Share Facebook

11-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #31
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
Thats great! Wife and I are doing the rock n roll half marathon in Vegas this weekend for Crohns and Colitis. Our first so it will be pretty intense I am sure. For shoes I have been running in vibram five fingers, but wouldn't recommend them anything much longer than the half marathon.
11-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #32
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thats great! Wife and I are doing the rock n roll half marathon in Vegas this weekend for Crohns and Colitis. Our first so it will be pretty intense I am sure. For shoes I have been running in vibram five fingers, but wouldn't recommend them anything much longer than the half marathon.
Have a great run in Vegas!
12-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #33
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Let us know how the half goes in Vegas. You likely won't have to deal with icy patches on the sidewalk like I did this morning.
12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
rickysmart

Just wondering if there are any runners on here? I took up running last year and did a 2.5 mile run in the summer. I was working up to doing the 8k (5 mile) at the Philadelphia Marathon last November (my wife was planning to do the half marathon there), but ended not flying down due to a flare-up. I ended up doing a 5 k on New Years Eve, but have since had some issues and have not really run since February.

I have no grand ambitions to do half’s, full’s or a triathlon, just 5k and 10 k events to help keep the blood pressure and cholesterol low.

Any thoughts / tips on what works well for running with crohn’s?

Mark
hello mate i have had crohns for 10 years and i do a lot of running it will help you a lot ,, but when my crohns plays up i get tierd quick ,but then the running has to stop ,,till i get things under control ,do not try to run unless you feel up to it and best to speak to your gp for advice,,but if you like to keep fit this can be so annoying having to stop when you get to a good standard of fitness,,i have myself just had to stop running due to flare up,,5 weeks now back to square one ,,good luck
07-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #35
margosplanet

I am a Crohnie and a runner!!! My advice keep running! I run about 5-7 miles a day, and it is my therapy; physically, but mostly mentally! I have a Facebook page called, "Keep Running Crohnies," and the goal is to encourage every Crohnie (or really anyone suffering from chronic illness) to continue to run or be active. Yes, every day I have to fight through pain, fatigue, bowel movements, etc, but the fact is I will fight through that even if I stayed in bed all day....So why not be active and do what you love?!! Just today I had to take Immodium before running because my Crohn's was acting up, but I took it, drank water and gatorade, and completed a six and a half mile run! Once you start running the symptoms will subside! So Keep pressing through the yukky feeling!
07-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #36
RRRIOT79

My Support Groups:
I was just diagnosed with Crohn's and waiting to undergo treatment. So during this time, I have been training for the Marine Corps Marathon in October but now I'm wondering with treatment and all, will I even be able to complete my training?

The doctor said I can try Remicade or Humira - which one do you think will not affect me as much when it comes to these long summer months of training? And what should I watch out for? Or what do you think I will face as far as challenges?

I don't want to give it up because at the moment, this is what is keeping me from imagining the worst and going crazy :/
07-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #37
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Not sure what the impacts if Remicade vs. Humira are on exercise. I'd say keep hydrated and make sure the electrolytes stay up
07-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #38
JMC

I took up running in February after getting an entry to the Great North Run (http://www.greatrun.org/great-north-run). Last weekend, I ran my first official 10k at the Great Newham London Run, which finished in the stadium that hosted the London 2012 Olympic Games. It was a scorchingly hot day and I was happy to finish in 57:49s.

Being the nerdy type, I have tracked every run I have done since February. I have gone from being able to run/walk only 3km in 22 mins to being able to run 5km in 25 mins, 10km in 55min and able to run 25-35km every week. I genuinely believe this exercise has helped me to feel less fatigued, sleep better and improve my Crohn's. I recently had a MRI scan and colonoscopy (due to a short flare in April) and I had no signs of disease. Although my health is not perfect (I guess the immune suppressants are not helping), taking up running has been a very positive experience for me. :-)
07-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #39
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Those are some pretty good times for starting running. Did you follow a training program?
08-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #40

I wondered if anyone could help me please. I am 41 and have a permanent colostomy (since May last year). I am a really keen runner and despite the treatment I have had to go through am really focussed on maintaining my running. I wondered if there was anyone who maybe able to help me with a problem I am having with my bag staying on during a run.

I am currently in training for a marathon at the end of September. I use a 1 piece closed coloplast bag and also use additional strips and silibond glue. The issue I have is that despite using these additional adhesive products I cannot seem to keep the bag fixed in place and by the end of a long run (anything over 10k), then the sweat generated makes the bag come unstuck.

I wondered whether you knew anyone like me who has a colostomy and who runs like me. If they could perhaps offer some help / advise it would be really appreciated, thankyou
08-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #41
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
[email protected], I did a qiuck scan of the fitness and exercise section and found this thread, not sure if it helps - http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52998

Not sure if there any threads in the Stoma Subforum in the surgery section that may provide some insight
08-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #42

Thankyou Hawkeye I appreciate your reply. I have already tried a support band (and still use), however my issue is more that the bag itself doesn't stay on.

I would love to hear from any other runners who wear a colostomy...what do you do to keep on the bag?
08-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #43
CanadianRunner

Thank you for creating this thread; I wouldn't have made a profile if not for finding out there are other runners on here. I run every day, snow or shine, minimum of 10k per day and longer on the weekend. I have qualified for Boston several times; I race competitively and typically win my age group in most races. I received my Crohn's diagnosis 3 days ago after 2 years of showing the symptoms. (I should mention that I haven't run a full marathon in over 2 years but am hoping to this winter.)

I've had two surgeries to drain my fistula and have had a seton (sometimes two) in place for the past 2 years, therefore the drainage from the seton can cause extreme chafing in my butt because of running. I have learned that I cannot run ANY distance without using anti-chafing balm down there. I also take Immodium before running any distance longer than 10 miles. I'm currently on antibiotics as well as Imuran. In 2 days I will start Remicade. I have a half marathon in one week and am very anxious to see how fast I can run while on all these drugs. I've raced two very strong half marathons already this summer, so if I run poorly next weekend, I will know why. However, after seeing the photos from my colonoscopy, I think I am lucky to be able to run at all. I hope to be able to offer support to others with their running endeavors on this thread.
08-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #44
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you for creating this thread; I wouldn't have made a profile if not for finding out there are other runners on here.
Welcome to the forum
08-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #45
CanadianRunner

[email protected]: I think you're pretty awesome for running a marathon with a colostomy bag. Which marathon is it? I don't know the bag looks like or how you wear it, but is it possible to wear it under running compression clothing, which would hold it tighter to your body? If you don't have luck getting help on this website, you might have better luck with the anal fissure support forum website. (I tried to copy the address but wasn't allowed to.)