Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Veggies are out....what about juicing?

02-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #31
Miss Spencer

I've had to back off juicing at the moment as I had a mild attack last week. I'm almost certain it wasn't the juice
The only way it would be the juice is if you went to gung-ho and juiced something that is considered hard core (i.e.) oranges, cabbage, garlic, broccoli, beetroot or too much fruit.

These are all fine to juice, but you must build up slowly to them.

I started off with things like carrots, celery and cucumber. Things like celery are calming to the digestive system.

And introduced minimal amounts of hard core stuff much later

Last year I had a flare that was brought on by stress; I recovered from the flare by a liquid diet: only vegetable juice fasting and water fasting over a five day period.

I suggest buying the following two books:

1) Raw Juices Can Save Your Life by Sandra Cabot
2) Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices by Dr. Norman Walker

You can pick them both up very cheaply on Amazon, less than $5.00 each.

They both explain the therapeutic value of fresh vegetable juices in detail, and the one by Sandra Cabot contains some good recipes.

Hope you feel better soon.
02-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I agree, Miss Spencer, and you both are probably right. As I said, I'm almost certain it's the yard work. I was actually tempted to make some juice last night (carrot/celery) but am so paranoid after my extra long flare. I'd read (or maybe you said it earlier?) that celery is calming. I know it's a good anti-nausea food based on personal experience.

Anyway, thank you. I am feeling much better and plan to resume juicing Monday.
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #33
Miss Spencer

For it to have any effect in most people, you're going to need at LEAST 1 Litre of fresh juice a day, up to several Litres.
Yes, in the first 6 - 12 months, I was drinking at LEAST 1 litre of fresh vegetable juice a day. Often 2 litres per day and even more when juice fasting.

I tapered off in later years because my UC and energy levels had improved so much.

I now just juice for maintenance and enjoyment, around 250mls - 500mls a day.

Just realised that I have now been officially juicing every single day for 3 years. I did juice before that but not every day. Now it is just an ingrained part of my daily life, like having a shower and brushing my teeth.
02-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #34
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I must be in really bad shape if my two cups a day was making me feel better. Yeesh.
02-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #35
Miss Spencer

I can't imagine juice tasting any better.
Well you are in for a big shock and a pleasant surprise.

There is a humongous difference in taste, between using a centrifugal juicer and a non-centrifugal juicer.

If you then try juicing all certified organic vegetables in a non-centrifugal, you will be in for a bigger shock and an even more pleasant surprise.

Nowadays I only ever juice certified organic carrots, as they are usually rich and creamy in taste.

I find non-organic carrots to be a bit nondescript, a bit watery and can sometimes be a bit bitter. I can drink them if I have to, but I prefer not to.

Certified organic / biodynamic is a personal choice, not a must do.

However, organic contains many more nutrients, which is hugely beneficial for UC & C. Plus the taste is orgasmic!

Have fun experimenting.
02-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #36
Miss Spencer

I must be in really bad shape if my two cups a day was making me feel better. Yeesh.
2 cups = 500mls - still very good.

And better than a slap in the face with a wet fish!

The more you drink, the more improvement you have and the quicker you have it.

No hard or fast rules though. As long as you have at least one cup every day, it will certainly help.

But to really assist on a deep healing level, you may need more. Especially if your diet has been lacking for years.

Most people who are "seriously" juicing are juicing for health. People with UC & C donít absorb nutrients from their food correctly, so most of us are deficient to begin with.

The juice will help to rectify this situation, which in turn will help with energy levels and a whole host of other things. And if you are flaring, then juice is the only way to avoid eating things that will upset you, whilst still taking in vital nutrients.

Have a read of those two books I suggested, they really will help.
02-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #37
endibd
Banned

2 cups = 500mls - still very good.

And better than a slap in the face with a wet fish!

The more you drink, the more improvement you have and the quicker you have it.

No hard or fast rules though. As long as you have at least one cup every day, it will certainly help.

But to really assist on a deep healing level, you may need more. Especially if your diet has been lacking for years.

Most people who are "seriously" juicing are juicing for health. People with UC & C donít absorb nutrients from their food correctly, so most of us are deficient to begin with.

The juice will help to rectify this situation, which in turn will help with energy levels and a whole host of other things. And if you are flaring, then juice is the only way to avoid eating things that will upset you, whilst still taking in vital nutrients.

Have a read of those two books I suggested, they really will help.
The Walker book is like the bible on juicing! There's actually a page in there where he describes free radicals causing cancer and disease. He doesn't call them free radicals, he refers to them as unhealthy cells that break free and float around the body, before they finally group together and start to form masses of unhealthy matter inside your body and are the basis for many disease.

Today there's all kinds of talk on free radicals, anti oxidants etc. and he laid it all out almost 80 years ago from his understanding of health - and provided a solution to them!

The book was written in the 30's originally, the free radical cancer concept started to surface in the mid 50's in the scientific community.

Walker based his writings on observations made over the years, human physiology, and things he had seen and stories he had heard, and people he had helped.

It is amazing how bang on he is on so many things from so long ago, and equally amazing how much of that kind of knowledge was discounted and cast aside, then artificial remedies created for so many things that have perfectly natural solutions.

On a side note talking about juicing legends, RIP Jack Lalane. Dude died healthy and happy at almost 100.
02-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #38
Miss Spencer

The Walker book is like the bible on juicing!
Yes, I agree.

The book got me onto carrot juice for UC and the rest is history.

Carrot juice is the best thing ever for my UC, settles me right down if I am flaring.

On a different note, I did not like the 80 10 10 book you mentioned earlier. Dr. Douglas Graham and his followers are a bit too radical and hard core for my liking. But on the other hand, I quite like the book The New High Energy Diet Recipe Guide by Dr. Douglas Graham, it is a very simple guide. The Figgy Pie on page 140 is yum.
02-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #39
endibd
Banned

Yes, I agree.

The book got me onto carrot juice for UC and the rest is history.

Carrot juice is the best thing ever for my UC, settles me right down if I am flaring.

On a different note, I did not like the 80 10 10 book you mentioned earlier. Dr. Douglas Graham and his followers are a bit too radical and hard core for my liking. But on the other hand, I quite like the book The New High Energy Diet Recipe Guide by Dr. Douglas Graham, it is a very simple guide. The Figgy Pie on page 140 is yum.
I think hard core as a description for a good percentage of followers of the 80 10 10 is pretty accurate. Almost obsessive.

I look at things more like what is the biggest bang for the buck, whereas the 80 10 10 people are obsessive about very very strictly following their diet to almost insane standards, but ironically I find often to the detriment of the standards they are trying to adhere to. They're following the diet but a lot of them don't seem too bright in their interpretations of it. I've followed quite a few of those movements for quite a while in terms of learning what they're all about.

I've also found there's a movement of people in the 80 10 10 realm that seem to be exercise freaks, and I don't think that's healthy. Personally I think a lot of them have issues and get off on the high / euphoria of a calorie restrictive diet and endorphins from exercise.

The biggest idea in the 80 10 10 that I totally agree with, is that we can live pretty much on fruit as a primary source of energy as opposed to starches. It is extremely tough to eat that much food though to get enough calories, especially if you have a physically damaged gut.

But with all that said, I think if you are in a diseased state, and you did disappear to some island and at nothing but fresh fruit all the time and exercised all day to find and haul around your food, like some of the extremists, that you would get well.

Last edited by endibd; 02-12-2011 at 09:05 AM.
02-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #40
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I would love to juice, but definitely don't have the money to invest in a quality juicer. Not to mention the cost of produce can be pricey as well (especially the organic, which I miss!). Anyone have a clue if crop shares (CSAs) are in general "cheaper" than buying produce every week. I've been thinking about it lately. My husband and I spend about $30 (conservatively) on produce a week. I imagine the price of a crop share would equal out over the span of a season. And I've heard the abundance of produce you get from crop shares is crazy.

Anyone have any experience with those? I know this isn't exactly on the topic of juicing, but could relate. Thanks!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #41
Astra

My Support Groups:
I'm really interested too, especially cos I'm getting concerned now with the low residue diet, it works, but in the long term not very healthy. Too much refined flour for a start.
With Summer coming up, I want to change my diet to fresh veg, fruits and salads. I can eat lettuce, tomato and cucumber with no problems.
I have a smoothie maker but I think it would die with rough stuff like carrots!
I can't afford an expensive one at the mo, maybe a second hand one?
One question I'm confused with
Do you peel these veg? Is the fibre in the peel?
Are you sure that juicy veg won't cause diarrhea? Cos I can't eat veg, gives me the runs.
Can I still eat fish and chicken in between juices? I dont eat red meat.
Or is it just juices all day only and no solid food?
Confused!
Cheers xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

02-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #42
endibd
Banned

I'm really interested too, especially cos I'm getting concerned now with the low residue diet, it works, but in the long term not very healthy. Too much refined flour for a start.
With Summer coming up, I want to change my diet to fresh veg, fruits and salads. I can eat lettuce, tomato and cucumber with no problems.
I have a smoothie maker but I think it would die with rough stuff like carrots!
I can't afford an expensive one at the mo, maybe a second hand one?
One question I'm confused with
Do you peel these veg? Is the fibre in the peel?
Are you sure that juicy veg won't cause diarrhea? Cos I can't eat veg, gives me the runs.
Can I still eat fish and chicken in between juices? I dont eat red meat.
Confused!
Cheers xxx
You can't live on just juice. So it's juice and food. I think of it as a vitamin supplement. The way some people on here drink those drinks to put on weight, or body builders drink their protein powder. I believe you're way farther ahead to make sure your body has what it should have, nutrient wise, had you been eating a natural diet.

Most vegetable juice shouldn't cause the runs - they can actually be used to slow down the bowel. Or to speed it up. Carrot is good for slowing things down.

Some of the chemicals in some vegetables can stimulate the peristaltic action of the gut, but if it does do that (if that's what you need or are looking for and want to target with certain vegetables or fruits) it's not in a harsh way like a laxative that irritates you like all that chemical garbage.

And when it stops the runs, it doesn't stop them by paralyzing the gut with chemicals like the other drugs, it does it in a natural way by restoring balance to that peristaltic natural rhythm through natural regulation of the nervous system.

You don't peel anything, just has to be narrow enough to fit through the feeder tube and that's it the only requirement.

If you're into the coconut oil thing that some people on here seem to be, you can make coconut cream with it too.

There's all kinds of videos on youtube.

You can get a good juicer for around $300, a little less or a little more, but they're all the same class and a world above the $149 juicers. I have experience with the omega and really like them, but there are other masticating juicers from other companies.

If you only have a little to spend, only spend a little. You can get a jack lalane juicer for around $99 if you look around. It is actually very good at carrots and celery, and apple, it does them really quickly.

The one's you'll probably see second hand the most are the cheaper juicers.
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #43
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Astra, I also see my juicing like a vitamin supplement that I add in addition to my food since I too can't eat most veggies. Even the hubs, who's a big protein shake guy, has me juicing for him too. It just makes sense that fresh veg juice is good for you and that you can get massive amounts of nutrients in a glass of juice compared to the amount of solid veg you'd have to eat.

I've seen those LaLane $99 juicers on Amazon. I'm not sure about Amazon UK though. It's be a great juicer to try if you're just not sure about it all.

I've never gotten D from juicing and in fact have experienced carrot juice helping my D. I've stuck to carrot, apple, celery, and cucumber pretty much. My understanding is those are all mild veggies. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dreamin, I don't bother with organic as it's too expensive around here. Ridiculously so. I'm improving my diet to such an extent by adding juice that I'm content with that. As for crop shares, the one we have around here is quite expensive IMHO. I looked into it and decided against it. I suppose each region is different. You might consider the LaLane juicer mentioned above though depending on your budget. You still go through a lot of veggies juicing though so if you can actually EAT them I'd stick to eating. I'm juicing because I can't digest the fiber well.

Although, I must say they taste better juiced.
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #44
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Just wanted to say thanks for the book suggestions too. I did pay attention to them despite not responding.

I've started juicing again today, a day early. Yum yum yum yum.
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #45
Astra

My Support Groups:
Thanks guys!

I've looked at juicers online, they are expensive but I think it would be a great investment.
I was confused with the juicing process, now I get it!
The machine takes out all the pulp, unlike a blender or smoothie maker.
I feel really well at the mo, but still have D most days, which is normal for me, but juicing as a supp makes sense to me now, instead of multi vits and supps in tablet form.
And I can still eat solid food which is good, cos I thought it was just juice all day long!
02-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #46
endibd
Banned

I've never gotten D from juicing and in fact have experienced carrot juice helping my D. I've stuck to carrot, apple, celery, and cucumber pretty much. My understanding is those are all mild veggies. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know about hardcore vs. not but I think those juices have more of a soothing and healing impact on the body.

Some juices really aggressively break down food trapped in the gut that is undigested matter. It's sitting there rotting anyway very slowly causing its own issues in your body, and the juice of certain things can initiate a more immediate chemical reaction as they immediately start to break those things down.

I like the flavour and effect they have and the carrot and celery is at the core of most of what I juice. I've found parsley is great too, it's a super healing herb and give the juice a nice smell and flavour. The minerals in it also has a regulatory affect on the nerves and unconscious functions like the action of the bowels.

The nutrients in different vegetables are useful at regulating various things in the body, and can be used to target different functions as desired. I've found celery and carrot great as a base for digestive issues and gut maintenance.
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #47
endibd
Banned

Dreamin, I don't bother with organic as it's too expensive around here. Ridiculously so. I'm improving my diet to such an extent by adding juice that I'm content with that. As for crop shares, the one we have around here is quite expensive IMHO. I looked into it and decided against it. I suppose each region is different. You might consider the LaLane juicer mentioned above though depending on your budget. You still go through a lot of veggies juicing though so if you can actually EAT them I'd stick to eating. I'm juicing because I can't digest the fiber well.

Although, I must say they taste better juiced.
I have a different opinion depending how you're eating your vegetables vs juicing.

Organic vs. non organic...I agree the difference between consuming and not consuming vegetables is like 98% of the difference and going organic would be that extra 2%. Personally I don't unless the organic stuff is on sale or all I can find.

Eating vs juicing - if you're eating canned or cooked, I would say juicing fresh is beneficial. You need fibre and if that's your source of fibre great, and wouldn't hurt to add juicing, you're getting a ton of stuff in fresh uncooked fruits and vegetables that gets destroyed when you cook things. That's a huge reason why I juice, I can't eat that much raw stuff in a day, and raw is much better than cooked.
02-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #48
endibd
Banned

Thanks guys!

I've looked at juicers online, they are expensive but I think it would be a great investment.
I was confused with the juicing process, now I get it!
The machine takes out all the pulp, unlike a blender or smoothie maker.
I feel really well at the mo, but still have D most days, which is normal for me, but juicing as a supp makes sense to me now, instead of multi vits and supps in tablet form.
And I can still eat solid food which is good, cos I thought it was just juice all day long!
If you have the runs, carrot juice in some combinations like with spinach, or even alone, can likely slow things down if the # of times a day you go is an issue, and maybe help give you more control (if not alleviating it altogether) if those things are an issue for you.
02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #49
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:

Eating vs juicing - if you're eating canned or cooked, I would say juicing fresh is beneficial. You need fibre and if that's your source of fibre great, and wouldn't hurt to add juicing, you're getting a ton of stuff in fresh uncooked fruits and vegetables that gets destroyed when you cook things. That's a huge reason why I juice, I can't eat that much raw stuff in a day, and raw is much better than cooked.

Yes, I agree. I miss the actual eating of veggies, which is where my mindset was when I posted. That and addressing the poster's cost concerns.
02-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #50
Miss Spencer

Do you peel these veg? Is the fibre in the peel? Are you sure that juicy veg won't cause diarrhea? Cos I can't eat veg, gives me the runs.
You donít need to peel, unless you want to. A good quality juicer will remove the 99.9% of the fibre.

Good quality juicers normally come with a fine sieve, so you can filter the juice again before you drink it.

I put the vegetables through the juicer and then sieve the juice again. I donít really need to do this, but if I am flaring I do just to be 100% sure of pure liquid.

If you are juice fasting for a flare, then yes, it is juice all day with no solid food.

But I drink juice every day as part of my daily diet. For example, I donít drink coffee in the morning, I have carrot juice or celery juice instead.

Best to read some books on juicing before you start. That Dr Norman Walker book mentioned earlier is a good starting point.
02-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #51
Miss Spencer

I also see my juicing like a vitamin supplement that I add in addition to my food since I too can't eat most veggies.
Same here.

Juicing is so much better than taking manmade supplements.

Given most UC & C people donít absorb nutrients properly from solid food, the juice gets straight into your bloodstream and gets to work immediately and will help you build up your levels of nutrients. It will take around three months of daily juice consumption to do this, depending on how depleted you are to begin with.

Green juices are especially good for IBD but you will need to start on these slowly and build up your tolerance.

Most people are use to fruit juicing, but few have experience with vegetable juicing, so these new things take time to get use to.

When I first tried plain carrot juice I absolutely detested it BUT it was fabulous for calming down a flare, so I endured. Now I absolutely adore the stuff and it is a pleasure to drink.

If you have a sweet tooth like I did, vegetable juices may take some getting use to.

Don't drink bottled juice, it must be freshly prepared only. And consumed within 15 mins of juicing, unless you have a top quality juicer. The juice from my juicer can last for 32 hours in the fridge in an airtight sealed glass container. But I never do this. I always prepare and drink it fresh to ensure none of the nutrients are lost.

Wheatgrass is good for bowel issues but ONLY try this after you have been juicing for a while, as it is pretty potent. You will also need a top quality juicer for wheatgrass.

Just having a carrot juice now. As hurt my bowels yesterday by eating a mint lozenge of all things.

Last edited by Miss Spencer; 02-16-2011 at 02:29 AM.
02-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #52
Miss Spencer

I don't bother with organic as it's too expensive around here.
I mainly juice organic, as I think it tastes better.

Pretty cheap in my area from local farmers markets. Plus I grow my own pesticide-free produce in my garden.

I am not a complete nazi about it, but there are certain items that I absolutely insist *must* be organic. Check out the Dirty Dozen for your area.

Often topping the DD list for pesticides are things like: celery, spinach, peaches, apples, blueberries, strawberries.

If I canít get organic spinach and celery, then I go without.

It is said that a top quality juicer will remove many of the pesticides anyway in the waste fibre. Another good reason for investing in a good juicer.

Anyway, you can only do what you can do.
02-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #53
endibd
Banned

Green juices are especially good for IBD but you will need to start on these slowly and build up your tolerance.
Spinach is great. So is kale.
02-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #54
Rebecca85

What I don't get is, if the juice is absorbed straight into the bloodstream, how does it affect your bowels? Like carrot is supposed to slow things down, how if it's been absorbed before it gets there?

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
02-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #55
endibd
Banned

What I don't get is, if the juice is absorbed straight into the bloodstream, how does it affect your bowels? Like carrot is supposed to slow things down, how if it's been absorbed before it gets there?
That's how your body works. You eat, it gets into your blood, and once it's in your blood it gets used by your body.

Not everything is topical, in fact almost nothing is except some medications.

How does an asprin stop pain in your elbow when you eat it? It gets absorbed into your blood stream, and is then available to provide your body with a chemical that your body then uses to stop the pain.

Juices are absorbed, and the nutrients and everything in it is used by your body to regulate and heal itself. There are all kinds of compounds in vegetables, that are healing and regulatory in the body. Your body knows what to do with it - your body's whole job is to maintain and repair and sustain itself, it's all it does.

Crazy concept I know - your body healing from within. But that's what happens, that's what your body is designed to do, but we get so far from that truth, in the advice we get and the pills we are told to pop.
02-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #56
Rebecca85

And why do you have to go slowly with green juices at first?
02-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #57
endibd
Banned

And why do you have to go slowly with green juices at first?
It's a matter of taste more than anything I've found from personal experience (and your body's natural reation to bad tasting things). But once it's in your stomach you should be fine. Juice a glass of nothing but leafy greens and try to drink it, and you will see what I mean.

There are some vegetables, maybe some greens I'm not sure, that can induce some things in the body, like beets can cause the liver to release toxins they have accumulated over the years (ie liver cleanse) so you might not want to drink a litre of beet juice.

Greens for the most part are pretty good. Things like cabbage can cause gas so for that reason might want to go easy and not drink a litre of that having never drank that before.

Last edited by endibd; 02-16-2011 at 11:08 AM.
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #58
Rebecca85

Why does cabbage juice cause gas? Sorry about all the questions!
02-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #59
endibd
Banned

Why does cabbage juice cause gas? Sorry about all the questions!
Because of the process of breaking down food in the gut. Something about the type of gas caused by the reaction that happens, that cabbage promotes with the breakdown of undigested foods. I forget off hand which gas or what reaction, but that's why.
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #60
Rebecca85

But the cabbage isn't there in the gut to breakdown the undigested food, because you said the juice gets absorbed instantly.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Veggies are out....what about juicing?