Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » If you had a chance would you chose a no crohns life?

View Poll Results: If you had a chance would you take back getting sick?
yes 211 83.40%
no 17 6.72%
not sure 25 9.88%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

10-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #31
Slim Johnson

...and I have no idea whats to come...
None of us do my friend.

I hope you have begun taking things one day at a time when you get ill. For me, there is less chance of depressing thoughts coming from what I wanted to do last week, but can't do now. For you, I guess this would apply outside of the good times.

Let's all hope that the Stem Cell therapies will come about the general markets soon. I would love to see a Sub-forum dedicated to the success stories of being "cured" with SCT.
10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #32
LindaS

My Support Groups:
I have had Crohn's for 24 years. I didn't change schools when I wanted to in order to stay close to home where my mother could drive me to the hospital in the middle of the night when needed, I have stayed at jobs that sucked just because of the health insurance. I missed countless family occasions because I was either in the hospital or extremely sick. I have spent thousands of dollars on co-pays and lost even more on missed work. I am in pain more often than not, spend a lot of time in the bathroom and wasted even more in doctor's waiting rooms. If I didn't have Crohn's my husband & I would have tried for a second child (because I wouldn't have been so sick with the first). I would give this back in a heartbeat!
10-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #33
Nyx

My Support Groups:
While I would certainly give this disease up in a heartbeat, it has formed who I am in the grand scheme of things. Now that I have a colostomy, I basically got my life back. But, knowing that it could recur at any time, anywhere, makes me conscious and more empathetic to others. Really, who wants a chronic illness?? I guess it's what we do with what we're dealt is the real question here.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

10-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #34
Slim Johnson

Wow Linda!! You are one tough cookie!

I have had Crohn's for 24 years. I didn't change schools when I wanted to in order to stay close to home where my mother could drive me to the hospital in the middle of the night when needed, I have stayed at jobs that sucked just because of the health insurance. I missed countless family occasions because I was either in the hospital or extremely sick. I have spent thousands of dollars on co-pays and lost even more on missed work. I am in pain more often than not, spend a lot of time in the bathroom and wasted even more in doctor's waiting rooms. If I didn't have Crohn's my husband & I would have tried for a second child (because I wouldn't have been so sick with the first). I would give this back in a heartbeat!
10-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #35
kiny

Of course

I doubt anyone who has really been hit hard by the disease would ever say it has been a good thing.

I was a few inches from death at one point, I have missed so much of my chances, I have missed school, broke up relationships, wasted time, have less of a job opportunity, so many things..

I am now stronger, completely recovered, but that doesn't take away that I wish this would have never happened.

If you gave me the option I would push the NO Crohn's button a 1000 times over.

Last edited by kiny; 10-15-2011 at 09:51 AM.
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Jefferson

It was over 20 years ago when I was diagnosed. Naturally it was upsetting but my mother told me you have just one day to "grieve" and then you have to get up and carry on with life.

Since that fall day I've become a parent to two beautiful girls, one who's marching in the #1 High School marching band in Michigan and ranked 9th in the country, watch for them in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in NYC! I've also traveled most of the States and spent over two weeks at a Korean Orphanage for the Deaf as a missionary in 2002. Although I fell out of remisson in 2005, divorced in 2006, I trained for and finished a half marathon in Miami in 2008 with the CCFA's Team Challenge, what was rush that was! Finally, I'm married again and to the most wonderful woman in the world

It has been a bumpy road too but I try and let those bumps pass. Of course at this writing I'm juggling of all things crohns and a Thyroid Cancer diagnosis in which I'm still waiting on word if it's spread to my lungs... ugh! Not going to give up, I've still got a lot to accomplish in life.

Cheers!

Diagnosed Crohns/Colitis: September 1990
Resections: 1995 & 2005
No Gallbladder!!
Hernia repairs: 7 at last count since 2004

Currently on: Remicade (750 mg every 8 wks) 6-MP, Colazal, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, and B-12 injections

Previous Meds: Prednisone, Flagyl, Colostid, Lyrica, Cipro, Rowasa

Team Challenge Alum and proud member of the Michigan CCFA

http://www.facebook.com/jeff1025
10-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
braveheart
Passionate Dreamer

Crohn is a kind of bad dream and I wish to wake up some day.
I have no doubts about it. I definitively choose not to have it.
10-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
breezy822

My Support Groups:
Would I chose a no Chron's life?

In a New York minute.

I became symptomatic while I was pregnant with my son who is now almost 20. His entire life, he has known his mom as being sick. While I have many periods of remission, the concern is always with him. I can see it on his face. He has became overly protective of me and I know that he is constantly worrying. I just came back from visiting him at college for the weekend (he is 8 hours away) and the traveling has wiped me out. I could not go to work and am in the bed sick. He feels guilty because I came to see him.

So would I chose a no Chron's life...You bet I would!!!!
10-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #39
Pwndkake
Hark! A Lurker!

I've been pretty lucky so far, especially in my negligence of keeping this beast under control, but yes I would take it all back if I could. The only benefit has been dramatic weight loss and better(?) diet. (Diagnosed at 17, went from 280lbs. to 200lbs. in 3 weeks)

'Nerdy Twit' is an anagram for 'Trendy Wit'
10-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #40
glory_h

My Support Groups:
I am thankful for the things Crohn's has taught me - empathy probably being towards the top of that list. But I would still jump over the moon if I could have chosen a life without it. There are positives, yes, I'm pretty sure I would have learned empathy through other, less devastating life lessons.
10-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #41
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

it did force me to address my health in my early 30's. as of now, i would take it back in a heart beat but who knows? maybe if i didn't have i would not consider becoming a vegetarian and then get cancer at 50 so it's too early to tell. as of now, i'd take not having it. Ask me again in 20 years.
10-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #42
Mr Bedfordshire

My Support Groups:
My honest opinion is that those who are unsure or who WOULD choose a crohns life are nuts! Why on earth would u want this life crushing,destroying,bast*rd of an illness????!!!!! Come on people,be honest-we ALL would choose a non crohns life!

Yes you may have met people,been there,done that,but come on guys...really??!

Rant over

Started with Colitis 2003 after salmonella?!..
J-Pouch from 2005
Crohns Diagnosed 2010
Current meds:
**Started remicade-October 2011**
2g Pentasa Granules
Codeine (the ONLY thing that stops me going a lot!!)
esomeprazole, omega 3 and D Vitamins.
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #43
Nerple

My Support Groups:
Hell yes I would. It wouldn't be on the top of my list of wishes if some magical genie came out of a lamp I was rubbing. It wouldn't even be the first medical condition I wish I didn't have anymore, but nothing good has come from Crohn's in my life.
10-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #44
misterquin

I can't imagine why anyone would argue otherwise, but I wish with every fiber of my being that I was never diagnosed with Crohn's disease. There are no positives to having this disease. None.

Diagnosed with Crohn's in 2009

Currently on: Prednisone (15mg), Azathioprine, Cimzia, Clonazepam, Florastor, Align

If you're interested in hearing my music heavily influenced by my battle with Crohn's, here's the site:

http://alexanderquin.bandcamp.com/album/suspension-2
10-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #45
AbdoAlien

Absolutely hate the whole crohns thing! Yeah my life would be different, but at least I could do what I wanted, when I wanted...Wish I never got the stupid disease!!!
11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #46
hangingon

i wouldn't hesitate for a second if offered the chance to go back and do it all over without this disease. every aspect of my life has been affected. so yes. in a heartbeat.

dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #47
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I was diagnosed when I was a child so its really all I know. I have no idea if I would have been better off without the diagnosis. Its opened up possibilities in schooling but who knows if I could have done that on my own or not.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
11-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #48
danielleD

I wish everyday I didn't have crohns !!! It is not an easy thing to deal with , it not only affects me but my family (my poor mom) my bf of 11 years and my friends .. I hate it !! There is so much I want to do and can't :/ .. I was get marry this month !!he finally proposed in after 10 years hehe .. and we set a date .. But then i got so sick and had to go on remicade ... meds are to much .. and now im not sure when we can get marry !! and i also have HS, which they tell me now sometime goes a long with having crohns ... So you sum it up .. i would love not to have it !!
11-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #49
CyCrohn'sGuy

My Support Groups:
Would I prefer a non-crohn's life?

In an instant. I have had Crohn's since 1998 without any major symptoms until a few years ago. The last 4 years have been an absolute nightmare. I can honestly say that if I was to go through again what I have already been through then I would simply give up. I know myself and although I may be a stronger person now for having survived through it all, next time round I would not cope. This disease has brought me nothing but misery - personally, professionally and financially.

Phew....I need a cup of tea now!!!

Current Meds: Humira, Warfarin

Surgery: 24th August 2010 - perforated Ilieum (80 cm removed)
6th November 2010 - Blood Clot in left lung due to surgery
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #50
bigtruck

It's nothing only a hateful horrible bastard of a disease not only do I wish I'd never had it, I wouldn't wish it on my enemy's.
11-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #51
social me

I have only been diagnosed since March but so far it's made me miss out on som many family/friend events it's horrible. Not to mention the amount of money between frequent doc apt., meds, now counseling for anxiety and depression. I was healthy before Crohns and now my body doesn't do what I need it to do much days. I just want to be healthy and feel healthy and I havent felt that since, so no. But I do believe it could be so much worse.
Asacol 400mg 2pills 3x daily
Remicade First treatment for Crohns 4-12-11
B12 shots once a week

Been on Remicade for over 2 years for other immune disorder I have. Docs not sure this treatment will be effective for me as a treatment for Crohns.

Come to me and I will give you rest -- all of you who work so hard beneath a heavy yoke for I am gentle and humble, and you shall find rest for your souls; Matthew 11: 28-29 TLB
12-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #52
kristyn

While I hate the disease and everything it has done to negativly impact my life, I am stronger mentally and more compassionate to other people with illnesses. It put my life in perspective. In the big picture, it is a small piece.
01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #53
RissaIUP2016

I'm not sure. I know that my life would be a lot easier if I didn't have it, especially with college and being 19. I feel like it can hold me back some, but also make me more mature and aware of whats around me. Having it is a major pain, but once its under control hopefully it wont be as bad.

Diagnosed: October 17, 2012

Imuran 50MG
Started Humira 1/25/13
Surgery Coming December 2013

01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #54
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Although I hate having this disease, it has made me who I am. I was forced to grow up. I have more appreciation for the small things. In a complicated way, if I did not have my flare in 2009, I would of never met my boyfriend, the man I intend on marrying one day.
But on the other hand, having Crohn's has destroyed certain aspects of my life, but I think it was God's way of saying that my plans were not his.
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #55
celeyonn

Has anyone's doctor ever mentioned a self to self fecal matter transplant by removal of matter, removing the harmful bacteria from the matter, culturing the healthy bacteria in the matter, and finally re-instating the original matter. This should minimize the immune response to the new healthy bacteria.
01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #56
SilverFirePrime

I'm going to say I would choose a no Crohn's life. Why? Because as it hit me at such a young age, it has shaped who I am.

Suffering through the physical symptoms taught me resilience and empathy. The disease was a key part of me falling into a deep depression, but through the depression I learned so much about myself. An awakening/cementing of my religious beliefs broke me free from depression, and I emerged a stronger and better person.

Had I not gotten sick in college, I don't know if I would have met the people I did, or if they would have had the same influences on me, namely my hobbies and music preference.

Most importantly, I don't think I ever would have met my wife. She is such a perfect fit for me, I don't know what I would do without her.
01-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #57
Guest2383

That is very true, zilla. It's all relative, isn't it? This disease certainly affects us all in different ways with varying degrees of severity. I'm sure the answer to this question may simply depend on where you are in life.
In complete agreement with you,Loriebird. I guess much depends on your age when symptoms first arise and the duration of the illness. I had clocked up half a century before the curse struck.

After 18 years of toilet sprinting, I am not an avid fan of CD; but there are far more debilitating diseases out there. I try to live my life around the problem and not let it take control.

Not always easy, but there is no point in wallowing in self- pity and making yourself a 'Pain in the Butt' [pun intended] to innocent bystanders!

Looking on the bright side, I am approaching the biblical three score years and ten which, as an 'angry young man' I never thought would happen!

Yours in Crohn's,
Cheers,
Merv

Last edited by Guest2383; 01-19-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Typo
01-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #58
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Interesting question. I'm not sure that I would, despite the pain and misery, because it has helped me in many ways. I've been able to understand chronic illness in a way that no one else could of course, which has helped me emotionally in dealing with my mom's chronic illness (gastroparesis). It's helped her as well, knowing that I truly understand how she feels. Also, I have more empathy, understanding, and patience for those who suffer in life. And I see the small joys in life that I didn't before. My priorities and what's important are more clear.
01-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #59
gracifer

I hate this disease and EVERYTHING it's brought with it, I sometimes wonder if I'm in a nightmare and someone just needs to come along and wake me up. Yeah I know it could be a hell of a lot worse, but I guess it's all relative. So I can safely say I would definitely take back being sick and lead a 'normal' life, because being in the Crohn's club is just miserable.
01-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #60
Susan2

My Support Groups:
To be brutally honest, yes, I would choose a no-Crohn's life.

I might not have learnt some of the things that I have learnt, but I am sure that I would have learnt other, equally important things. I could have worked longer and without the interruptions that the Crohn's caused; I liked being a teacher and, from all accounts, was a very good one, but my teaching career was cut short.

And I could have done without vommitting in gutters and on the side of the road, having "accidents'" (what a ridiculous word for losing the contents of your bowels in public places) in supermarkets, my car, hotel and motel beds and my own bed and having faeces dribbling down my legs as I tried to decide whether it would be better to walk slowly and carefully or to run as fast as I could.

And, of course, the hours of kneeling on the floor, throwing up into the toilet in between hastily sittiing on it when when the diarrhoea struck.

Sorry, but you did ask!
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.

Last edited by Susan2; 01-19-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » If you had a chance would you chose a no crohns life?