg. I feel so much better eating this way.

So, what do you all think of juicing to include some veg in my diet? Obviously I'd ease into it gradually to avoid a digestive disaster. I already have a juicer.

Anyone juice as a supplement?
01-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
Rebecca85

Some people swear by it! I haven't tried juicing myself. But I will advise you to start with watered down juices. I had a bad reaction to some passionfruit juice (even though I can eat passionfruit itself) and can only assume it was something like the juice was too acidic, or maybe because one glass of juice has like 10 passionfruit or something in. I don't mean to put you off, just be careful!

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
01-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
crankypants

I swear by my juicer... once a week i stock my fridge with a big bag of apples and one of oranges, and then some misc veggies (celery, carrots), and some fruits I might normally have problems with (strawberries - mmm)... Throw that all in together to start your day, and your skin'll start to glow and you'll have more energy than you're used to! (at least, it works for me)
01-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
ameslouise

I've been doing "lo res" for months now and really miss vegetables! I buy carrot juice and other vegetable juices because for me, it's not worth my time and money to juice them myself. The brand I buy is organic and availabe at my local groc store. A quart of carrot juice is about 4 bucks. Do you know how many carrots you'd have to juice to make a quart of carrot juice?????? Plus what to do with the byproduct?? I feel bad just throwing that into my composter.

I also make a lot of pureed veg soups and they seem to agree with me fine.

Certainly doesn't replace a nice, big salad, but I think those days are loooong gone for me!

- Amy

PS I'm not knocking juicing - I just personally don't find it to be for me.
01-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Well, once upon a time, there was a member here who believed Juicing was the answer to all chronie woes. Had he/she not been so militant about his beliefs perhaps we all could have learned something. It would be nice to read about juicing experiences without all that drama so I hope this thread continues in the present tone.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Hmmm, I'd forgotten about all that carrot stuff to get rid of. I don't plan on drinking a lot of juice so don't think that'll be an issue in the beginning though. But good point.

I've been doing a bit of reading on supplementing with juice and because the nutrients are so concentrated you don't need to drink a ton of juice each day. I need to research if you can store it as I don't think I'm interested in dealing with my juicer each day for only half a cup of juice. Especially on those days I'm exhausted.

Dexky, don't worry, I'm not militant. Fanatics!
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Hope

Hello!

I had surgery last year (ileostomy) and I was very malnurished,tired, pale, etc etc. I then decided buy a juicer and have been juicing ever since. I cannot explain what a difference this has made in my life. I juice all organic veggies and fruit. My complexion glows and I have so much more energy than I have ever had before! I juice typically 4-6 times a week. At first you may think its a nuisance, but trust me, you will just make it a part of your daily routine and life. When can you have 6 veggies and 2 fruits in one day--and in one glass?
I juice everything from cucumbers, carrots, celery, spinach, kale, beets, ginger, garlic, apples, etc. It has brought so much to my life--I highly suggest it. You will notice a serge of energy after drinking it and I can almost guarantee, your next blood sample results will def show the results as well!! Try it out....you will be sooo happy you did!!!!!
01-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wanted to say, "Thank you," for all the ideas. I have been having a lot of problems with vegetable and fruits. This is very helpful.
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Hope, thank you for that wonderful report. I'd never really thought of it the way you put it....all those veggies in one glass...but you're right. Anything "fibery" gets my CD all riled up and causes me a lot of pain so this way I can get the nutrients without the fiber.

I also like the idea of more energy. I'm recovering from a month-long flare and am soooo tired. And so tired of being tired.

Edited to add....Hope, do you save your juice in the refrig or drink it all at once or sip throughout the day?
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Hope

Hi again Partlycloudy,

You're very welcome! You can get a decent juicer for about $100. I have the Jack Lalane Stainless Steel Juicer. Its so easy to use and is perfect for what i need it to do. Start on it, but start slowly, have half a glass then progress to a full glass once you feel it out. It is so wonderful--you will see!!

They say once you have juiced everything, the nutrients are full and avaliable for the first 15 minutes, so that is when they advise to consume the juice. I drink it as soon as I juice it. That is the best way. You can drink in the morning, or I typically juice while dinner is cooking and have a glass just before dinner or during. I only juice one glass at a time.

You may not want too much fruit though. The sugar content of fruit when juiced is quite high, (which may give you (or increase your Diarea), so I typically Juice all veggies, and only add a apple and pear. Usually only 2 fruits to about 4-5 veggie ratio. It is fantastic, no skins, no seeds -no fibre so it is def crohn's friendly!

You will def feel and reap all of the benefits of juicing! It has worked wonders for me and I am sure it will for you as well! I even got my friends hooked on it and they dont even have crohns! We all love it!!

If you need any more tips/advice--I am here anytime!
01-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Hope

Hi AndiGirl, I am glad this thread has also helped you!!
Perhaps you can invest in a juicer and start!!!
It really worked for me!
01-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the info, Hope. I already have a juicer. It's not the one you have but is a good one (don't remember the name of it) that is very sturdy. I used to juice quite a bit years ago. My favorite was apples and lemons to make kind of natural lemonade. Have you tried that? Yum!

Hubs is home today so I think I'll get him to get the juicer out of storage.
01-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Miss Spencer

Anyone juice as a supplement?
Yes.

I swear by it. I drink 2 Ė 3 cups every day.

One of the most excellent beneficial things I have ever done for UC.

I have found it best to stick to vegetable juices, and avoid fruit.

If you must have fruit, then use it minimally as a natural sweetener in a vegetable juice mix, rather than having plain all fruit juice.

Years ago I read about water fasting for helping UC. I tried it and hated it. Only lasted 24 hours. But have discovered that I can juice fast for 7 days. So if I have a particularly bad flare, I will cease eating solid fibrous food and juice fast instead.

It is the same principle as water fasting, except you are still taking in nutrients from the juice.

Most vegetable juices can be drunk straight. But some strong vegetables like broccoli or cabbage or beetroot may need to be diluted in the first few months, until you are use to it. I use watermelon or water to dilute if need be. As you get use to these stronger flavours, you can start to drink them undiluted.

I never drink bottled juice or juice from a carton, as it is too acidic. Not to mentioned a pointless waste of time, as the nutrients were destroyed during the pasturing process.

I ate too much chocolate yesterday and have pain today, so I am now doing a 24 hour juice fast to help my bowels rest and recover.

Best of all, vegetable juices are yummy. So it is a pleasure to do, rather than a chore.

From reading your other updated post, looks like you are enjoying juicing too.

Last edited by Miss Spencer; 02-01-2011 at 02:02 AM.
01-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Miss Spencer

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about all that carrot stuff to get rid of.
Easy Peasy:

1) It is absolutely brilliant for compost heaps. Breaks down very quickly and you will be left with a very healthy vegetable matter enriched soil.

2) Or you can simply throw it on top of the soil in the garden and it acts as a mulch that helps to stop weed growth.

3) If you donít have access to a home garden, then give it to a local community gardening group.

4) Or throw it on the grass in your local park, as it will soon naturally break down.

5) Vegetable fibre can be mixed into your pets food to help with their bowels. Both my dogs and cat have carrot or pumpkin fibre mixed in with their raw meat. I have noticed they spend less time straining when passing bowel movements, since I started to do this last year.

6) Do you have a family member who likes carrot cake. If so, give them the carrot fibre to add to the cake.

7) Do you know someone who keeps chickens. If so, give them the vegetable fibre as an addition to the grain feed.

8) You can freeze the pulp and use it later in cooking, or give it to a family member to do the same. Goes well in stocks, stews, lasagnes, soups etc...

9) If you have a dehydrator, you can make veggie and flax seed crackers by using the left over juice fibre.

10) Badgers, possums, wombats and other animals, love vegetables. And they often struggle with food sources in winter. I throw juicing fibre straight onto the grass in the garden and it is eaten overnight by the local wild animals. Our local bird population seems very partial to carrot fibre. Some fish in rivers / ponds may eat it too.

11) If you don't want fibre threads all over your lawn. Dig a small hole each evening and bury a days worth of fibre in soil. Again, it will break down naturally and enrich your soil. Orange peel takes ages to break down but most wildlife are fond of wax-free organic orange peel. But most people with UC & C will need to avoid citrus, so this may not be an issue for you. I am fine with orange, lemon and lime juice, and the wildlife eat the organic peel.

I have been juicing for a while now and have never once put the fibre into the garbage bin. It is always utilised in some way, either by my family, neighbours, by mother nature in the garden or by wild local animals.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Last edited by Miss Spencer; 02-01-2011 at 02:56 AM.
01-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Anyone else have any other suggestions?
I'd say you just about covered it Miss Spencer
01-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Miss Spencer, thank you for those suggestions. I particularly like the idea of using juice during a flare as I do need to fast but get so weak. And I love the idea of feeding the wild animals with the leftover pulp.
01-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Pwndkake
Hark! A Lurker!

I've just started juicing within the past week. My aunt got a BOGO deal on the Jack Lalane juicer and gave me the other one because of my Crohn's. I read an article a few years ago about fresh cabbage juice helping CD, but am only on Day 3 of doing a mix of 8oz cabbage juice and 4oz apple juice to kind of help the taste. Right now I do one glass of the cabbage juice mix in the morning, then later in the day I'll do an 8oz glass of apple/celery or something. So far, no problems.

The only complaints I have are that the cabbage juice kind of gives you a bit of an afterburn in your throat, and the juicer is kind of a pain to keep clean.

'Nerdy Twit' is an anagram for 'Trendy Wit'
01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
hindyg

Whenever I am flaring - juices are what keep me going. I just switched over from an all liquid diet to a soft/low res diet. I am still on juices. I need my veggies some way. Even a V8 works for me. It fills me up and has some good stuff packed in. I often go to places like Jamba Juice for a good combo. I haven't invested in a juicer. I think my husband would kill me if I bought another kitchen appliance, but it is tempting these days when I can't eat raw fruit and veggies.
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Pwn, cleaning juicers is a common complaint. Getting a decent sized veggie brush helps a lot. I just rinse the components then hit the shredder blade thing (whatever it's called) with the veggie brush under running water to get all the stuff out.

I'd like to find a spot on the counter for mine that's convenient. I think I may have to move the hub's coffee pot, which he won't like.

Yeah, Hindy, that's why I started too...I can't eat veggies, even cooked.
02-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #20
Miss Spencer

I use watermelon or water to dilute
I forgot to mention - only use watermelon sparingly, or avoid if you are really flaring.

Better to dilute with still-filtered water if you have to.
02-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #21
Miss Spencer

cleaning juicers is a common complaint. Getting a decent sized veggie brush helps a lot.
Getting a decent good quality juicer helps even more.

Mine cost around £250.00 and is brilliant. We use it several times a day, every single day of the year, and we even take it on holiday with us!

I have timed myself for my juicer: pulling apart, washing, and putting back together again, takes just over 60 seconds. If I am feeling really lazy, I just let it soak overnight and rinse it off in the morning. Either way, minimal cleaning effort required on my part. My juicer came with a cleaning brush that looks like a toothbrush, and that is all I use in warm water.

If your juicer is too hard and fiddly to clean, you will abandon the juicing idea very quickly, as I did with my old cheap juicer.

Juicing really is the only thing that helps me during a flare. Thank god I discovered it, it really has been a life saver for me over the last few years.
02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
fromthegut

I was too sick and too tired to eating and buy veggies. I bought low sodium V8 and it was good. For me it's about baby steps. It filled me up and I felt like I was eating parts of the food guideline.
the other thing I found with gas is that I need some relaxation time. If I am constantly busy or stresssed or around negativity that will make my falre illness worse. I recently disconnected my answering amchine. I have amother who is very needy and gossipy right now. She was calling em 3 tiems a day. I couldn't even stand to hear her voice anymore. I cancelled my answering machine. I jsut felt I had nothign to give to ehr or anyone else. It seemed to be everyone who called or left a message needed soemthign from em. I jsut didn't have it to give. Also there's a few people in my lfie who don't live ery healthy... drugs, alcohol, overspend, overwork and people please beyond what they can handle. It is really nice to withdraw. I cand give myself what I need or get it somewhere. A nice massage yesterday is helping me detox. I now notice that chemicals are really bad for me.
02-10-2011, 05:13 AM   #23
endibd
Banned

I was too sick and too tired to eating and buy veggies. I bought low sodium V8 and it was good. For me it's about baby steps. It filled me up and I felt like I was eating parts of the food guideline.
Don't waste your time with canned vegetables, anything beneficial is long gone. It's dead matter thats been sitting in a can for months or years before you drink it. Yummy.

It's not that hard to make your own like the previous poster said, and the difference is night and day, and you will feel the difference.

If you go that route, save yourself money and aggravation and get yourself a "masticating" juicer - huge difference between that and the juicers on informercials. The juice from the juicers on infomercials is watery and foamy and any solids separate from the water after about 30 seconds, and it spoils almost immediately. They also don't juice vegetables nearly as well as a masticating juicer. The juice from a masticating juicer is thicker and richer and doesn't separate the same way.

For bowel issues, go heavy on the carrot juice.

For it to have any effect in most people, you're going to need at LEAST 1 Litre of fresh juice a day, up to several Litres.

Last edited by endibd; 02-10-2011 at 05:32 AM.
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I'm considering getting one of those masticating juicers. I've been researching and see the benefits. I can't imagine juice tasting any better.

I read carrot juice is good for diarrhea and have noticed this in myself. It does seem to provide a solidifying action.
02-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #25
endibd
Banned

I'm considering getting one of those masticating juicers. I've been researching and see the benefits. I can't imagine juice tasting any better.

I read carrot juice is good for diarrhea and have noticed this in myself. It does seem to provide a solidifying action.
What kind of juicer do you have now? One of the centrifugal pulp ejectors?

I can tell you with a masticating juicer, you will get way more out of greens like parsley and spinach, the juices will just gel together and you won't really have layers and its a thicker more rich tasting juice, not a lot of that foamy stuff and none of that watery separation after 10 seconds of sitting. It will separate but takes much longer.

Some things like tomato come out a little more pulpy, and for really juicy fruit like pineapple it's on par and not necessarily better than the centrifugal juicers, but for vegetables hard and especially leafy, it's night and day. And it cleans up pretty quick.

I can actually put it in a thermos and at lunch it tastes like it did in the morning, though I don't recommend storing it.

Feeding through the juicer may be a little slower, but not much. That is the one benefit of the centrifugal with the wide mouth, feeding large things. I would say end to end, setup, prep and cleanup the masticating or 'slow juicer' is the same as the wide mouth centrifugal, it's just a different pace of preparation and cleaning.

I use one of the omega 8000 series juicers and it's great. I had the other kind and still do as a backup but much prefer the Omega and only use that juicer.
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Endibd, I have a Hamilton Beach centrifugal juicer. I've had to back off juicing at the moment as I had a mild attack last week. I'm almost certain it wasn't the juice but something else but just want eliminate as much as possible then re-introduce juice to be certain. My point is, until I know for certain I can handle juicing I don't want to spend the money for a masticating juicer.

Once I know I can handle it (the juice) I'm going to get one. I have a friend who has a Green Star and loves it.

Thanks for the info. That's really interesting that you can bring it for lunch. Wow!
02-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #27
endibd
Banned

My point is, until I know for certain I can handle juicing.
I'm curuious why you would think that you can't handle vegetable juice? It's the stuff inside natural foods that your body extracts from it as it goes through digestion.

I would love to know what you feel is more safe to eat than vegetable juice.
02-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #28
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I'm curuious why you would think that you can't handle vegetable juice?
Rather than the juice, I'm fairly certain it was the yard work and heavy house cleaning I did in anticipation of company coming as that's known to flare me (the bending over a lot part).

And I'd been juicing for a couple of weeks without problems prior to the work.

However, both juicing and that work were two things I was doing differently in those few weeks, so I can't be certain which caused it.

I've eliminated both. Next week when I'm back to normal I'll start juicing again but no heavy physical labor.

I just came out of a six-week flare so am being extra paranoid.
02-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #29
Miss Spencer

As endibd said: Don't waste your time with canned vegetables.

However, a V8 would be better for you than a can of coke.

Canned / bottled juices are really a gimmicky junk food. So don't kidd yourself about eating parts of the food guideline.

That is like eating a McDonald's burger and believing you are eating parts of the food guideline because it had one slice of tomato or lettuce or gherkin in it!

Bottled / canned juices have been pasteurised and so all the vital nutrients are destroyed during that process. Then often sugar and preservatives are added, to ensure a long shelf life.

It is basically dead matter that has been sitting in a can for months or years before you drink it. The beneficial nutrients truly are long gone.

To get any benefit from juicing, you need to freshly prepare the juice yourself by putting a vegetable through a juicer. Juice starts to oxidise within 15 minutes of juicing, so you also need to drink the juice immediately.

A freshly prepared juice is considered a live or living juice / a bottled, carton or canned juice is considered a dead juice.

I understand about taking baby steps and having no energy, but dead juice won't help in the long run.
02-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
endibd
Banned

That is like eating a McDonald's burger and believing you are eating parts of the food guideline because it had one slice of tomato or lettuce or gherkin in it!
That's a great analogy.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Veggies are out....what about juicing?