Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you had your appendix removed?

View Poll Results: Have you had your appendix removed?
Yes 158 55.63%
No 126 44.37%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

03-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #31
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had mine out about 2 years before I was diagnosed with Crohn's.
10-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #32
Christie

mine was removed with part of my bowel
10-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #33
breezy822

My Support Groups:
Mine came out along with 13 inches of my colon. It was also infected.
10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #34
SugarberryGA

My Support Groups:
Ruptured appendix - 2007
Diagnosed with Crohn's 1984
Gallbladder removed in 1982.
10-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #35
AbdoAlien

Mine came out in 2005...was before I was diagnosed, but GI thinks now was a flare up to my crohns....
10-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #36
archie

mine was removed as part of the resection, pathology report revealed a carcinoid tumor on it, so glad its away!

Diagnosed Crohn's 2010
ileocecal resection 2010
Meds: Nil and in remission

10-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #37
kllyeve

My Support Groups:
No I still have mine - even though when they did my hysterectomy I wanted them to take it out to avoid another future abdominal surgery - this before I knew I had crohn's. I am now missing ovaries, tubes, uterus, gallbladder, and tonsils - so the only thing left to cause problems is the dammned appendix. Oh and the thyroid crapped out and my immune system is screwed up.

Maybe we shold start a poll of the body systems we have that ARE STILL WORKING and IN ONE PIECE. (sorry its a bad day around here)
10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #38
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I had mine when I was diagnosed. Years later my Crohn's worsened to the point where I needed surgery, and it was infected and filled with pus so it came out with the rest.
10-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #39
kattystock

My Support Groups:
I had mine removed when they took out 10-12 inches of my large intestine but only because it also had signs of Crohn's otherwise they would have left it alone.
10-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #40
summerday

Mine came out with the 12 inches of colon and a large chunk of the small as well. I was under the impression it was useless anyway?
10-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #41
Aaron1333

Mine came out with my bowel, it wasn't infected at all just attached to an abcess but they thought they might as well remove it Atleast i'll never get appendicitus
10-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #42
sandra

hi i had my appendix removed 4 years ago, and in september this year was diagnosed with crohns, my docs question wether this was the start off this desease, also 32 years ago my brother got taken into hospital with suspected appendicitus ,and turns out it wasnt but crohn desease,just thought i had to share this with you x
11-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #43
sunflower

My Support Groups:
They thought I had appendicitis when I went into the ER with my Crohn's for the first time - even though my pain was on the left and it is on the right. A good ER doc save my appendx that night, but a week later they did an exploratory because they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They removed it then. I threw a fit and yelled at the doctor. (I was much younger then, but I would still tell them a thing or two). I did not give permission for it to be removed when it was pink and healthy!!!

Seems silly now, but I was really mad. It was probably the most healthy part of my whole entire colon at the time, and they took it out. Colonoscopy several weeks later (done by a gastro) showed very little normal bowel. He said he had never seen so many ulcers so evenly distributed throughout. So, why didn't they take my colon and leave my lovely healthy appendix?? LOL!!!!
11-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I still have mine. When I was 12 I had terrible lower abdominal pains. At the time the Dr said it could be appendicitis, but turned out to be a flare. I was not diagnosed till much later, but realized these "episodes" of stomach pain now made sense.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
11-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #45
SmileyMinx

Mine came out in August 2000. My physician's assitant at the time did a very funny test to find out if my abdominal pain was appendicitis. I couldn't stand up straight because the pain was so bad. She had me lie flat on the table and then she tapped the bottom of my feet. I screamed. She said, "Yep, it's your appendix. I want you to go to the hospital right now."
11-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #46
DougUte

My Support Groups:
It's gone. It was attached to the start of my colon, which was removed.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
11-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #47
moogie

I had mine removed when they did my first resection. I was already sick with CD then so in my case I think that with or without the appendix it made little difference.

When they removed mine back in 1988 they told me it would be better this way they would not mistake a falre up with what is the english word for the appendix exploding? :-) I forget.
Remicaide
Getting Remicade every 8 weeks
Getting 5mg now. full dose. cost 5500$ )
Purinathol 75mg a day

3 resections
2 colostomy
One Ileostomy
Back to normal since May 2015
On Remicade Since April 2011 I am alive again!
11-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #48
lookame

My Support Groups:
I was thought to have appendicitis in 2007, turned out to be a severe kidney infection. Very high fever, white cells where pouring out in my urine. I went to the ER to be seen and after a good 3-4 hour wait with a fever of 103 I decided to take some tylenol and went to an urgent care facility which I got medicine, an x-ray, a urinalysis and treatment within 1/2 an hour.

Two years later I began spewing blood out of my anus...thus UC/crohns was born.

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
11-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #49
lookame

My Support Groups:
When they removed mine back in 1988 they told me it would be better this way they would not mistake a falre up with what is the english word for the appendix exploding? :-) I forget.
appendicitis I beleive this is the term which explains both the inflammation of the appendix as well as the appendix exploding
02-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #50
Per221

T hey took mine out with ilium resection
02-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #51
bozzylozzy
Forum Monitor

I had a "grumbling appendix" which was removed last october... i still have problems. so im having my first colonoscopy on 6th feb.. to see if i have anIBD

Alternating diagnosis of:
Seronegative Inflammatory Arthritis / SAPHO syndrome

Meds:
Vitamin B12 injections
Sulfasalazine
(Previously Prednisolone.. worked a treat!)

Watch out.. there's a blonde about!
02-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
NikiB

Yes, along with 11 inches of my small bowel
Have been on Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl
Currently on 175mg Azathioprine
40 mg Humira
02-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #53
simon47

Yes , took mine out with the hemicolectomy. It was 9 inches long (creepy !). Not inflamed ,just trying to be a 3rd intestine I think. lol. On the ultrasound they didn't know if it was actually my appendix because the end was tucked behind other bits.
simon, dx severe cronic Crohn's 2009, misdiagnosed since 1982 (ibs !!!) . right hemi colectomy (60cm) two fistulas, two strictures, apendectomy (23cm) abscess on illeum "size of hotdog bun".skip lesions .current meds..aza-200mg. humira. questran.
02-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #54
DustyKat
Super Moderator

9 Inches!

There would be many a man that would like to apply those numbers to an appendage other than the appendix!

Dusty.
02-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #55
simon47

DustyKat really (blush)! actually pretty happy nothing else was removed during surgery ,lol.
02-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #56
Rain

I should still have mine, unless they didn't tell me that they removed it.

Some scientists have recently proposed that the appendix may harbour and protect bacteria that are beneficial in the function of the human colon.[9]

Loren G. Martin, a professor of physiology at Oklahoma State University, argues that the appendix has a function in fetuses and adults.[10] Endocrine cells have been found in the appendix of 11-week-old fetuses that contribute to "biological control (homeostatic) mechanisms." In adults, Martin argues that the appendix acts as a lymphatic organ. The appendix is experimentally verified as being rich in infection-fighting lymphoid cells, suggesting that it might play a role in the immune system.

He notes that doctors in the last decade have stopped removing the appendix during other surgical procedures as a routine precaution, because it can be successfully transplanted into the urinary tract to rebuild a sphincter muscle and reconstruct a functional bladder.
03-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #57
brieyourbest
Cimzia Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, it is absolutely amazing to read some of these responses. When they did my resection they took out my appendix because it had a carcinoid tumor on it and they believed it tricked my body into believing I had chronic appendicitis.
2 Corinthians 5:13 NLT
If it seems we are crazy, it is to bring glory to God. And if we are in our right minds, it is for your benefit.

Crohnie since 4/19/11

Laproscopic Ileotic Resection 11/23/11

Drugs:
I stopped taking everything. I'm a little fed up.

Visit My Crohn's Blog

YouTube: The Uncommon Flower
03-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #58
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Still got mine!
03-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #59
Beach
Forum Monitor

I think I'm the only one in the family with their appendix remaining.
03-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #60
fourdarlings

My appendix ruptured because of my Crohn's...... that was how I found out I had Crohn's disease.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you had your appendix removed?