Share Facebook

03-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Leslie

SCD Diet?

I've started the Specific Carb Diet five days ago. I've known people who had great results with it and no longer have flare ups. Is anyone trying it? My trigger foods tend to be high fiber which makes me question the sanity of all this. I've felt very sick the last two days and my gut is going crazy. However, looking around on the internet this would be considered a "die off" period where the bad bacteria are being staved out. Anyone been there?
03-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
goofyrn2

My Support Groups:
I am considering starting the SCD diet. There is a book out there based on this diet. I will let you know how it works for me. You are the first person I have seen mention this diet. I also don't eat any beef. I stick to mostly proteins of chicken, fish, or very lean pork. I have problems with fat content in food so I look at that before it hits my lips. Hope this helps you as well.
Cindy
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Leslie

Cindy

So I figured it out. I was started on an antibiotic for crohn's that I need to eat a lot with to take it. That was causing all my problems. The diet was very difficult for me to stay full on because there was so many restrictions. So while I'm on meds I'm off the diet, maybe to revisit it later. I've read the book you are speaking of, “The Specific Carb Diet.” I have a friend who has a very severe case of crohn's and she says it worked wonders for her. I could hang with cutting out lactose and all sugars; it was cutting out carbs that really threw me. Good luck, it's very difficult but if it helps it's worth it.
03-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
goofyrn2

My Support Groups:
Thanks Leslie for your reply. I have restricted my diet quite a bit already with lactose free products, no high fiber bread or snacks, no raw fruit, no raw veggies, no caffine, no beef (only chicken, fish, and very lean pork), no rice, no processed breads, gosh I think I am down to the basic card board. LOL I'll still read the book and see what other suggestions are there. I don't have any sugar in my house or sugar products. I read labels carefully for their content including fat. I have a pancreatic problem along with the crohn's and I have both crohn's and UC. So the fat is out too. I live on lots of my own soups and make my own stock to be able to be convinced it is fat free. I do recommend, don't laugh, two flinstones vitamins a day. They are not hard on the gutt and they are yummy to boot. Eatting out...well thats an adventure all on its own.
03-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Leslie

Cindy

I'm so sorry you have both UC and Crohn's. One is enough! It sounds like you are half way there with the diet. The book gets very specific about somethings but if you are cooking at home a lot already maybe you won't have as much difficulty as I did. I work a lot and my job has us doing working lunches every day. I tried to make special requests off the menu but the diet got so specific about no cheating. It was difficult to know what the meats where marinated in or other hidden things like that. I'm not organized enough to take my lunch . I wish you more luck then I had!
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
David in Seattle

I tried the diet for close to a year, I personally did not notice a difference. I'm still undiagnosed, so YMMV. Here are a couple good sites on the subject http://www.scdrecipe.com/home/ http://www.scdiet.org/

Good luck, Leslie & Cindy.
03-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Leslie

Thanks David!
03-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Crohns08

I was on the SCD diet for awhile in combination with Pentasa and LDN when I had a mild case of crohn's disease. I was very strict with it and noticed amazing results. However I slacked off with it and went off the meds and now I have a moderate case and it seems the diet no longer helps. I'm now on a low residue diet in combination with humira. It's definitely worth a try though! It just depends on what foods you can tolerate. It seems certain crohnies do bad on carbs while others have issues with fiber or fats or proteins.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Katiejohnsonwriter

I'm just beginning to work with the Specific Carb Diet. Doing lots of reading, watching Youtube videos on the topic/recipes really helps too. I cut out sugars quite awhile ago. I'm carefully logging everything I eat to see what the results are from day to day.

Last week I had 4 PERFECT days with no pain, no diarrhea for the first time in years. It was awesome! Then had a bowl of oatmeal and ow, ow, ow. I'm learning what loves me vs what I love.

Diagnosed with Crohn's December of 2009
Weight Loss Blog:http://fitlivingdaily.wordpress.com
Other blog: http://katiejohnsonwriter.com
Twitter: @fitlivingdaily

Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1143948200
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I got the book yesterday and am going to give this a try. After reading the book and looking at recipes online I see it's not nearly as restrictive as I'd originally thought when I investigated it last year.

Fortunately the foods I handle well are in the main diet and the things that give me problems are things you add slowly anyway.

My CD has also begun to worsen slightly so I figure now is the time to try this rather than going on more powerful meds or whatever awfulness the next step would be.
03-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
bikebiddlah

My Support Groups:
gonna give it a try to. the theory seems sensible (complex carbohydrates remain undigested in gut causing overgrowth of harmful bacteria and other issues) although I cannot speak the the scientific credibility of this theory. desperatly looking for some control over this lame disease. cimzia had gotten me off the pred, but still having some ups and downs significant enough to keep me from typical daily activities.
03-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
becca38

"Healing Foods" Cooking for Celiacs, Colitis, Crohns and IBS is a great resource for SCD. I have not had any personal benefit from the prgram but I a have had some great simple meal ideas. The pics look so yummy it is enough to get me inspired to try new recipies here and there.
03-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
JetWhite

I have only recently heard about SCD http://www.scduk.co.uk/default.htm and from the limited info I've seen it looks rather difficult to maintain

Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis October 2009

Azathioprine 125mg/day (at night)
Asacol - 1200g 2 x day
Amiltriptyline 50mg/day gradually increasing
Predfoam for flare ups and more than I expected
Tramadol with paracetamol, more than I anticipated
Various daily supplements inc Multi-vits with iron
and watching what I consume

Sometimes : Pred tablets
Calcichew & Alendronic Acid ; Calcichew taste nice

I am so very glad to have joined the forum

Last edited by JetWhite; 03-17-2011 at 05:20 PM.
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Katiejohnsonwriter

So far, I'm incredibly happy with the diet. It's working so well for me. I gave up...gasp...coffee on Tuesday. That was a hard one, but I think in the long run it'll be good for me. Every new food that I find that I can eat without ensuing symptoms, makes me so happy. It sucks when I find something that gives me the runs-when I really, really want that food. But I want to not have the runs and exhaustion WAY more.
03-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I ordered the book off Amazon today. New to Bowel problems and have been trying low res. I wanted a book with recipes as I think I need ideas for interesting stuff to eat. It's hard being hungry and not really knowing what to eat. That's when I'm tempted to go for things that are at hand that I really shouldn't eat.
I have cut out caffeine, sugars and cheese as they do the most damage.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Katie, that's very encouraging and congratulations on feeling so much better. I've been working on decreasing my coffee for a few weeks now and should be off it completely shortly. That's when I'm going to start the SCD.

One thing that intrigues me is the suggestion to try it for a month and you should know by then if it'll work or not. No waiting around for months for improvement or not.

Tomorrow I'm going around locally to check out the dry curd cottage cheese situation.

I admit I'm pretty intimidated by giving up pasta and rice the most.
03-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
Katiejohnsonwriter

Partly cloudy, I know it's not the same, but I love spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement.

I was reading that you can make your own dry curd cottage cheese by just rinsing it really well and letting it air dry. Is that correct? Cottage cheese as it stands, runs right through me. (I'm still waiting for my "Breaking The Vicious Cycle" to arrive so I'm working off the info I get on the internet on the SCD.)
03-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I don't know on the dry curd, Katie. I've only read the book once so far. There's so much to absorb that I may have missed it if the author said anything about that technique. I'm in the process of reading it again and highlighting things. If I run across it I'll share.

I just spent a lot of time browsing pecanbread.com. Have you been? It's geared towards kids with autism but has a ton of organized info on SCD, including a nice chart on introducing foods. The book was a bit confusing to me, and this pecanbread site helped to clarify a lot of things.

I plan on trying spaghetti squash. I tried it years ago and didn't like it much, but I'll have a totally different perspective now.
03-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
Katiejohnsonwriter

Pecanbread Eh? I'll take a gander at it! Thanks
03-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #20
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I would've thought pasta and rice were OK but my stomach seems to find them a bit heavy, but that could be because of the narrowing I've been diagnosed with. My main concern is not being able to get a lot of stuff here. Our biggest 'supermarket' is a Co-op which would be classed as a corner shop on the mainland!
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
crohns5-0

I have the book and I'm going to make a commitment to start right away. I'm due for a ressection in May. A friend has had two surgeries and has been sypmtom free for 8 years while on the diet.....
03-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Good luck, Crohns5-0. You've got a good motivation with that upcoming surgery.

We should all support each other here. I'll be starting in about two weeks.
03-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
Katiejohnsonwriter

[QUOTE=Grumbletum;276379]I would've thought pasta and rice were OK..... "

Yep, no brown or white rice. It's interesting the things that aren't allowed. Still, I'm always full and satisfied on this diet and today when I came in from a 5 mile run with no worries about potty breaks, it reminds me again and again why I love this diet.

I keep the link to the legal/illegal list on my phone, bookmarked on Safari, so no matter I am, I can do a quick search to find out if it's an OK food I'm wanting to eat. I would post the link, but I guess I'm not allowed to post links until after I've written 15 messages. I'll post is soon though. Or maybe someone else could?

Last edited by Katiejohnsonwriter; 03-18-2011 at 03:47 PM.
03-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #24
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
That's a good idea about keeping the list on your phone. I was thinking I'd bring a paper list around with me but the phone is a better idea.

I scouted out our local health food stores this morning and did find almond flour but apparently dry curd cottage cheese is unheard of. They kept referring me to cheese curds, lol.
03-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
Katiejohnsonwriter

My paper list is like 26 pages long. So...not carrying that puppy around! I can't post links yet....soon, but I found this great video on it on Youtube. It's listed as "Dry Curd Cottage Cheese DCCC"
03-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Yes, great idea for the list on the phone. I'm sure I'll be able to get some stuff on the net. And can ask friends to send me 'red cross parcels' from the mainland. I think I'll start as soon as The book arrives. Might have to improvise for a bit, but hey it's a start. Good to have the company here too :-)
03-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #27
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I'll check that video out, thanks Katie. Did you determine that you could make it yourself then? That'd be nice!

Grumbletum, it must be tough not having a decent store. I was thinking of your situation today as I hunted for the cottage cheese.
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
DMS

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm
Here is the list for the legal / illegal stuff

The next website has some really good recipes
http://nomorecrohns.com/deliciousrecipes.aspx

My son has been on this diet for a year and a half, there are a few things that he eats now that are not on the diet - but very few. Although he misses bread and cereal, the fact that he has no stomach issues makes it easier to stay on (also the fact that his mother - me - is still doing the cooking for him :-)

Just a note about the yogurt - if you are going to be making it, expect a week of bad symptoms as your body gets rid of some bad bacteria.
Also, it is not necessary to buy a yogurt maker, in fact a lot of them overheat because they are not meant to be on for 24 hours.
I make the yogurt in a electric skillet - one with a temperature gage. After heating and cooling the milk, and then adding starter, I pour the milk into 2 casserole dishes (approximately 1.5 litres per dish) put in a thermometer and set the temperature gage where it will keep the thermometer at 105 - 110 degrees and then leave it for 24 hours.
When Mitch first started the diet he could not do any dairy, so we made the yogurt out of goats milk, he hated it, so we ended up dropping it and going to pill form of probiotics. Now he can do cheese, so we restarted the yogurt with cows milk and it has not been a problem.

Good luck to all who are trying it.
03-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #29
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement and links (the NoMoreCrohn's link is GREAT!), DMS. Congratulations on your son's wonderful results also.

That's good to know about the yogurt makers as I was considering buying one eventually. I'll just get an electric skillet instead.

Last edited by partlycloudy; 03-19-2011 at 10:46 AM.
03-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #30
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Regarding DIY dry curd cottage cheese, I did a bit of research on a couple of the SCD lists I've joined. You can make it yourself, but there are two things to watch out for. Number one is that it has to be made using enzymes, not just vinegar (using vinegar alone is a common method). Number two is that you skip the step of adding back in milk or cream at the end. That leaves it the "dry" curd cottage cheese rather than regular cottage cheese.

Needless to say I'm still checking locally.