• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Meds

Jessi

I'm sorry. Is that why you're asking about other's meds? I hope you come up with a good plan.

KWalker

I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing well. You can talk about Remicade, Humira, and Methotrexate for a few bigger ones. Remicade would be my first pick of those, Metho. Being the last because of its effects but for the most part they've all shown to be pretty helpful. Has your doctor told you specific details about your personal problems? Like how severe the infection is, or where exactly the problem is? Make sure you ask a lot of questions and have a full understanding of what he's saying.

Best of luck!

I saw my primary today and she said I have to wait to see the GI doctor and she just wants me to stay on the Asacol and Percocet. The lab also drew blood so im just waiting. The appt with GI is on the 21st.

I'm currently on Remicade, Lialda, Rowasa, Cortenema, VSL#3 and Lomotil. I've failed therapy and am awaiting surgery. Azathioprine was actually working for me when I developed pancreatitis and had to stop taking it.

There are several options starting out, it just takes awhile to find the one that is right for you.

Since you are having so much pain while already taking Percocet, you might call your primary physician and see if they will give you Flagyl or prednisone just until you can see your GI.

Total proctocolectomy with the idea of J-pouch reconnection, but I may opt to stay with an ileostomy after I've tried it out.

I'm on Prednisone and Pentasa Granules at the moment.

Unfortunately I reacted to Immuran so can't take that. Can't have 6MP as that has the same components as Immuran so will react to that as well. GI is talking Methotrexate but I'm so over reacting to stuff, MXT sounds toxic and I worry about the long term side effects as well.

My GI is concerned about the amounts of Prednisone I've been on over the past years; it has long term side effects so he said I'm almost at the end of the road with that (even though it does stop a flare for me)

Otherwise it's surgery so I'm stuck in a rut at the moment. :(

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I was on pred and salofalk, they tried Imuran which gave me pancreatitis and Remicade which gave me serum sickness.

I eventually opted to have my colon removed.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I feel awesome, and for the record, I'm pretty much a worst case scenario. So don't let my failed medications scare.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I mean I was the worst case scenario for all of my meds. I happen to be the minuscule percentage who gets the horrific side effects right off the bat. One of the worst UC cases my GI had seen. He's surprised I lasted 6 months with a colons let alone 2 years.

2th fairy and vonfunk.....it sounds like i might be one of the extreme cases you are talking about...diagnosed in march '11. since diagnoses i've been on a bunch of different drugs. am now on the maximum dose of remicade 10mg/1kg. every 4 weeks, 100 mg./6mp every day and a battery of other drugs, omperazole, vitamins, etc. etc. I was just told by a physician at the University of Chicago which is very specialized for IBD that they recommend a total colectomy of my affected colon and then reconstruction down the road. they told me humira/methatraxiate might work but doesn't have the success rate of remicade for uc patients. i'm flipping out because i know this is permanent and they want to try and do it next week. i know you will feel better after the operation but can you eat normal, how bad is the diahrea after the reconstruction, etc. etc. please let me know.

Last edited:
I first started off with 4 pills lialda and a prednisone taper, after I tapered I had urgency and blood so they added 25 mgs 6mp. It seemed to be working but after a couple of months then he checked my bloods and found it wasn't in theraputic range so he upped it to 50 mgs. After a couple of months I started noticing blood again, in the range of 3 weeks off than 1 week in remission. Then I hit a rough patch found myself in the ER and now I'm on a prednisone taper, 4 pills of lialda and 50 mgs of 6mp. Still it's unsure if I have UC or crohns which might be why I'm doing so poorly.