Share Facebook

04-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Couch to 5k

Started the couch to 5k today. It's not pretty, but then it never is. Actually when I finished I was thinking to myself, "Gosh that was a lot easier than I had anticipated." Then I realized I had programmed my watch to do half the workout!

Anyway here's what square one looks like:

I hope you don't mind if I post my progress here from time to time... keep me honest. How are y'alls workouts going, if you're in a place that you can do that?
04-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
soiledshorts
Banned

Can you explain the couch to 5k program a bit? I've never heard of it
04-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Keona

right on!!
Dx Endometriosis April 2011

"if nothing changes - nothing changes

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530585394
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Can you explain the couch to 5k program a bit? I've never heard of it
The Couch to 5k is basically a training program to get people who have no fitness or who have lost their fitness up to recommended levels. In two months it trains you up to running a 5k. I think it's an extremely valuable tool in preventing people from getting over enthusiastic and burning themselves out when they decide to "get fit."
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
slightlysilly

My Support Groups:
You know, when I was on 40mgs of Prednisone and full of energy, I would have considered the couch to 5k... but now that I'm on a measly 7.5 and tapering down... the thought has lost its luster....

Good luck though! and Rock on!

Cheers!

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - 11/03/2010
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease 03/10/2011
Diagnosed with med induced lupus due to Remicade 01/2013
Was on Humira, didn't improve anything.

Currently on:
Cimzia
Pentasa
Buckets and buckets of Ultram and Vicodin.

Ileocolectomy scheduled for 11/18/2013

My Blog: www.gimpycolon.wordpress.com

04-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Keona

lol..Maura...
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's excellent going. It's always amazing to see how you progress! I was doing well till I went into hospital. Now I'm scared to do a 20 min run incase I can't make it. I keep putting it off...
04-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
tiloah

My Support Groups:
That's excellent going. It's always amazing to see how you progress! I was doing well till I went into hospital. Now I'm scared to do a 20 min run incase I can't make it. I keep putting it off...
Try the program! Even if you "can't make it," at least you'll be on the track to getting back there.

I know how unbelievably frustrating it is... Your brain thinks you are capable of so much more than your body because it remembers what you used to be able to do. That's why the program is so important (for me at least) because even if I feel like I can do more, I am making sure I only do what my body is capable of right now.
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
tiloah

My Support Groups:
You know, when I was on 40mgs of Prednisone and full of energy, I would have considered the couch to 5k... but now that I'm on a measly 7.5 and tapering down... the thought has lost its luster....

Good luck though! and Rock on!

Cheers!
Yea I am really not looking forward to tapering. My doc seems to think it will put me in remission and I will stay there, so I'm starting to exercise now and he better be right! I am not going to have another "flare" interrupt my training.
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Try the program! Even if you "can't make it," at least you'll be on the track to getting back there.

I know how unbelievably frustrating it is... Your brain thinks you are capable of so much more than your body because it remembers what you used to be able to do. That's why the program is so important (for me at least) because even if I feel like I can do more, I am making sure I only do what my body is capable of right now.
I can still do 15 mins of continuous running so I don't think I need to start again from the beginning lol. I just need to brave it! I was only in hospital for 4 days so I didn't get too side tracked. Was annoying though, because the week before I had done 5k and was about to do my first official 5k before I suddenly got ill! Grr!

I see what you mean though. I've been using micoach which allows me to know I'm not taking things too fast. Sometimes you do really have to push yourself. I'm often capable of doing more than I think I can!
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Sha0913

I love love love this idea. I have always been active, even when I was fighting Crohns when I was younger, but for some reason, I have felt drained and have really wanted to get active again, if you dont count 4 kids, work, soccer teams and sooo much more not active. I am starting this on Monday April 11th, it is supposed to be 80 degrees here. i am so excited, thanks for the info.
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12
***I definitely have Bowels.....of Longsuffering
[SIGPIC]
04-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I can still do 15 mins of continuous running so I don't think I need to start again from the beginning lol. I just need to brave it! I was only in hospital for 4 days so I didn't get too side tracked. Was annoying though, because the week before I had done 5k and was about to do my first official 5k before I suddenly got ill! Grr!

I see what you mean though. I've been using micoach which allows me to know I'm not taking things too fast. Sometimes you do really have to push yourself. I'm often capable of doing more than I think I can!
Well regardless of what you're capable of, I was trying to say it's OK if you can't "make it." I just mean don't put expectations on yourself to the point where you're not doing anything at all. Just do what you can!
04-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I love love love this idea. I have always been active, even when I was fighting Crohns when I was younger, but for some reason, I have felt drained and have really wanted to get active again, if you dont count 4 kids, work, soccer teams and sooo much more not active. I am starting this on Monday April 11th, it is supposed to be 80 degrees here. i am so excited, thanks for the info.
Awesome! Post here with your progress so we can keep each other motivated! You're a brave soul to exercise in 80 degree whether though. I would wilt after 15 seconds!
04-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I'm pretty good at being hard on myself when it comes to running!

Still, the weather is lovely at the moment so I'm going to aim to give it a try on Saturday evening on Sunday.
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I'm pretty good at being hard on myself when it comes to running!

Still, the weather is lovely at the moment so I'm going to aim to give it a try on Saturday evening on Sunday.
That sounds nice. Remember to enjoy it.

We moved right before the beginning of winter to our new place that's right next to a park with a nice trail (on the big lake outside of Seattle, Lake Washington). Yesterday was the first time I've been able to take advantage of it. It's finally warm enough/staying light out long enough. It was nice and so beautiful! I do appreciate the brisk weather though, I'll be in trouble when it gets warmer.
04-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
diesanduhr - What model of Garmin do you have to get the printout like that? I am still trying to get back into runnng as I wasn't well earlier in the year. I did 1 km on Saturday.

I was planning on getting out a couple of evenings this week to run but did not. Your post has inspired me to get out for a run tomorrow morning and Sunday morning.

Mark
04-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I have this Garmin watch. It's an older model but a lot of people I knew back when I was more involved with the running community preferred it over the newer ones. I have heard there is a thing called "My Tracks" on smart phones (Android?) that will track where you are in Google Maps. Pretty nuts! I love my Garmin. I usually run with a heart rate monitor too, but I haven't dug that out yet.

I'm glad you are going to go running! I'm glad to hear you are well enough to try getting back into it. It's amazing how significantly being sick can affect our ability to take care of ourselves.
04-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
diesanduhr- That is the same Garmin that my wife has. I use the forerunner 201 that was a hand me down from her when she bought the 305.

I did 2.14km (a little over 1.25 miles) in 15:05 this morning. I did 3 and 1's (ran for 3 minutes and walked for a minute).

Mark
04-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
ameslouise

Good luck! And yes, please keep us posted on your progress!!

- Ames
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
tiloah

My Support Groups:
diesanduhr- That is the same Garmin that my wife has. I use the forerunner 201 that was a hand me down from her when she bought the 305.

I did 2.14km (a little over 1.25 miles) in 15:05 this morning. I did 3 and 1's (ran for 3 minutes and walked for a minute).

Mark
That's awesome! Keep up the good work.
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Getting stronger... I don't want to go back to skating until I see my doc again. I want to ask if surgery is entirely unreasonable. I would hate to start skating and have my heart broken again by having to stop again.

I really want to do another half marathon for the CCFA but I don't think I could raise the funds. Last time I didn't meet the fundraising minimum and it came out of pocket. Hrm. But I am getting ahead of myself.
04-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #22
Sha0913

I havent figured out how to post my running charts, but I am finishing up my second week and already, even though sorer than ever, am feeling so much stronger and better. Thanks so much for posting this info so that we could enjoy it too. There is a Guts and Glory CCFA 5k in Ocean City NJ that I'm planning to attend and the only thing out of pocket is the $20 registration and then you can get no sponsers or lots.

Also what kind of skating? diesanduhr
04-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #23
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I havent figured out how to post my running charts, but I am finishing up my second week and already, even though sorer than ever, am feeling so much stronger and better. Thanks so much for posting this info so that we could enjoy it too. There is a Guts and Glory CCFA 5k in Ocean City NJ that I'm planning to attend and the only thing out of pocket is the $20 registration and then you can get no sponsers or lots.

Also what kind of skating? diesanduhr
That's so great! Let us know on here if you decide to fundraise. I am chugging along in the program. Some days I wake up with so much pain I am hunched over and have trouble walking - I don't run on those days. Hehe.

I have been training to play roller derby. Thus far the league I want to play for has not picked me up, but I know when they do it will feel so good to look back at how much work I put in to get there.
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #24
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've been sidelined with bronchitis / respratory infection since Tuesday so unfortunately the running is not getting done. I am going to try to get out mid week.

Mark
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #25
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Ugh bronchitis! Get some rest and feel better.
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #26
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am feeling better today. I was supposed to be off work Wednesday and Thursday but I ended up going into the office Wednesday morning to finish up a report and doing a bit of work from remotely from home.
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #27
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
That's great you are doing that. My wife and I have recently began running again since the weather is a bit nicer. We are also working towards the 5k. We are using the FIRST (The Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan. If i ever actually hook up my garmin to my computer we will post our workouts.
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #28
tiloah

My Support Groups:
That's great you are doing that. My wife and I have recently began running again since the weather is a bit nicer. We are also working towards the 5k. We are using the FIRST (The Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan. If i ever actually hook up my garmin to my computer we will post our workouts.
Oooh I have never heard of FIRST before, that's neat! I am drawn to it because it includes the word "scientific." Keep us updated on your progress even if you don't connect the Garmin.
04-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #29
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
W00t just got back from my lunch run, short 2.4 miles, but it felt great to get out and feel the nice weather. Can't run tonight so just used my lunch instead. Anyone useing the Merrell Barefoot shoes? I use the Vibram Five Fingers and need a regular shoe because the military doesn't allow the five fingers any more.
05-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #30
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I did 3.4 km (just over 2 miles) tonight before supper, first time out in 2 weeks.